IGNORED

Apple's iPad

Rubin Farr

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest abreaktor

i just did! hehe. a somewhat german gesture. people here in germany do it all the time: you enter a group, a building, whatever, they push their "hausordnung" in your face. cheers mate!

i'll only be satisfied when apple makes an Iplasma, 46 inch touch screen mac running osx

touch screens are so last decade ...

dleetr speaking from the 2010's .. cause from hear it's all about gestural interaction ..

as for having a touch screen as your entertainment hub, i like that microsoft coffee table idea, but still at the moment nothing beats sitting back on the couch with your bluetooth keyboard on your lap and mouse on the armrest. I don't want to have to get up to touch something to be able to interact with my TV. fuk that.

Agree with you Delet. I think touch will still grow (cars, phones, small gadgets etc) and become more mainstream but gestural will probably be the most popular within 5 years i think. Natal is being integrated with windows apparently so hopefully that's released not too long after its out on the xbox. Gestural, voice + facial recognition will be the trio of doom imo. Not that we'll stop using keyboards and mice too.

i don't get this, why would i want a bunch of tree branches and shit blocking the awesome view? and why does she

get all excited over the fact that she doesn't need to use a remote, but can use her hands instead, isn't that why we

invented the remote? so one wouldn't have to get up?

sure, all this touchscreen tech is cool, but the only area where i really find it useful is on my phone, or like, on anything that

isn't a computer with a mouse and keyboard. like that guy trying to play some strategy game with his hands, what's that about?

use the mouse dummy.

i don't get this, why would i want a bunch of tree branches and shit blocking the awesome view? and why does she

get all excited over the fact that she doesn't need to use a remote, but can use her hands instead, isn't that why we

sure, all this touchscreen tech is cool, but the only area where i really find it useful is on my phone, or like, on anything that

isn't a computer with a mouse and keyboard. like that guy trying to play some strategy game with his hands, what's that about?

use the mouse dummy.

i agree with you to a certain extent. I think there will be a bit of trial and error for a few years and we will filter out the pointless stuff. The novelty will wear off and we will be left with the useful stuff that people actually want. I can think of plenty of situations where touch, gesture or voice will be suited. Touch and voice is by far the best for cars (passenger + driver). Anything collaborative using a single (probably large) screen would be far better with gesture or touch - say an interactive classroom environment or an office. I think gesture would be good in a studio/rehearsal space - big screen on the wall - no-one has to walk over to it, just gesture and play - everyone has the mouse so to speak. There are tonnes of good uses. I did mention that i didnt think the mouse and keyboard would be going anywhere though.

use the mouse dummy.

i agree with you to a certain extent. I think there will be a bit of trial and error for a few years and we will filter out the pointless stuff. The novelty will wear off and we will be left with the useful stuff that people actually want. I can think of plenty of situations where touch, gesture or voice will be suited. Touch and voice is by far the best for cars (passenger + driver). Anything collaborative using a single (probably large) screen would be far better with gesture or touch - say an interactive classroom environment or an office. I think gesture would be good in a studio/rehearsal space - big screen on the wall - no-one has to walk over to it, just gesture and play - everyone has the mouse so to speak. There are tonnes of good uses. I did mention that i didnt think the mouse and keyboard would be going anywhere though.

my mum's a teacher and they are getting large touchscreen's to replace the blackboards in some of their classrooms, including hers. This will probably be networked to the kids laptops. all awesome stuff.

plus what's wrong with the tree branch animation. you're just being a ninny for the sake of it yeah ;-]. heh. i can't wait till my windows are sound proof and able to block out the outside light. and my walls can give offlight. given that i sleep in the day. and when i'm up at night on my days off, there's never enough usable light around with just the fucking domestic downlights.

I think the thing that will really be the future is electronic ink. Pigment that is controlled like pixels. So you will have moving images on paper and you could download new issues to paper.. Kendel will be a very klunky version of of this technology.

i never understood the desire people have to get a kindle, when they could just buy a laptop and have full colour text and movies and games and an whole crapload of other software besides. Always seemed like a doomed gimmick. Still it sells pretty well. so good on 'em for making money out of these schmukaz

btw marf they are talking about having sprayon display technology for walls as a step after prefab panels. So this e-ink thing is just one direction that they are coming at these problems from. And ultimately probably a doomed one. Doesn't make it less cool, but as the development cycles of new tech get shorter, it's easy to discount what once would have seemed revolutionary.

I've heard that they display on the kindle looks much like a normal book. Basically it appeals to bookies who want the convenience of digital choice. Laptop screens can be hard on the eyes when looked at for a long time (as can all backlit displays).

granted, i was all out of smokes when i wrote my last post, so i may have come off as a bit grumpy.

anyway,

I think there will be a bit of trial and error for a few years and we will filter out the pointless stuff.

^this

it's all very cool stuff, 'specially when used in schools etc, it's just all the pointless stuff that gets to me, much like how everyone wanted a plasma screen everywhere, on everything (in the trunk of your car, under your car, on the roof of your car, and so on), when those were new.

This concept flex OLED sony laptop from the start of the year kinda shows where we'll be in a year or two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgRgiH8ng3Y

Kinda makes the e-reader idea obsolete. Although you could just say that it's a convergence of the concepts. But whatever.

it's all very cool stuff, 'specially when used in schools etc, it's just all the pointless stuff that gets to me, much like how everyone wanted a plasma screen everywhere, on everything (in the trunk of your car, under your car, on the roof of your car, and so on), when those were new.

I agree with that plasma screen thing in the boot of your car thing, xzibit has a lot to answer for.

But surely the idea that you can use this tech as a paint to actually change the colour of your car at will, or put on the company logo and decals on the work vehicle when it's being used for that purpose, but turn it off for the weekend jaunt up into the hills, is awesome. you won't need lots of screens everywhere, because everything will be one. Your fridge, your walls, every appliance big and small will be networked and able to process and display information. Sure you will still have visually static objects around the house - Leather couches, wooden tables, fitted sheets, whatever.

Plus with visual augmentation coming along. Whether via wearable displays or implanted devices, to an extent you wouldn't need a screen everywhere on everything when you could more cheaply overlay the information. Yet again another option, a further density to the layering.

i'll only be satisfied when apple makes an Iplasma, 46 inch touch screen mac running osx

dleetr speaking from the 2010's .. cause from hear it's all about gestural interaction ..

you want to wave your hands around in the air? all that gesturing could get a bit tiresome...especially during heavy pron sessions!

iSlate is such a lameass name, how long would it take people to dub it the iSlut?

i agree. it's too close to isolate which has negative connotations. i wouldn't be surprised if it doesnt even start with "i"

you want to wave your hands around in the air?

or tell it things, or use my keyboard and mouse. do everything i can to not have to get up and touch the screen ...

Archived