IGNORED

Apple's iPad

Rubin Farr

Guest analogue wings

South African Police reveal Apple tablet photos

The South African Police Service has released photos of the Apple tablet, well ahead of the Steve Jobs press conference scheduled for this morning in San Francisco.

According to a page on the SAPS website, the South African police have uncovered 11 different varieties of the tablet, spanning multiple colors and sizes. Apparently, the Apple tablet is available in red, pink, blue, purple, and grey, while sizes range from 6.08mm to 9.31mm.

The site also indicates that all Apple tablets include MDMA support, while some provide MDA and MDEA support as well.

The police photos are small, but they show both sides of the tablet. An Apple logo appears on the front side of each:

apple_sa_tablet.jpg

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I fucking love it. I'll get one for the new school year in september with a student discount. They'll probably be on 2nd Gen by then.

As someone who carries around a MacBookPro (from 2006 with an intel core duo) every goddamned day, this makes great sense. Saves space and weight. Don't need 3G, wi-fi only will be fine.

No USB is a letdown. Otherwise, no real big issues here. Oh and since it's running iPhone OS, it basically will be jailbroken in about a week (SDK for iPhone OS 4 has been out for a week already I think...)

Oooh no multi-tasking is not cool. Hope that's fixed.

Oh yeah, and about flash on websites - 99% of the time it's usually shit and unnecessary. But I understand perfectly what you're saying blicero.

somone make a multi-touchscreen with chrome os on it, it would be superior to this by far.

i said the exact same thing when outside smoking a cigarette to the german goth guy who composes 1/3 of our IT department today. creepy.

3 or 4 second boot with the custom BIOS concept google want and 3G or better/802.11n combo, a nice OLED screen (or maybe better and cheaper undiscovered tech, display is perhaps the fastest-progressing tech after processors - you can plot both pretty accurately against moore). third is maybe SSD and that's a good thing too :emotawesomepm9:

imagine if, in 3 or 4 years, google released an opensource-ish tablet with chromeOS or ubunty zippy zebra, wicked fast cheap integrated graphics, 1TB SSD... that is what i would call a gamechanger. as opposed to an admittedly nice iphone +2. but hey the ipad is kinda one of the first signposts on the way to that sort of user experience, and i'm all for it with regards to that.

i see some great potential here if the pad could run Logic pro or Ableton live, being able to touch instead of click with a mouse to use a program like this would be very pleasurable.

you'd be surprised. even on my 12.1" touchscreen/tablet pc i find most programs pretty damn unusable through touch for several reasons. Firstly its just slow and cumbersome compared to using a mouse/trackpad, especially on a 9-some inch screen, you're going to be poking a whole lot of things you didnt want to. Secondly you NEED keyboard shortcuts (pause, play, undo,). On programs like flash/photoshop with most buttons/tools onscreen and customizable interfaces its a different story, but with music making DAWs youre losing griploads of functionality, at the very least you need assignable buttons on the touchscreen. It could be useful for performance as a secondary interface lemur-style, but forget about using it to make music in a fully-featured DAW. There really is no substitute for a mouse and keyboard.

In recent months I've essentially stopped using programs or playing games on my laptop and flitter between Chrome, iTunes and messengers, so this is probably right up my alley.

The hard-drive size doesn't particularly worry me as I've got used to deleting movies and big files after I've used them, but I would like the ability to use an external hard-drive. Maybe I missed that bit, and it would allow it though.

I'd be tempted to get one if I could justify the expense, but I honestly don't think this could replace my laptop. I bet it's amazing to surf the internet like that, and muck about with silly apps, but I like to type on a keyboard and download shit for free.

Saying that, I still kind of want one, just for the experience.

In recent months I've essentially stopped using programs or playing games on my laptop and flitter between Chrome, iTunes and messengers, so this is probably right up my alley.

The hard-drive size doesn't particularly worry me as I've got used to deleting movies and big files after I've used them, but I would like the ability to use an external hard-drive. Maybe I missed that bit, and it would allow it though.

I'd be tempted to get one if I could justify the expense, but I honestly don't think this could replace my laptop. I bet it's amazing to surf the internet like that, and muck about with silly apps, but I like to type on a keyboard and download shit for free.

Saying that, I still kind of want one, just for the experience.

the external hd is your main home computer, just like ipod or iphone. the good thing about this is that it will jumpstart a whole new batch of these types of devices, i would assume, so it will get much better in the not so distant future

So I just plug it in (wirelessly?) and transfer all the stuff I've already pirated on my laptop? It's making life a little more complicated, but I could live with that.

The iPad is starting to give me palpitations, and I think I'm getting depressed in its wake.

somone make a multi-touchscreen with chrome os on it, it would be superior to this by far.

i said the exact same thing when outside smoking a cigarette to the german goth guy who composes 1/3 of our IT department today. creepy.

3 or 4 second boot with the custom BIOS concept google want and 3G or better/802.11n combo, a nice OLED screen (or maybe better and cheaper undiscovered tech, display is perhaps the fastest-progressing tech after processors - you can plot both pretty accurately against moore). third is maybe SSD and that's a good thing too :emotawesomepm9:

imagine if, in 3 or 4 years, google released an opensource-ish tablet with chromeOS or ubunty zippy zebra, wicked fast cheap integrated graphics, 1TB SSD... that is what i would call a gamechanger. as opposed to an admittedly nice iphone +2. but hey the ipad is kinda one of the first signposts on the way to that sort of user experience, and i'm all for it with regards to that.

yes. also to produce this should be piece of cake no? google could just go the apple route and build a bigass nexus one that runs chrome OS instead of android and doesn't make phone calls, done.

FzVue.png

Leo Laporte pirating live video of the keynote out to 150,000 people.. guy has balls.

He said Steve was giving him the evil eye :D

It's funny, this shot of the audience is from the official keynote video on apple.com.

did you check out that article i posted Kaini? i was wondering what you thought about it.

FzVue.png

Leo Laporte pirating live video of the keynote out to 150,000 people.. guy has balls.

It's funny, this shot of the audience is from the official keynote video on apple.com.

haha wtf, i had no idea he was a well known figure, i thought his computer help show on KGO out here was like a local only broadcast

did you check out that article i posted Kaini? i was wondering what you thought about it.

FzVue.png

haha wtf, i had no idea he was a well known figure, i thought his computer help show on KGO out here was like a local only broadcast

Yeah, Leo Laporte has a huge audience. He used to be on live on ZDTV 4 hours a day, then another 8 hours in repeats. ZDTV became TechTV, and later, G4.

yes. also to produce this should be piece of cake no? google could just go the apple route and build a bigass nexus one that runs chrome OS instead of android and doesn't make phone calls, done.

well, no. for me to conside a slate/tablet/pad/whatever it would need

1. proper haptic feedback

2. hackability/open source

3. wi-fi/3G capable of supporting HD

4. a *proper* rethink of the differences between desktop and slate UI (apple are already a million miles ahead of MS here)

5. at least 3 USB

i don't get your point, a bigass nexus one with chrome OS could very well have all of those except maybe haptick feedback but i don't know what that means.

if it was so easy, don't you think the very capable people at Apple/Google/Microsoft* would have put one together by now?

*Hate on MS all you want, they have some insanely talented people working there.

i don't get your point, a bigass nexus one with chrome OS could very well have all of those except maybe haptick feedback but i don't know what that means.

if it was so easy, don't you think the very capable people at Apple/Google/Microsoft* would have put one together by now?

*Hate on MS all you want, they have some insanely talented people working there.

uh apple just did it, they just don't like ports and openness and stuff. how complicated could it be to add some usb ports.

the new hp desktops are basically just a flat screen with all the cpu stuff on the back, there are thin laptops, make them a bit thiner and there you go, i don't think it's much of an engineering problem, not that i would know anything about that.

they haven't put it together probably because they don't want to and think it's not profitable enough. maybe they will now that apple opened a new market. maybe everyone now will build bigass versions of their smartphones.

uh, if Apple just did it, then why the fuck are there so many people in this thread alone bitching about something they haven't used or even really seen yet?

uh, if Apple just did it, then why the fuck are there so many people in this thread alone bitching about something they haven't used or even really seen yet?

watmm... that's why!

David Pogue explained it pretty well earlier today: By putting something down you become its judge.

In other words, by saying something sucks, you put yourself in a class above it. The more hype or popularity something has, the greater the effect.

so i've come to realize that, with computer hardware and surfing the itunes websites getting popular these days (avatar), something like this could be easily accepted onto our technological superhighways online now, but the pricetag isn't bringing down any gibson supercomputers just yet

Archived