IGNORED

Autechre - Oversteps (WARP210) [The MegaThread]

Friendly Foil

I thought this was real but I'm very happy it's been confirmed. This is the first Autechre in a long time I haven't had to convince myself to like when it first came out. Draft, Untilted, and Quaristice had their moments but I love the move ae made with this one, it's a gorgeous sounding album right off the bat and I'm sure it will get even better as I become more familiar with the melodies. Oversteps ftw!

it's possibly worth mentioning that if something is actually pushing some boundries in some way it is almost certainly going to be first met with derision. it's not really possible for something to be do that's simultaneously pushing in a new direction and be liked by everyone.

this might just be pushing boundries in terms of what people can expect from autechre. it was the same thing with untilted - suddenly this incredibly dry, gridlocked album dropped and it sounded really different from the loose, organic feel of something like draft or confield. it wasn't trying to out-draft draft - it was making new music on different terms with a different aesthetic. it doesn't make sense to compare things like that - untilted will never beat confield on bizarre alien atmosphere, but neither does confield beat untilted in terms of a metallic primacy.

but yeah, not that music has to push boundries... but i guess what i'm saying is that the boundries of 5 years ago aren't really boundries any more are they? however fact is that it IS genuinely very new for autechre to make an album that doesn't seem to have percussion at the forefront and is melodically based. and furthermore - from what i can tell from this thread - melodic in a somewhat weird generative-sounding type way. i mean, generative is a stupid word to use because it's just a process and could actualise in any way possible (is a bach fugue generative?), but that means that it's functioning melodically but in a different way than before. that's the same sort of change as say, jungle changing the emphasis to the rhythm as a solo instrument and using tonal things as a solid backing for that. and you don't judge a jungle bass line in a jazz context do you?

so that's perhaps why the album doesn't have so many sweet beatz or dark farting bass - they've already made albums like that. a for them i think the only criteria is trying to make good music in different way from before. of course you don't have to like it, but it just seems silly to judge an album against another..

This.

What was mcbpete's post?

I quoted the picture in Fredd-E's post ( http://forum.watmm.com/topic/52419-autechre-oversteps-warp210-the-megathread/page__view__findpost__p__1238009 ) and said I wouldn't mind doing her in the chuff. I guess I shocked the morality of the forum software....

LP5 and EP7 in my mind redefined the way FM synthesis can be used, really pushed it's boundaries

which parts in particular?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh7bWakDWqI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuK7NStpULc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN359HOxBx8&feature=related

I love all these songs you posted. However, it is worth mentioning even these sound kind of same-y if you havent listened to them in a while (namely the ep7 examples). It's as if one can hear the same algorithm or rules being applied across 2/3rds of Lp5. It's almost like every album they release is centered around a certain "engine," which I particularly find interesting from an art-perspective as it makes an album seem more like a cohesive body of work.

Given that, I'd say Oversteps qualifies, but Untilted and Quaristice begin to stray away into a just being a collection of songs—less indebted to a concept (or as I said "engine"), and more defined by the tool/technology itself. Perhaps the openness of Max/MSP allows them to express themselves naturally, while Elektron gear forced them to "sound" like themselves.

I also wanted to mention the following: It's truly the sign of a master, when you push the boundaries by deliberately not setting out to push the boundaries. If I had to use one word to describe this album, it would be Grace

Edited by gl0tch

One more thing....

The additional track on the Japanese release.... How important is this shit gonna be?!?

For those who like the album, its another chance to extend it. For those who dont like Oversteps, its another chance to get the beatfuckery they are missing.

I'm really, really curious what this song is going to sound like. Even if it's a live song, that would put it in the last 5 years... which we all agree has kicked as live. If it's studio, it can go two ways.

If anyone was still wondering...

http://www.normanrecords.com/records/113468

Wow, cheers for posting the link! That totally removes my thinking of this being an Ae-made fake, which is obviously a shame (two Ae albums released within a couple of months would've been killer!) but I'm not majorly disappointed... at least not yet. My thoughts:

-I'm leaving the leaked file to rust until the release date. I've only heard it once all the way through.

-This album is a MASSIVE change in direction for Autechre. I wouldn't say much of it is like their back catalogue at all, apart from perhaps maybe some of the FM synthesis being similar to LP5/EP7 stuff for obvious reasons.

-known(1) is a really nice track and I don't get all the hate whatsoever...

-Ae don't need to push the boundaries or do anything like that in my opinion, just make the music that they want to make.

-That one time I heard it, my inital reaction was "whoa, this is weird but I like it" then it started to drag on a tad until the point I barely noticed it was there playing. I don't think I'm going to touch any Autechre releases between now and the 22nd or whenever the WAVs come out. I hope it'll make me think more of Oversteps when its released. Wish me luck.

Edited by futureimage

I've realized what I waste of time it was moaning on this thread about the album all the time. There's no point in such negativity - and there are some fine, original and strangely beautiful moments on Oversteps, so it was totally over the top to blast it as I did. It's certainly not rubbish - and it's a lot more interesting than the output from other big name 'IDM' guys as of late. known(1) aside, no artist deserves such a swarm of negative words for their efforts. I take back what I said - not because the album is necessarily amazing, but because what I did was just dickish.

Edited by Lianne

I've realized what I waste of time it was moaning on this thread about the album all the time. There's no point in such negativity - and there are some fine, original and strangely beautiful moments on Oversteps, so it was totally over the top to blast it as I did. It's certainly not rubbish - and it's a lot more interesting than the output from other big name 'IDM' guys as of late. known(1) aside, no artist deserves such a swarm of negative words for their efforts. I take back what I said - not because the album is necessarily amazing, but because what I did was just dickish.

I think you're the first noob flamer to actually repent your sins though so you're still good in my books.

lol enough. i've deleted the leak as i can't keep myself from having the whole pie at once, while the official release is over a month away. also the crossfades are fucking stupid.

when people say fm what does that mean exactly?

is this it? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frequency_modulation_synthesis

could someone explain/show examples of how this is recognizable?

Guess I'm a little late on this, but the simplest way to put it is: FM synthesis = Sega Genesis/MegaDrive music.

Also if you had a SoundBlaster 16 in the mid 90s, a lot of game music relied on the SB16's internal FM synthesizer.

And a lot of Midway pinball machines (Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom comes to mind) and various other arcade machines had them.

It's electronic sounding but can be weirdly realistic. Not like blocky, chunky NES sounds, more glassy, rubbery, bouncy.

I have a feeling this is going to become a classic for me, but I still can't get over how terrible the artwork is! WTF TDR! :wtf:

You think? I quite like it!

Is there something wrong with me? (don't answer that)