IGNORED

Apple's iPad

Rubin Farr

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so now, everyone will have an iphone, an ipod, an ipad, a macbook... what's the point of having so many devices? why not consolidate them?

i really don't see the purpose for the ipad, from what i've seen so far. it fits in nowhere. everything that it does, the iphone can do. and here's the thing: it won't have 3G, so it'll be useless for maps and internet when you're not in a place with wifi. it's a deficient macbook/ipod/iphone hybrid.

unless jobs pulls something completely amazing out of his ass before his presentation is over, this has no possibility of succeeding. it'll be like the macbook air.

maybe the battery lasts for more than 20 hours.

the battery life is 10 hours. one month standby battery life.

im watching the (live?) stream @ cnn.com, i don't know, it just looks like a giant iphone to me. not much cheering from the audience either, just awkward silence and a cough every now and then ..kind of a pain to watch really, like a crap stand up routine.

Guest blicero

Depending on price point and specs, I'd probably pick one up for school next year.

flash will become irrelevant with HTML5.

not to thread-jack, but... you're wrong.

i'm a big fan of HTML 5, but aside from inline video, audio, svg, etc... there is a ton of stuff that flash can do that can't be done in HTML5.

Guest Coalbucket PI

Not every product they make has to be amazing, but I don't know why everyone got so excited about a tablet from Apple when most people have no use for a tablet no matter how good they make it

So, I think this is going to be roughly as market changing as the iPod.

Just the number of things you can do with a multi-touch screen that size, that thin/light/portable, and that cheap.. with 10 hours battery life, internet access, etc...

And remember, tech prices go down, not up. Look at how cheap iPods (and their clones) are now.

Guest blicero

For those of you who are let down by this device, I'd really like to know what you were expecting or hoping for that didn't happen?

So, I think this is going to be roughly as market changing as the iPod.

Just the number of things you can do with a multi-touch screen that size...

browse the web and play games that's about it

Really, who is going to want a netbook after this? That market segment is going to get slaughtered, especially after the first round of price cuts.

This is going to do to netbooks what the iPod did to CD players.

Guest blicero

i think netbooks work well for business travel. working/writing/typing on a touch screen keyboard on a plane sounds miserable, and i doubt the keyboard dock would work well either on a tray table. i think there is still a need for in this scenario.

but a netbook is a full on pc even if slow, it appeals as a cheaper laptop, the pad is very limited. but yeah i guess people that want netbooks only to have a light pc to move around (to browse, take notes and show slides) will preffer this thing.

Archived