IGNORED

Autechre - Oversteps (WARP210) [The MegaThread]

Friendly Foil

Warp ain't on their game right now anyway. They promised a London date location on Feb 1st and by this point I don't think that's appearing.

fuckers

the promotional campaign does seem oddly disorganized. They worked very hard on the photoshoot for all the OVersteps packaging and what not but it's honestly strange to not have reviews this close to the release date

Edited by Awepittance

Yeah. But I can't deny I'm clamouring for info. I really like that pic of Rob and Sean, it's fucking weird. Relatively simple to do and fairly overdone, but it looks so good.

Warp ain't on their game right now anyway. They promised a London date location on Feb 1st and by this point I don't think that's appearing.

fuckers

Yep I must have checked .es and warp 20 times today..

one major plot hole in this theory is that for Quaristice the promotional campaign including clips and reviews was well under way by the time it leaked (and subsequently was posted on Bleep) don't mean to burst anyone's bubble here but i think one can safely assume this marketing is being done on a different time schedule than Quaristice

edit: maybe a full proper review has already come out and i missed it? i would be surprised

Maybe some sound clips and official review is what's coming tomorrow... :shrug: Or nothing...I don't really care either, I'm fine waiting till the CD is in my hands without having heard as much as 5 seconds of it first. In fact I'd rather that be the case, TBH. It's just fun to speculate.

ripped from XLT:

http://newsflash.bigshotmag.com/?p=7302

In anticipation of Autechre’s forthcoming tenth album, Oversteps, Sean Booth spoke to Big Shot about touring, favorite synths, fan communities, and those unique track names.

Oversteps is a more melodic record than Autechre, consisting of Booth and partner Rob Brown, have made in some time – reminiscent at times of the duos ambient-leaning second album, Amber. “It was an unconscious studio effort,” explains Booth, “we didn’t start out with an end point in mind.” After playing the beat-heavy live set on 2008’s tour in support of their ninth album, Quaristice, Autechre hit the studio ready for a change. “We came back and didn’t want to do any tracks with beats for a bit,” explains Booth. “Most of the material that we did as soon as we got back was almost the polar opposite of what we’d been doing on tour. It wasn’t pattern-based, and it wasn’t for dancing to, really.”

In contrast to Quaristice, much of which was edited down from live recordings, Oversteps afforded the duo “the opportunity to change everything, right until the last minute. There was more focus this time on making the album a cohesive piece.” Oversteps further represents a return to computer music for the duo, with Booth revisiting Max/MSP for generative composition. Having improved their live interface for laptop performance, Autechre are also set to return to using a computer during live dates. “We kind of go through phases with equipment,” explains Booth, with a tongue-in-cheek acknowledgment of the group’s history with live computer performance. “In about 2001 we were using our own system, and it was good, but it was a bit flakey, and we’d get crashes – entirely out own fault, for being lame programmers.” Having figured out the crashes, Autechre stand to bring a more unpredictable element to the Oversteps tour, utilizing Max for algorithmic changes in sequences.

Lastly, Booth suggested that there’ll be more to come for Autechre later in 2010, sure to whet appetities of its already-excited fanbase, who are responsible for four currently circulating fake leaks of Oversteps (at last count). More on Autechre to come in the full-length article from Big Shot’s lengthy chat with Boooth, in BS31.

ripped from XLT:

http://newsflash.bigshotmag.com/?p=7302

In anticipation of Autechre’s forthcoming tenth album, Oversteps, Sean Booth spoke to Big Shot about touring, favorite synths, fan communities, and those unique track names.

Oversteps is a more melodic record than Autechre, consisting of Booth and partner Rob Brown, have made in some time – reminiscent at times of the duos ambient-leaning second album, Amber. “It was an unconscious studio effort,” explains Booth, “we didn’t start out with an end point in mind.” After playing the beat-heavy live set on 2008’s tour in support of their ninth album, Quaristice, Autechre hit the studio ready for a change. “We came back and didn’t want to do any tracks with beats for a bit,” explains Booth. “Most of the material that we did as soon as we got back was almost the polar opposite of what we’d been doing on tour. It wasn’t pattern-based, and it wasn’t for dancing to, really.”

In contrast to Quaristice, much of which was edited down from live recordings, Oversteps afforded the duo “the opportunity to change everything, right until the last minute. There was more focus this time on making the album a cohesive piece.” Oversteps further represents a return to computer music for the duo, with Booth revisiting Max/MSP for generative composition. Having improved their live interface for laptop performance, Autechre are also set to return to using a computer during live dates. “We kind of go through phases with equipment,” explains Booth, with a tongue-in-cheek acknowledgment of the group’s history with live computer performance. “In about 2001 we were using our own system, and it was good, but it was a bit flakey, and we’d get crashes – entirely out own fault, for being lame programmers.” Having figured out the crashes, Autechre stand to bring a more unpredictable element to the Oversteps tour, utilizing Max for algorithmic changes in sequences.

Lastly, Booth suggested that there’ll be more to come for Autechre later in 2010, sure to whet appetities of its already-excited fanbase, who are responsible for four currently circulating fake leaks of Oversteps (at last count). More on Autechre to come in the full-length article from Big Shot’s lengthy chat with Boooth, in BS31.

*gasp*!!

I'm sure the people faggy about the last few albums are going to be happy to hear that. I can't fucking wait. JESUS

Call me crazy, but an entirely ambient and beatless album sounds like a crap idea.

lol. i dont think its going to be beatless. no way. especially with that number of tracks.

i think it's a good idea, but only if they release something beat based too :emotawesomepm9: . i kind of like the idea of an ambient AE album but it's definitely not going to fulfill the AE bass blast recreational driving experience i crave at the moment.

Call me crazy, but an entirely ambient and beatless album sounds like a crap idea.

But where in that quote that Jaffa posted does it actually say that? All it says is that it's a more melodic record and reminiscent at times to the ambient-leaning Amber

But where in that quote that Jaffa posted does it actually say that? All it says is that it's a more melodic record and reminiscent at times to the ambient-leaning Amber

I guess you missed this:

"...Autechre hit the studio ready for a change. “We came back and didn’t want to do any tracks with beats for a bit,” explains Booth..."

And this has me intrigued...

"Sean Booth spoke to Big Shot about ... fan communities..."

I guess you missed this:

"...Autechre hit the studio ready for a change. “We came back and didn’t want to do any tracks with beats for a bit,” explains Booth..."

And this has me intrigued...

"Sean Booth spoke to Big Shot about ... fan communities..."

the new fakes better be all ambient now...

someone better ask booth about his thoughts on :trashbear: