IGNORED

Autechre - Oversteps (WARP210) [The MegaThread]

Friendly Foil

if you were the German radio DJ, would you have picked different tracks for your "exclusive preview thingie" than see on see and ilanders?

i sure would have. r ess is a great opener… it severely bit my spine where it tickles on first listen and i would have played that first. then maybe 0=O because it's :wtf: .

lol at the haters.

if you were the German radio DJ, would you have picked different tracks for your "exclusive preview thingie" than see on see and ilanders?

i sure would have. r ess is a great opener… it severely bit my spine where it tickles on first listen and i would have played that first. then maybe 0=O because it's :wtf: .

lol at the haters.

lol, this is the first time i've had to wrestle with tracknames.

seeing as there's loads of debate i'll add a description too; i would have played known(1) (harpischord track with much hate which i like very much) and treale (because it's llllllush).

I gotta give Plaid another chance I think.

Since this thread is off to a negative start, I just thought I would vent on the distortion in Ilanders and the beaty track nearish the end. I am all for distortions - usually love it. But this sounds pretty terrible and overdone to me. Its on the snare, bassdrum and all the synths. And afaik ae have never gone overboard on horrible distortion before. Sounds like cheap amp sims up in my face or something. And really out of place VS the rest of the album.

Funnily enough it is these two overly distorted 4/4 ish trax that peeps seem to be diggin. And they may sound alot more palatable and musical when not played though a MP3 encode of a m4a on a cheap Mp3 player into my stereo. Eg gantz graf sounds about 10% weaker from a decent non transcoded mp3 than off the CD.

So I have decided to not listen again till I have WAVs. I'm joining the "this will sound magically better on WAVs camp" I guess.

Apart from these two trax the rest I found to be most satisfying.

played though a MP3 encode of a m4a on a cheap Mp3 player into my stereo.
:facepalm: (thought I would facepalm myself on this one. but the rest sounds ok apart from these 2 tracks)

yeah known(1) is so lol in a good way, this would have been great on the radio. NOBODY here would have believed it was Autechre and some kind of pathetic message board war would have started.

^ agreed to the above about ilanders. weakest track imo. prettz much destroys the eeriness of r ess… it just sounds like a smelly, aggressive teenager.

Edited by Guest

Oversteps is one of their best albums imo

Oh, you've heard the real album then? Awesome~!

Haha you are like the old men in the muppets in this subforum

I guess known(1) is good in a lol way. Maybe that's what Oversteps is mostly about. It's Autechre having a big old lol. It's an..erm... overstep, a step too far, using borrowed time. I thought before it'd be Oversteps as in 'screw you, we're next level, we're one step ahead.' But maybe it's more like, 'over did it there a bit, bit of a misstep, isn't it? Whoops - well, never mind, we're just havin' a laugh, innit?'

Since this thread is off to a negative start, I just thought I would vent on the distortion in Ilanders and the beaty track nearish the end. I am all for distortions - usually love it. But this sounds pretty terrible and overdone to me. Its on the snare, bassdrum and all the synths. And afaik ae have never gone overboard on horrible distortion before. Sounds like cheap amp sims up in my face or something. And really out of place VS the rest of the album.

actually i think the distortion in ilanders is great. nice and crunchy. i kinda wish the rest of the album sounded like that! i think if the whole album had beats like in ilanders, it'd be fuckin' excellent.

lol let's all gang up and write some percussion for this album and re-leak it.

Oversteps is one of their best albums imo

Oh, you've heard the real album then? Awesome~!

one of my favourite pastimes is watching people like you not post anymore once the album is released and the leak is proved real.

there were about six of you guys around the time hello everything (unfortunately, mostly terrible) was released.

I guess known(1) is good in a lol way. Maybe that's what Oversteps is mostly about. It's Autechre having a big old lol. It's an..erm... overstep, a step too far, using borrowed time. I thought before it'd be Oversteps as in 'screw you, we're next level, we're one step ahead.' But maybe it's more like, 'over did it there a bit, bit of a misstep, isn't it? Whoops - well, never mind, we're just havin' a laugh, innit?'

i don't get lol from this... really. bits make me smile and it's a lot happier than other autechre, but nothing on it makes me lol like the fart noises on draft did.

Edited by kaini

I figured oversteps cos they are over (sick of) using step sequencing...

known(1) is awesome imo just to throw that out there

I figured oversteps cos they are over (sick of) using step sequencing…

ooooooh. damn you figured out the secret ambivalent meaning. the circle is complete now.

very clever of the Mr. Brown and the Mr. Booth.

untilted.

btw your avatar is beautiful.

Edited by Guest

actually i think the distortion in ilanders is great. nice and crunchy. i kinda wish the rest of the album sounded like that! i think if the whole album had beats like in ilanders, it'd be fuckin' excellent.

lol let's all gang up and write some percussion for this album and re-leak it.

ahh well it will concede it does sound better on headphones and my setup is a bit shit so hopefully the WAV/CD will deliver. I think st epero is the other one I am moaning about with the muddy ass distortion. Its the last track with beats anyway.

lol percussion

(edit: damn my percussion notation doesn't post well) it was a boom-tiss 4 to the floor)

that should do 909 of course :emotawesomepm9:

or maybe some amenz :squarepusher:

Edited by Food

what happened to the last thread i left this morning and it was like page 75 or something?!

the more i listen to this the more i like it...and known(1) is one of my favorites lol

there are some like tiny triplet lead ins that i hear in some of the songs to some of the patterns that are so legit

Edited by alpaca

Hey kaini can't on my phone ask glotch , this album is so amazing

is this a riddle? do you guys actually have a secret, higher quality mp3 version? :emotawesomepm9:

Am I going mad, or is krYlon pretty much the same as see on see, but pitched way down, with no (or hardly any) reverb and on a different synth program? The sequence seems identical apart from that.

Edited by Lianne