IGNORED

British Culture

Guest ezkerraldean

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/29/2023 at 1:37 AM, ignatius said:

Yeah. Pretty fucking cowardly thing to do. Pathetic.

5 hours ago, beerwolf said:

Yeah. Pretty fucking cowardly thing to do. Pathetic.

kids do dumb shit. if he'd been American he probably would've shot up a school or some shit instead tho

i saw someone on Mastodon saying that those types of trees do really well with being cut/trimmed and come back stronger for it in many cases but idk if there's any truth to that 

3 hours ago, auxien said:

kids do dumb shit. if he'd been American he probably would've shot up a school or some shit instead tho

i saw someone on Mastodon saying that those types of trees do really well with being cut/trimmed and come back stronger for it in many cases but idk if there's any truth to that 

Yeah he's basically coppiced it, so if sycamore is anything like birch and hazel and all that shit, if it was otherwise healthy it stands a fair chance of shooting a bunch of new shoots from the rootstock

• Like 1

tories going full backwards on public transportation and car culture. scrapping new rail lines and adding new car lanes and also some shit about forcing districts to close bus lanes and increase speeds for cars and preventing car sharing???  are you guys becoming america over there?

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.newstatesman.com%2Fpolitics%2Fconservatives%2F2023%2F10%2Fthe-tories-are-driving-themselves-to-distraction

Petty meddling aside, the plan’s most striking feature is a repeated commitment to “stop local authorities using so-called 15-minute cities to police people’s lives”. The idea of a “15-minute city” is an aspiration, perhaps utopian, of urban planners to make shops, GP surgeries and schools accessible within a short walk; it has been conflated with other policies that affect car use, such as low-traffic neighbourhoods and low-emission zones, into a plan to trap populations in a state of perpetual lockdown and surveillance. This is a conspiracy theory, copied and pasted into government policy.

Rishi Sunak himself has also announced that he will prevent “compulsory car sharing”, which is, like the “meat tax” and the mythical seven recycling bins, an entirely fictional policy. Encouraging car sharing is better than building new roads, because peak occupancy is an estimated 1.2 people per car. We are as a society currently spending a lot of money creating traffic and keeping people physically separated.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

On 10/1/2023 at 7:09 PM, auxien said:

Wise words. Tbh it made laugh, not as in laughing at kids getting shot but as in the difference between what's considered crazy in Yorkshire and what would be considered crazy in St Louis.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2023 at 11:09 AM, auxien said:

yeah.. probably. also, adults do dumb shit too. like put graffiti on rocks in national parks and monuments and ancient priceless statues etc... 

it's garbage all the way down, sir.

edit: random. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/10/03/san-francisco-cruise-driverless-car-woman-hit-and-run-crash/

Woman in hit and run is thrown into path of driverless taxi - then it runs her over and parks on her leg

Robotaxi had to be lifted off pedestrian, who was screaming in pain, after it was remotely frozen following the accident

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, beerwolf said:

the difference between what's considered crazy in Yorkshire and what would be considered crazy in St Louis.

i might become a scallywag

4 hours ago, ignatius said:

yeah.. probably. also, adults do dumb shit too. like put graffiti on rocks in national parks and monuments and ancient priceless statues etc... 

it's garbage all the way down, sir.

no doubt on that 😕

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

I'm seriously allergic to cats. As in seriously allergic to cats. So I'll probably order a double (do they serve trebles?...) Jamesons Irish Whisky. Straight on the rocks. Cheers barman. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

this is pretty great. and fucked up. i knew bullying in british public schools was a big deal and always had been but not so much as this.. i mean.. i know someone who's in her early 40s ? i don't.. anyway.. she dropped out of school at 15 or so because of the bullying. i didn't realize it is something that is so institutionalized... it's only one aspect of this podcast as it's not about that.. it's about this one dude and his type of people.. pretty interesting.. interesting british guest as well and funny.. 

Robert sits down with Ed Zitron to talk about Lord Aspinall and his gambling buddies, who ruled London high society with an iron fist and also did a murder.

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-behind-the-bastards-29236323/episode/part-one-lord-aspinall-the-gambling-128146878/

• 2 months later...

King Charles has been diagnosed with a form of cancer, says Buckingham Palace.

It is not prostate cancer, but was discovered during his recent treatment for an enlarged prostate.

The type of cancer has not been revealed, but according to a palace statement the King began "regular treatments" on Monday. Buckingham Palace says the King "remains wholly positive about his treatment and looks forward to returning to full public duty as soon as possible".

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-68208157

charles-and-harry.jpg

• Sad 1

kpXWaVn.jpeg

i wish the special powers were listed because withdrawing from the european union smoothly clearly wasn't one of them 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...