IGNORED

Apple's iPad

Rubin Farr

I don't think this type of product is really relevant or useful to that many people

Tell that to all the iPhone/iPod Touch users out there...

Depending on price point and specs, I'd probably pick one up for school next year.

flash will become irrelevant with HTML5.

not to thread-jack, but... you're wrong.

i'm a big fan of HTML 5, but aside from inline video, audio, svg, etc... there is a ton of stuff that flash can do that can't be done in HTML5.

HTML5 will eventually supplant Flash VIDEO online, but Blicero is absolutely right about Flash for interactive apps (although JQuery is encroaching upon it's space more and more).

Really, who is going to want a netbook after this? That market segment is going to get slaughtered, especially after the first round of price cuts.

This is going to do to netbooks what the iPod did to CD players.

Agreed - what I think a lot of you are failing to see is the void this product fills - there's a lot of people (myself included) that doesn't really need a full-fledged laptop for mobile computing/internet access, and a netbook is nice, but as Chaos mentioned, they are typically underpowered/slow, and, unless you're willing to go the Hackintosh route, you're stuck with Windows. Not to mention, I really don't like the whole hinged keyboard/screen combo with most laptops/netbooks - too much of a hassle. I want a device that I can do email, browsing the web, listen to music, watch a video on, and not be as large and as heavy as a laptop, nor small and clunky like a netbook (most netbook screens are horrible for browsing the web due to their odd screen shape).

This device, whether you go wi-fi only (I'm considering that since I will primarily use it around the house and/or in wi-fi hotspots, which are becoming more and more commonplace), and if I can afford the data plan (30USD/month), then I might spring for that.

I will, of course, wait until it's been out for a bit, to see what the reaction is and overall reviews are. So far though, I'm thoroughly impressed.

chaosmachine have you ever tried typing on a touch screen? it is not possible.

I don't seem to have much of a problem on my son's iTouch... granted, I wouldn't want to do any heavy coding or posting or writing on it probably... the buttons are much larger on the iPad though, so it might be easier.

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depending on price point and specs, I'd probably pick one up for school next year.

i'm a big fan of HTML 5, but aside from inline video, audio, svg, etc... there is a ton of stuff that flash can do that can't be done in HTML5.

yeah. like make the 'back' button in your browser not work properly.

when used well, flash is ok, but the overkill is killing internets

i'm thinking about web browsing... if you hold this thing in portrait mode, the width of the screen is just 768px. you know, that's even less than 800x600, and most of the websites today are made for 1024 and up.

and even if you hold it in landscape mode, it's still just 1024px of width. just like the EeePC i'm typing this on right now.

so it's either landscape mode or browsing downscaled web in portrait. or maybe count on mobile versions of websites? but that would be simply retarded.

GIZMODO sums it up perfectly---

My god, am I underwhelmed by the iPad. This is as inessential a product as I've ever seen, but beyond that, it has some absolutely backbreaking failures that will make me judge anyone who buys one.

Big, Ugly Bezel

Have you seen the bezel on this thing?! It's huge! I know you don't want to accidentally input a command when your thumb is holding it, but come on.

No Multitasking

This is a backbreaker. If this is supposed to be a replacement for netbooks, how can it possibly not have multitasking? Are you saying I can't listen to Pandora while writing a document? I can't have my Twitter app open at the same time as my browser? I can't have AIM open at the same time as my email? Are you kidding me? This alone guarantees that I will not buy this product.

No Cameras

No front facing camera is one thing. But no back facing camera either? Why the hell not? I can't imagine what the downside was for including at least one camera. Could this thing not handle video iChat?

Touch Keyboard

So much for Apple revolutionizing tablet inputs; this is the same big, ugly touchscreen keyboard we've seen on other tablets, and unless you're lying on the couch with your knees propping it up, it'll be awkward to use.

No HDMI/HD Video Out

Want to watch those nice HD videos you downloaded from iTunes on your TV? Too damned bad! If you were truly loyal, you'd just buy an AppleTV already.

The Name iPad

Get ready for Maxi pad jokes, and lots of 'em!

No Flash

No Flash is annoying but not a dealbreaker on the iPhone and iPod Touch. On something that's supposed to be closer to a netbook or laptop? It will leave huge, gaping holes in websites. I hope you don't care about streaming video! God knows not many casual internet users do. Oh wait, nevermind, they all do.

Adapters, Adapters, Adapters

So much for those smooth lines. If you want to plug anything into this, such as a digital camera, you need all sorts of ugly adapters. You need an adapter for USB for god's sake.

---

Seriously, what a terrible terrible device that was getting so much hype

if Apple came out out with a smaller version of the iPad that fits in your pocket, does everything that the iPad does AND can be used to make phone calls, id be into that

Guest JW Modestburns

I'm not sold on this yet.

The OS really needs to be more in-depth than the iphone IMO. I have a 17" macbook pro and a 1st gen iphone which I'm going to upgrade soon because the screen has a bunch of dead pixels. The macbook pro is rather large to carry around but the lack of flash, running multiple apps, no normal usb, no real file management system etc... holds back the iphone from being a full-fledged alternative for mobile computing. Making the iphone 3 times larger isn't going to make it a better alternative. The one thing that most netbooks have over this is a full OS. Can this ipad even create folders to organize apps? The iphone can't. They NEED to update the OS for this device for it to be useful.

It would also be nice if you could use this with your mac as a wacom tablet, but who am I kidding...

No Cameras

No front facing camera is one thing. But no back facing camera either? Why the hell not? I can't imagine what the downside was for including at least one camera. Could this thing not handle video iChat?

a front facing camera would've been great. i can't imagine that it would've been hard to implement. i mean, even the iphone has a camera, and it's also got a bunch of other cellphone crap crammed into there. don't the ipod nanos have cameras now too? that can record video?

i don't know what apple was thinking with this one. maybe they'll try a bit harder next time once this thing crashes and burns.

Guest pulsewarrior

The iPad ? No external storage, proprietary battery, no ports, no mouse, no OSX or Windows apps, can't run multiple apps, pathetically low amount of storage (16/32/64gb), no flash.....what's the point? It's a giant, awkward iPod touch. Average netbooks destroy this proprietary garbage.

Guest blicero

mind you, i'm not promoting Flash; in fact, I'm usually against it.

No Cameras

a front facing camera would've been great. i can't imagine that it would've been hard to implement.

not hard to implement, no. hard to implement for $500? yes.

the most important feature on this device is the price tag, IMO.

i'm still pretty shocked Apple hasn't implemented multi tasking on their Iphone OS, and that the Tablet won't have it either. Is there a specific or understandable reason why Apple hasn't done this yet?

i see some great potential here if the pad could run Logic pro or Ableton live, being able to touch instead of click with a mouse to use a program like this would be very pleasurable.

the internet is full of people bitching and moaning tonight. i seem to remember a very similar reaction to the iphone...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5oGaZIKYvo

and not just by monkeyboy.

i'm no apple fanboy, but you know what?

it will still sell in fucking droves. apple will clean up on this.

mind you, i'm not promoting Flash; in fact, I'm usually against it.

No Cameras

a front facing camera would've been great. i can't imagine that it would've been hard to implement.

not hard to implement, no. hard to implement for $500? yes.

the most important feature on this device is the price tag, IMO.

but what's the use of a cheap device when you can't do much with it? i wouldn't mind paying a grand for something that really is "revolutionary and magical" (what apple is calling the ipad :facepalm: ).

the internet is full of people bitching and moaning tonight. i seem to remember a very similar reaction to the iphone...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5oGaZIKYvo

and not just by monkeyboy.

i'm no apple fanboy, but you know what?

it will still sell in fucking droves. apple will clean up on this.

i have a love hate relationship with apple, some of their products blow me away like the new Mac Book Pro. it's by far the nicest and most usable desk-top like laptop i have ever owned. I also really like the apple router they sell for it's simple setup and configuration and the usb port on it for easy hard drive sharing, it's a router i could give to my mom and say 'here set this up' and she would be able to do it on her own.

i sympathize with Rubin's post of the blue balls picture, the prospect of a giant version of the Iphone in theory is awesome for me, but a HUGE cock tease if it can't run any proper OSX apps. I dream of some day being able to make music portably using only a touch screen. and i totally agree that it's going to clean up in the market place i just don't think it's going to be a 'flash killer' or destroy the netbook market.

google's 'do no evil' philosophy, microsoft's 'embrace and extend' evil empire shit, apple's rep as the box of choice for 'arty' people... it's all really bullshit

the purpose of any massive company is to make a profit for the board of directors and shareholders and everything else is secondary.

and if that involves locking down a device to death or implementing huge amounts of horrible DRM or whatever, well then that's what will happen.

on an unrelated note i think i've been spending waaaay too much time on /. lately.

google's 'do no evil' philosophy, microsoft's 'embrace and extend' evil empire shit, apple's rep as the box of choice for 'arty' people... it's all really bullshit

it really is, and i live right next to Berkeley and have worked for a couple super loyal Apple people in computer related jobs. For a lot of them it goes FAR beyond an arty hoilier than thou attitude, i had a debate once with my boss at Fantasy Studios who literally thought Apple was a 'green and for the people' corporation and it all started when i told her i didn't own a mac, she asked me with a horrified like 'so what do you use?' when i said PC she scoffed and said 'you know how evil microsoft is, i can't believe you use that' . i was pretty floored but also pretty amused that she did not know that Microsoft owned significant shares in the apple company. When i told her she got very angry and did not believe me.

In the bay area of california especially there is an overwhelming amount of Apple religious piousness

When i told her she got very angry and did not believe me. In the bay area of california especially there is an overwhelming amount of Apple religious piousness

i know a couple of coders who like macs for the right reasons... the UI is superb and a lot of time was invested in picking hardware that will play nicely together. because apple have control of the hardware and the software they are able to give you a much less... rocky user experience than someone with a windows box might have, and as a result they are apparently a joy to code for and/or on.

i also know a couple of people who like macs for the wrong reasons. they are the people who react in the way you describe above, and it's a worldwide thing. there's a fella at work i take endless joy in winding up about apple. i think he's going to report me to HR for harassment soon lol.

Archived