IGNORED

Korn and Limp Bizkit

thehauntingsoul

they came up on nu metal but pushed beyond. one of the few bands from that era with enough creative substance to really do that.

also you'd have to make a break between late 90s bands and early 00s bands, they're not quite in the same vein. (lol nitpicking about nu metal)

Edited by usagi

Pretty sure Deftones' down-tuning/7-strings + angst = nu metal despite having somehow cooked up a handful of non-cringeworthy songs out of those ingredients.

But even they sound beyond dated now compared to say, Rage Against The Machine.

I never actually heard it, but it was on my radar.  All the people I knew who were into that scene seemed to agree that those guys were on another level in terms of musicianship vs. other bands in the genre.

Deftones were definitely part of the initial nu metal scene . Adrenaline and Around the Fur both have straight up rap meta tracks with 2 0 2 3 0 2 3 0 2 3 style riffs . They didn't use 7 strings until the fourth album tho

Korn , deftones , limp brisket all part of that early offering with Coal chamber and soulfly following close behind . By the time Papa Roach came out Jonathan was sober , Fred durst had bust a nut inside Britney Spears, Chino was writing tracks like Teenager , Rob Flynn had spiky hair now (?), and I think vanilla ice even had a go :

Re: incubus ... their first EP (fungus amongus) and also Enjoy Incubus were more Bungle inspired than nu metal by Science definitely was on that train ... after that though .... whoa ... so weird to watch that band transform

omg that Vanilla Ice makeover is hilarious.  I think he would have really thrived in that scene were he not already a household punchline.  Incubus Science was funky as hell.  They were really a funk-metal band initially, then turned into more of a commercial alt rock thing... sort of a RHCP play by play.  I'm sure they were influenced by some NM shit, but it didn't really takeover their sound, just informed it a bit along with their other influences.  I never want to hear that Drive song again tho.

Edited by Zephyr_Nova

I never actually heard it, but it was on my radar.  All the people I knew who were into that scene seemed to agree that those guys were on another level in terms of musicianship vs. other bands in the genre.

Yeah, some of the tracks on LD50 bordered on prog-metal. Lots of different sections, tempo changes, odd time signatures etc.. and then there's the almost fusion-style bass playing..

Their second album was pretty good too imo.. that riff at 3:27 is

Yeah I think so.. I think the stage makeup was a major reason why they were lumped in with nu-metal tbh.. at least it's a reason why a lot of my friends don't take them seriously.

Progginess aside, I'd say they fit the nu-metal archetype pretty much bang on.  The vocals are like an amalgam of all the other NM singers put together, the stutter rhythm guitar riffs...  The one element which really sticks out as odd for the genre is the jazzy fretless bass stuff.  Those guitar riffs made me think of these guys, who I totally forgot about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp7Zih3HpjE

Which makes me think of these guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxv-Q_hhiSo

Black vocalists in metal bands are pretty much always awesome.

Edited by Zephyr_Nova

I kinda like Sevendust, but ever since the Lost In Vegas guys pointed out that they sound a bit watered down/mainstream compared to other metal bands, I'm now very wary of that and can't hear them any other way lol

Anyone else used to listen to Clutch back then too? They were unfairly lumped into (or seen as the insemination of) the nu metal scene. The only band I listened to back then that I still listen to now.

Even if I sometimes get cringe chills and think of 'Blues Hammer' in Ghost World when I listen :^)

I like Korns first couple albums still but damn they were responsible for a lot of other bands making absolutely terrible music that were previously ok. Look at this :

https://youtu.be/5uYv5Y8HZnk

https://youtu.be/HJzeJiHHQOY

lol I loved both of those albums as a teenager. Both bands ended up releasing much better music later on though! (and in Machine Head's case, before that album as well).

Soulfly's later stuff got kinda thrashy, worth a listen if you've skipped it. But yeah I agree, CC is amazing. I think I even like it more than Max era Sepultura..

100 points for originality:

I can't tell if I'm super impressed about the effort put to the aping or should I just give a huge facepalm. Didn't know this was a thing (apparently)

LD50 is a ridiculously awesome album

finally someone agrees

Saw the promo vid for Dig and it made a big impact. The album had so many good tracks -4, Everything and Nothing and Nothing to Gein come to mind. Another band which I dug from "Sickness collective" was American Head Charge. Saw them when they opened for Slipknot back in 2002. I actually liked their set better. So War Of Art was another winner. Aside for those two I really dug Dog Fashion Disco (SOAD/Bungle inspired stuff)

Fetus on The Beat (the version from Committed To a Bright Future) was/is also :music:

lol Spiral, your Clutch is too underground for this thread. Never liked Papa Roach or Linkin Park though so I must have still some street credibility here. Also, need to point out that Mushroomhead was just poop....and so was Downthesun

Metal Injection reminded me of these guys, who I can't believe are still a thing, they're going out on another tour and apparently the debut is 20 years old now:

I remember kinda digging the first album and being bored with the second and realized these guys were going to continue to write the exact same song over and over and over... then they became that band that wrote songs for the soundtracks of movies starring The Rock and Navy recruitment commercials.

Which also makes me come to think about Disturbed, can't believe those guys have such a strong following still, IMO they sucked from the beginning. Their vocalist is fucking godawful. 

As for Clutch, I always thought of them as a bit too sludgey/grungy to fit into nu-metal. Haven't heard anything of thiers in years but I guess the one they put out this year is supposed to be decent.

Edited by ghOsty

Anybody who complains about how bad modern pop/top40 music is should go live back to the musical wasteland that was late 90s - early 2000s. And I don't mean just nu-metal. All the horrid watered down R&B, teen stars, super bland rock, etc.

There was of course great music coming out also, but it got nowhere near the top lists that were being force fed everywhere.

Yeah there was a lot of really mediocre pop music in the late 90s.. but then again that's true of every era. The difference is that (seemingly) a lot of us lived through it.. but still, the fact that I even got to see Metallica and Prodigy clips on mainstream TV was pretty amazing. Just those two alone informed a lot of my future musical tastes.

Edited by modey

Yeah there was a lot of really mediocre pop music in the late 90s.. but then again that's true of every era. The difference is that (seemingly) a lot of us lived through it.. but still, the fact that I even got to see Metallica and Prodigy clips on mainstream TV was pretty amazing. Just those two alone informed a lot of my future musical tastes.

I heard both Autechre and Aphex Twin first time on MTV Europe but this was about mid-90s.

The late 80s to mid-90s period was a kind of the golden era of electronic music for me. Lots of major genres were formed during that time. Acid house, ambient house/dub, triphop, idm, breaks, jungle, dnb, trance, psy/goa trance, minimal techno, etc, etc. And in Europe it wasn't that underground. FSOL, AFX and the Orb were on the top selling lists.

Anyone else used to listen to Clutch back then too? They were unfairly lumped into (or seen as the insemination of) the nu metal scene. The only band I listened to back then that I still listen to now.

I never actively listened to clutch but when I was 15 I was in a band with some older dudes that liked clutch, prong, crowbar, biohazard, life of agony, sick of it all, madball, fudge tunnel, godflesh, and a bunch of stuff like that.

Those guys in my band worked at tower records and stole a ton of cds and they played me that first korn album when it dropped (as well as Aphex Twin’s “On”) and it blew my fuckin mind. I remember thinking korn sounded really original, at the time. They sounded a bit like a cross between crowbar and tool with a bit of a hip hop vibe. I listened the the shit out of that cassette and was legitimately moved by it. Then, I saw them open for kmfdm and they were shit live (plus, they looked like idiots), so I had a really hard time liking them afterwards. I liked that twist song though. They were pretty much the first and last “nu-metal” band I listened to.

I never liked limp bizkit although I once ate brunch in a restaurant next to Fred Durst and there were two other dudes eating at a different table and one of them lost his temper and screamed “FUCK YOU!” at his friend and flipped over his table. Food went flying everywhere and I think his fork almost hit Fred Durst.