IGNORED

Korn and Limp Bizkit

thehauntingsoul

omg I have referenced that vid when I've wanted to demonstrate just how horrible the latter half of the 90's became.

I lived overseas on military bases from 95-98 then 99-01 and one of the aspects of that context was the fact that stateside fashion lingered another year or two overseas among the kids. BX / PX clothing options were decent but not diverse. Same with catalogs. But stuff like nu metal and rap like ICP nonetheless got disseminated. Because of this I was around JNCO jeans and long shorts for a very, very long time.

e647cdf8-d7cc-4484-b18e-f077d73febcb_1.c

Edited by joshuatx

not nu metal but this the most vivid and accurate time capsule of mainstream rock music everyone my age was listening to, actively or passively, in 1999

this is hell on earth

FLOL when I had my death metal band in college it was a running joke at practices that someone would break into this song... be warming up chugging and shredding away, then all of the sudden *that intro riff*... we found the album that song's from a t aused CD shop once and tried listening to the whole thing... lol, it's SO bad

Edited by ghOsty

This thread inspired me to visit the Limp Bizkit wiki page.

According to Durst, "The name is there to turn people's heads away. A lot of people pick up the disc and go, 'Limp Bizkit. Oh, they must suck.' Those are the people that we don't even want listening to our music."[4] Other names that were considered by Durst included Gimp Disco, Split Dickslit, Bitch Piglet, and Blood Fart.[5] Every record label that showed an interest in the band pressured its members to change its name.

Important nugget from the annuls of Nu Metal right there.

I was pretty fond of my green cargo pants.  So many pockets.  The problem with pants today is there just aren't enough pockets.

Cargo pants (M-65, BDU, call them what you want) are the only pants I wear. I love how I always have a big pocket available + they're comfortable to wear and durable. Don't need to buy that fancy male purse. :emotawesomepm9: I just hate jeans. Most uncomfortable piece of clothing imo.

I have a stack of old Metal Hammers and Terrorizers which I've been revisiting lately just for laughs and there are some hilarous stuff. I.e. take this one old Slipknot interview. How pompous do these sound: "I want the biggest metal breakdown ever" - #6 Clown (haha got that right), "There would be a big pile of corpses at truck stops" - #7 Mick "Hate" Thomson, "I crave for total insanity"- #8 Corey Taylor plus many other class A proclamations. Maybe 15 yo me took them with awe. Strikes some teen nerve I guess

But new metal....dudes, you always overlook CC

bumping, bumping and looking eh, full of colours

On a totally serious note, at the time MH, Terrorizer and Earache tooted this as the best thing of the decade (that is until System Of A Down S/T came):

I remember I was way more into Three Dollar Bill Y'all$ than Significant Other which was too Hip Hop for my pleasure. Also guilty for playing in a nu band. Even had a 7 string "Korn stick".

When I was in Year 9 this girl moved over from Sweden and was really into stuff like Korn. At the end of the year she won a school-wide talent contest by doing an interpretive dance to something from the just-released Take a Look in the Mirror.

Sadly, the following year she ended up being the high school cohort tragedy, a seeming double suicide type of thing with an older boyfriend. Did a debate with her not long beforehand, had a very fun character.

For a more amusing change of pace, when I was 11 we had a class where groups of students had to choose a song and write out the lyrics for a class singalong (our teacher was this indigenous dude who was never far away from a guitar and worshiped Creedence). His choice was Down on the Corner. One group chose Wait and Bleed (Slipknot). Watching the teacher sing-along a fair way in then trail off in dismay, "ah guys, that's a bit inappropriate". I just lost it!

Nu-metal for my age bracket came hand in hand with Pokemon cards, I moved on before I was old enough to adopt such a scenester look, or play in a band. I probably didn't even have any black attire back then!

Edited by Roo

Pics of yourself in your nu-metal phase GO:

lolled a bit before realizing the sad fact that I actually look more or less the same than I did those days. Can't even grow a beard. Low T levels maybe?

Years ago i made a mega mix of all those nu metal moments where the singer just repeats something and the music gets more and more intense usually around the bridge. I was never a fan of Coal Chamber so when I went to listen to their stuff to find those moments i realized the first album is pretty much JUST THOSE MOMENTS lol. like every song is him repeating shit in that nu metal way.

Also If any of u guyz have recordings of your nu metal bands I will post mine :cat:

Edited by colunga

[pic of me 17 years old with dreadlocks & sun glasses & camo shorts & KoRn t-shirt telepathically inserted from some attic box at my parent's place]

Years ago i made a mega mix of all those nu metal moments where the singer just repeats something and the music gets more and more intense usually around the bridge

Plz post.  Were this a video, it would prob go viral.

My highschool band formed before nu-metal became a thing, so while we were into some of that stuff when it came out it didn't have a huge influence.  I had one song that was directly influenced by Korn and that's about it... the main riff was maybe 80% Tool, but in drop C.  My tuning did not like that song.  

My highschool band played covers of Metallica, Korn, Limp Bizkit and Blink 182 songs.. and sounded like a mixture of all of those. Yeah, bad.

Pics of yourself in your nu-metal phase GO:

I actually don't think any photos were taken of me in that phase.. thank fuck!

Also If any of u guyz have recordings of your nu metal bands I will post mine :cat:

oh man, I'll go through some old files, surely I've got something. We didn't make many recordings with vocals though..

• 3 weeks later...

lol I would 100% be down for making some nu metal.

I consider the first three Korn albums to be classics. Super original riffs and melodic structures for the time.

We need a nu metal thread. I still listen to bands like Mudvayne, Spineshank, Flaw etc regularly.

LD50 is a ridiculously awesome album

We need a nu metal thread.

This is basically the nu metal thread.  

So who do you reckon are the Big 4 of nu Metal?

Korn, obviously...

Limp Bizkit, probably...

Slipknot?

Papa Roach?

Mudvayne?  Nah, they never really exploded in the same way... they were for more advanced hipster nu-metallers.

Coal Chamber?

I'm going to go with Korn, LB, Slipknot and Papa Roach.  That encapsulates the era pretty well.

Fear Factory dabbled a fair bit with Nu Metal ideas on Digimortal.  That was actually a pretty interesting blend of tech/death/industrial metal with nu.  It was a bold move.

Edited by Zephyr_Nova