IGNORED

Amon Tobin

karmakramer

not that it matters but im pretty sure pitchfork gave Bricolage a 10.0 which doesnt happen very often. neat album but i dont know why they think it's better than foley IMO.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest hahathhat

amon tobin albums have been kinda like FX in recent movies. at first it was new and cool, the T1000 in terminator, you know... but after a while it just got racks and racks of super-advanced effects while the plot kind of drifted off into a stupor.

e.g. -- foley room sounds super hi-res, but the tracks aren't catchy and make-you-wanna-dance like off supermodified.

amon tobin albums have been kinda like FX in recent movies. at first it was new and cool, the T1000 in terminator, you know... but after a while it just got racks and racks of super-advanced effects while the plot kind of drifted off into a stupor.

e.g. -- foley room sounds super hi-res, but the tracks aren't catchy and make-you-wanna-dance like off supermodified.

Yep. Pretty much how I see it. I love Amon Tobin but he doesn't have the addictive quality I desire.

Foley Room is a great album, but I only really go back to it for Esthers, The Killers Vanilla and Big Furry Head

The samples for the vocal Two Fingers album really turned me off, but I've listened to the instrumental release a few times and it's quality. Still need to play it more to sink in but some tracks are really killer.

finally watching that foley room bonus dvd mini documentary on the making of that album seriously makes me want to work my ass off and call a bunch of my projects good so I can make an album with a quarter as much ambition in creativity

Can't believe I still haven't checked out the DVD, WTF?! I've owned the CD/DVD since about the time it came out, just forgot all about it really.

I don't know why I've never bothered getting into Amon Tobin. I've known about his stuff forever, yet I keep neglecting to check out his albums.

I was like you up until about 2-3 years ago. Farther back about 6-7 years ago I had a roommate that was really into him and I ended up picking up one album (Out From Out Where) and while I liked it, it didn't have much staying power for me at the time. I guess it just took a while to warm up to it. Maybe it seemed too clinical and dense or something. But in the last couple of years I've really taken a liking to his stuff. I think Foley Room caught my attention when it came out and I decided to finally check out the rest.

I used to love this guys music, but lately it's been too much about technique and too little about those lovely hooks he can come up with. Don't get me wrong, I really like his stuff, but his latest output has left me a little cold.

• 1 month later...

i kind of agree, i was really excited about the concept of Foley room but for some reason none of the tracks fully 'pop' or come together in a way thats pleasurable for me, they sound a little bit too loose for me, i prefer his older stuff a lot more. And oddly now a lot of electronic musicians i talk to improperly uses the word foley and i think it's because of the Amon Tobin album. A lot of people now wrongly think that if you sample say for example a dripping water sound and make music out of it you are doing 'foley', nope. the art of foley specifically is using other sounds like coconut shells being banged together to make horse galloping sounds, at no point in his LP foley room does it sound like hes doing this. Most of the sounds are recognizable, like toy cars whirring, etc. Sorry im being such a nit picking fag, its just annoying when i show people stuff i've made with field recordings and they say 'oh cool, foley'. I'm really excited to see what hell do next on his own (not with guest mcs).

Guest Lube Saibot

Omg this. ^ I've encountered this. It's so annoying.

Have any of you played inFamous? The scored that one as well, pretty effective music.

i heard great things about him.. wondering if I should get Bricolage or Foley Room - leaning towards Bricolage because it came first.. thoughts?

Get both! :cisfor: No but you're right, might as well start at the beginning with Bricolage and work your way forward.

i heard great things about him.. wondering if I should get Bricolage or Foley Room - leaning towards Bricolage because it came first.. thoughts?

They're completely different. This is like asking to get Incunabula or Confield (maybe not the best example, but his albums have a distinct progression and he has changed throughout his career). I started with his later stuff then got into his earlier stuff. I'd say all of it holds up, so it isn't too important which you get first.

listened to Supermodified today and it is amazing!

Always will be...

Out From Outwhere has some incredible moments...

all of his records do...

some are just better on the whole than others....

Permutations blew my mind in '98....

Is still pretty impressive...

but Supermodiefied is an accomplishment of the highest caliber in music...

Get both! :cisfor: No but you're right, might as well start at the beginning with Bricolage and work your way forward.

They're completely different. This is like asking to get Incunabula or Confield (maybe not the best example, but his albums have a distinct progression and he has changed throughout his career). I started with his later stuff then got into his earlier stuff. I'd say all of it holds up, so it isn't too important which you get first.

I'll second what mark x & sidey said, they're both damn good albums though since his sound has evolved so much over the years you're pretty unlikely to hear anything that sounds like bricolage in foley room & vice versa. And if you start with bricolage definitely also check out adventures in foam (as cujo), very similar vibe with a lot of early d'nb elements in the sound.

saw him play live last year in montreal at piknic electronique, it was wicked. he completely surprised me, i was expecting more of the same heavy breaks and got all kinds of crazy beats. the audience found the set a bit jarring i think as he'd drop a beat for 2-3 minutes then go completely ambient for the next 2 minutes, then drop another beat, and so forth. great stuff

• 6 months later...

Those of you who enjoy some Amon Tobin might like the new Ninja Tune XX freebie.

http://www.ninjatunexx.com/

Basically it's the premier of vid for Esther's. (made in Belgium! :))

Effects are kind of nice, but it lacks originality, pace and

ends in a dull predictable anti-climax

. Still, Esther's is a great track. So this a good time to turn up the volume and go wild on Amon Tobin beats.

Looking forward to the new album!

i was not digging two fingers at all.

Instrumentals version is pretty good. I didn't bother with the regular version, vocals sounded like crap in the clips I heard.

Wasn't convinced by this record.

Archived