IGNORED

Autechre - Oversteps (WARP210) [The MegaThread]

Friendly Foil

I dont get it... why is that funny?

he thinks its funny as we have paid for awesome quality and spoil the experience by listening to a bad online leak

I assume he does not know that its 320kbs

I don't agree with him but I do understand the point

Edited by o00o

I don't get how that spoils the experience.

I remember recording Second Bad Vilbel off MTV Amp when I was 14, and playing it over and over.

When I finally bought the album and heard the proper version, I nearly shit my pants. It sure didn't ruin it for me.

You know what's great? Remember when we were listening to the Glasgow 2005 soundboard recording at 128kbps for over a year and then we heard the 256 version and everything opened up? The same thing is going to happen when we hear the wav files of this.

All the distortion and clipping and muddiness will be gone, and this will be 10x more immersive.

Heh, thanks... gonna work on a proper Premodea album for the later half of 2010.

would pay for your stuff. well ok, i wouldn´t pay, i´d steal it, but your tracks would be definitely in my heavy rotation. :ok:

Thanks panz0r.

You know what's great? Remember when we were listening to the Glasgow 2005 soundboard recording at 128kbps for over a year and then we heard the 256 version and everything opened up? The same thing is going to happen when we hear the wav files of this.

All the distortion and clipping and muddiness will be gone, and this will be 10x more immersive.

totally agree

A friend of mine analyzed the leak in a wave editor and noticed extreme clipping on some of the tracks. Also a sound difference visibly noticeable in the two ilanders. I reckon it's their original way of watermarking the promo by deliberately messing up different tracks on different promos.

Could you guys explain to me why you are holding out for the release date? I'm just wondering.

Is it a moral thing? Do you not want your impressions sullied by a 2nd/3rd rate copy?

My brother's the same way about Autechre. I don't mean to condescend about it; I just don't get it.

For me, it's mostly because I like the anticipation of album release dates. I grew up with it, and there was no internet or any other way to acquire advance copies of albums before they came out. I have good memories associated with album release dates. So I like to hold out. Part of it also is that I don't want to potentially listen to something inferior and would rather listen to the real deal for the first time. I also don't like the chance of listening to something and thinking it's a fake, not liking it much, then being disappointed to find out it is in fact real.

Now I suppose I could "get with the times" and anticipate leaks instead of release dates, like kids do these days, but nah. I'm old and grumpy! Even if I plan to download and try an album before deciding to buy it (I did pre-order Oversteps), I'll still wait for the release date or after to do so. So yeah in a way it's about quality, and wanting to make sure I get the legit product. But mostly it's the nostalgia and anticipation associated with album release dates. I like it, and there's plenty of stuff to keep me entertained in the meantime. I don't like spoiled surprises.

A friend of mine analyzed the leak in a wave editor and noticed extreme clipping on some of the tracks. Also a sound difference visibly noticeable in the two ilanders. I reckon it's their original way of watermarking the promo by deliberately messing up different tracks on different promos.

okay.. :shuriken::facepalm:

yeah I noticed this too

Listened twice through, and if it ain't the real Oversteps then as a fake it's a whole order of magnitude more sophisticated. The Altered Carbon one was a good album which very directly referenced Ae patterns, structures and sounds, which sounded like either Ae being deliberately backward looking (disappointing) or someone wholesale copying their style, turned out to be the latter. This one sounds pretty startlingly different from recent output, BUT in a way which is believably them - much harder to pull off.

Re the fades and double-Ilanders - someone may have had a promo, been unwilling to burn a copy, but willing to stream it to a friend over iTunes / whatever. The playlist may have Ilanders twice, and "crossfade tracks - 2 seconds" could be set in the preferences. Friend makes a streamrip, uploads it, voila. Explains the single long track as well.

Could you guys explain to me why you are holding out for the release date? I'm just wondering.

Is it a moral thing? Do you not want your impressions sullied by a 2nd/3rd rate copy?

My brother's the same way about Autechre. I don't mean to condescend about it; I just don't get it.

For me, it's mostly because I like the anticipation of album release dates. I grew up with it, and there was no internet or any other way to acquire advance copies of albums before they came out. I have good memories associated with album release dates. So I like to hold out. Part of it also is that I don't want to potentially listen to something inferior and would rather listen to the real deal for the first time. I also don't like the chance of listening to something and thinking it's a fake, not liking it much, then being disappointed to find out it is in fact real.

Now I suppose I could "get with the times" and anticipate leaks instead of release dates, like kids do these days, but nah. I'm old and grumpy! Even if I plan to download and try an album before deciding to buy it (I did pre-order Oversteps), I'll still wait for the release date or after to do so. So yeah in a way it's about quality, and wanting to make sure I get the legit product. But mostly it's the nostalgia and anticipation associated with album release dates. I like it, and there's plenty of stuff to keep me entertained in the meantime. I don't like spoiled surprises.

yea this.

it has nothing to do with morals or anything, and i would never preach to anyone about downloading leaks. i just like my initial impression of the art to be how the artist intended it to be. i only really do this for bands i really like. i have dl'd tons of leaks and still will to see if i like a new band or whatever. but when it comes to artists i admire, i like to have the full album in my hands and check out the artwork etc as im listening for the first time.

edit: that being said, i will download from bleep early if its released early.

Edited by jules

Guest narkeworld

This latest leak made one of my tracks sound better, which kinda bothers me. My music should suck in comparison to Autechre.

Edited by narkeworld

This leak made me do several things:

- Immediately go to bleep and preorder the actual release.

- Seriously consider upgrading my operating system and my license to max/msp 5

- Anxiously await any recording / news of their upcoming tour, what it sounds like, etc

Fuck, 2010 is turning out to be one of the best years in a long time.

Yeah, I had been thinking about getting a Machinedrum until this leak.

I am thinking about a Monomachine now. I recognize that they probably favored Max/MSP over the Elektron gear this time (though I'm pretty sure I still hear some), something about the colorfulness of the melodies and tones makes me think I would have more fun with a Monomachine, at least right now.

i am a little bit shocked Gl0tch is head over heals on this cd, i only like one track so far and it's Treale. I've never only liked a single track from an Autechre album before.

where are all the beats? and even for ambient its not the type of ambient i like out of AE , the ambient tracks on Quarisitce are far better.

this album feels like a one trick pony, which is not a bad thing it's just more of a theme album. Quaristice seemed to have a lot more creative ideas and themes at play in each song, each song felt like a different experiment. This album feels like one long experiment that is not doing it for me.

i am really really surprised that so many people are saying this sounds like Lp5 or is better than Quaristice, i couldn't disagree more with both of those assessments. Lp5 had so much more sophisticated sequencing and sound design.

Edited by Awepittance

This leak made me do several things:

- Immediately go to bleep and preorder the actual release.

- Seriously consider upgrading my operating system and my license to max/msp 5

- Anxiously await any recording / news of their upcoming tour, what it sounds like, etc

Fuck, 2010 is turning out to be one of the best years in a long time.

lol?