IGNORED

Apple's iPad

Rubin Farr

150,000 people watching Leo Laporte's live stream.

Interesting fact: In 2001, the iPod launched at $399. In 2010 dollars, that's roughly $500. Same price as the tablet.

other mp3 players (rio, creative, etc) from around the same time before and during cost $150 less, i guess if you compare only Apples inflated pricing schemes it doesn't seem that gougy

what purpose would this serve somebody who owns both an Iphone and a Mac book pro, or is this marketed more for someone who can't afford a real laptop? the way i see it is, if you can't fit it in your pocket if its 9" or 17" it's not going to make a huge difference in the inconvenience of having to carry something

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Helllloooooo

500 bucks for a multi touch. The lemur costs 2-3 grand.

Someone will make a customizablr app for this just like the lemur

within a year, and even if it costs another 500 dollars ( it won't) it'll be at least half the price of a lemur.

Who really wanted a netbook in the first place?

33 million netbooks sold last year. And netbooks don't play games, or have multitouch, or a book store, or an apple logo, etc, etc...

netbooks don't play games?? really? i guess you don't own one then, or have a really shitty one. my netbooks (EeePC 900, EeePC 1000HE) have been able to quite happily manage Half-Life, Quake, Quake II (not tried Q3A yet), Duke Nukem 3D, DOOM (using modern source ports).

Guest blicero

i'm not hating on it, but here's what i DID expect from a company that waited so long to introduce a tablet:

1. linux support

2. oled screen

3. some nifty sort of haptic feedback

4. x2 battery life

5. dvi

6. usb x3

7. card reader

8. interchangeable battery

1. i don't see the point.

2. agreed, but it still has great battery life, and oled would've put the price too high

3. agreed

4. disagree - whats wrong with 10hrs of video playback? you really expected 20hrs? yikes.

5. sure.

6. yes, no USB is def a shame.

7. sure

8. HA! remember, this is Apple.

1. a device as powerful as this would be a HOT geek/techie tool if it ran a proper OS.

3. 10hrs of video playback? i might have misread something but they "were able to achieve 10 hours of battery life." and i don't think they were being modest. anyway, if it's really 10hrs of video playback, then that's quite good actually.

8. yeah, i forgot.

They claimed that they were able to watch videos for the entire flight from SanFran to Tokyo (9hrs+).

Helllloooooo

within a year, and even if it costs another 500 dollars ( it won't) it'll be at least half the price of a lemur.

this

wait still no multi tasking feature on this? just like the iphone, wtf

do you already own a pretty equipped laptop or smart phone chaos? i'm curious what specifically attracts you to the Ipad.

I have a MacBook pro. I've been looking for the last couple years for some kind of mobile internet device, but everything was either too expensive or too slow (usually both). This seems like it's finally going to check all the boxes (except being an open platform out of the box).

Kcinsu knows what's up.

as much as i like the Lemur, i'm not really fully blown away by the idea of controlling with an external device a software instrument with sliders on knobs on a screen that i can rub with my fingers Vs turning real knobs or faders.

multi-touch ability is cool, and before Kcinsu mentioned this i didn't realize it had this feature. i should have assumed since the iphone does. edit: for Lemur lovers out there i'm sure this will open the door for cheaper versions of basically the same thing in the future, the Lemur is ridiculously over priced.

do you already own a pretty equipped laptop or smart phone chaos? i'm curious what specifically attracts you to the Ipad.

I have a MacBook pro. I've been looking for the last couple years for some kind of mobile internet device, but everything was either too expensive or too slow (usually both).

hmm, does your MacBook pro have a wireless connection? if it does why is that not filling the mobile internet device void. i say this because you said you're not interested in the 3g version, only the Wifi

i might end up buying this thing just for emails. i've been taking my touch when i travel because i hate lugging my laptop everywhere (refuse to travel w/more than a backpack) but emails on the touch quickly get tiring, and it's hard to do anything complex. this looks light enough to take with me but big enough to do what i need to do.

that said, i'll probably wait a year until the dust settles and it's cheaper to get one with wifi.

hmm, does your MacBook pro have a wireless connection? if it does why is that not filling the mobile internet device void. i say this because you said you're not interested in the 3g version, only the Wifi

Compared to the tablet, it's big, heavy, expensive, gets really hot, and has poor battery life.

gets really hot, and has poor battery life.

all of the reasons you listed make sense, but the last two i dont notice too much, the new ones havee 8hour of battery and gets far less warm than older mac books i've used.

Helllloooooo

Already exists.

http://hexler.net/software/touchosc

And there'll be more and better to come along. Not for everyone, but I know plenty of people who have no interest in technology other than for the net and this would be perfect for them.

gets really hot, and has poor battery life.

all of the reasons you listed make sense, but the last two i dont notice too much, the new ones havee 8hour of battery and gets far less warm than older mac books i've used.

Yeah, mine's the 3 hour, removable battery version. It get uncomfortably warm if you're doing anything with the CPU.

I have a MacBook pro. I've been looking for the last couple years for some kind of mobile internet device, but everything was either too expensive or too slow (usually both). This seems like it's finally going to check all the boxes (except being an open platform out of the box).

Kcinsu knows what's up.

erm, open platform? lol!

For those of you who are let down by this device, I'd really like to know what you were expecting or hoping for that didn't happen?

i was hoping it would be on new iphone 4.0 software. or have flash. or have multiple applications running. or have verizon. and def not add more to the att network.

Archived