IGNORED

Autechre - Oversteps (WARP210) [The MegaThread]

Friendly Foil

I thought before it'd be Oversteps as in 'screw you, we're next level, we're one step ahead.'

This is what I was thinking too, before any of the leak discussions, but from the sound of it that may have been a gross misinterpretation. We'll see.

lol let's all gang up and write some percussion for this album and re-leak it.

Shit, that reminds me...I meant to say in the other thread that once this leak is confirmed official, after release, whatever...WATMM should make a remix album. I'm just saying that based on all the disappointment and comments about it being simple, beatless, too melodic, etc...let's (I mean you guys not me) tear this fucker up!!! I would love to hear reinterpretations. Though I still haven't heard it, for all I know I'll love it just the way it is.

it feels to me like most of the album is going for a drane2ish sort of thing, but failing. which i'm finding kind of frustrating so far.

i can't really find anything specific about any of the tracks that I really enjoy, but they all paint quite vivid images in my head. lots of Huge Chrome Cylinder Box Unfolding-artwork images swirling around in my head. with their other albums, maybe i focus too much on the actual music because there's so many things about each track i look forward to, hence missing out on just 'hearing' the album, instead of actively listening to it.

for oversteps it seems to be the opposite,it felt like my imagination was in charge.

and if this is fake (what's the consensus anyway?/), i'll most definitely be keeping this.

Edited by thief

too melodic

See, I would be dead excited for a beatless, super melodic Ae album in principle. It's just that the sounds they've played the melodies on on this one are mostly gash, and the melodies themselves clumsy and amateurish sounding. With the exception of the 5 tracks I listed earlier, of course. I'm not as big a fan of Amber as most people, but even Amber has better ratio of decent synth sounds than this -and if you're thinking, Ah melodies - just like the old days - think again.

someone help me. This girl Im talking to has a waffles account, She says she doesn't have any invites, only her friend that runs servers has them. Is this true? I thought that members have a couple invites they can give away.

Guest lithgow

Ahh, you'll be sorely disappointed, i'm not going anywhere. I own every Autechre release, and have the pictures to back it up, bub, so its not like I'm coming for a place of ignorance here. Hell, let's take that HUGE leap and say this IS the real album, I think I'm damn entitled to be a tad upset at my favorite electronic artists making utter DRIVEL like known1.

Also, I think it's absolutely ludicrous the amount of hyperbole being thrown around, how many times have you people even listened to this album? We have people making life declarations here "OH THIS IS THE BEST ELECTRONIC ALBUM EVER!" Really? after living with it for less than a week?

Sorry for double posting, known1 was on and I got caught up in how inane it is.

For the record, I think known(1) is beautiful. I haven't had a track get so stuck in my head in forever.

And man If you really are the Ae fan you say you are, you should try to approach this album with a more open mind. The melodies in some of the tracks are a bit uncomfortable at first but once you begin to memorize them, they start to make alot of sense and the implied notes and rhythms will creep out slowly. If I were you I would focus on qplay and Treale as both of those have been unfolding with surprising amounts of complexity for me.

All in all I would say this album is about finding that middle ground between ambience, melodic stuff, and downtempo beats. Not a ton of crazy beat-fuckery here which is probably why you aren't digging the album.

And yeah as far as hyperbole goes, you're equally at fault for the amount of negative hyperbole you're injecting into this thread. Just chill and let the music be what it is. You'll never get it if you listen to it constantly wishing it was something else. Then again, you might just not ever enjoy this album but that would really be a shame imo because there is alot of depth and soul to it. I'm tempted to say more depth and soul than any ae album previous to this, but I don't want to jump to conclusions in the first week or so of having it.

If this album still doesn't take to you, I recommend you put it aside for a week or so and try again later, preferably when you're really stoned (if you blaze). Just to be clear, I'm not trying to be preachy with you for no reason. You seem to be a fairly hardcore Autechre fan (considering you own all their stuff), and out of respect for you as a fellow Ae follower I hope you can find enjoyment in this album. The anger and negativity you're feeling are natural responses to new Ae albums. I shamelessly lambasted Subrange 6-36 when it came out, I was harsh and angry as fuck because it wasn't what I wanted. Once I let that anger settle, and accepted the track for what it was, it's grown on me and I now regard it as a masterpiece in terms of atmosphere.

One last thing as a footnote: ilanders is fucking amazing, so epic and emotional, and it has this feeling of continuous tension-building which really makes it a perfect track for #2

My mind is plenty open, it's just absolutely terrible music, known1 is absolute rubbish, I absolutely concur if someone were to put that track up and say they'd make it, they'd be roundly laughed at, it's the plain truth.

you're welcome to say that you think known(1) is shit, but when you say that if anyone else put it up and I heard it I wouldn't like it, you're not only questioning my sincerity, but also my authenticity.

and if you're insecure enough in your opinions that you have to do that, that it's just not possible for anyone to reasonably disagree with you, well, damn. I'd be insulted if you didn't look so pathetic.

So far I'm really enjoying "Lianne", "karmakramer", and "thief", I think they've got that sort of deep, mature sound that really rewards repeated listens. "Glotch", "Awepittance", and "Thehauntingsoul" are playful, catchy little ditties that seem to go on a tad too long, could have been edited down. Then there are a few like "lithgow" that are just a bit grating and you wonder what they were thinking. Overall though, pretty varied - the really long running time just seems to fly by, it doesn't drag at all.

So far I'm really enjoying "Lianne", "karmakramer", and "thief", I think they've got that sort of deep, mature sound that really rewards repeated listens. "Glotch", "Awepittance", and "Thehauntingsoul" are playful, catchy little ditties that seem to go on a tad too long, could have been edited down. Then there are a few like "lithgow" that are just a bit grating and you wonder what they were thinking. Overall though, pretty varied - the really long running time just seems to fly by, it doesn't drag at all.

hahahaha

Guest lithgow

you're welcome to say that you think known(1) is shit, but when you say that if anyone else put it up and I heard it I wouldn't like it, you're not only questioning my sincerity, but also my authenticity.

and if you're insecure enough in your opinions that you have to do that, that it's just not possible for anyone to reasonably disagree with you, well, damn. I'd be insulted if you didn't look so pathetic.

You are fooling yourself, so what if i am calling you out? I'm far from the only one to think it, indeed, someone else brought up the posting it on here thing, i would bet any amount of money someone would be lambasted for that track.

Also, wow, mighty smug attitude, have fun listening to your shit album in that castle on high...

c'mon, is it really appropriate to call any music terrible? maybe for stuff with no heart, but to imply that ae didn't put any effort into it is ridiculous, learn to distinguish between stuff you don't like and stuff that is objectively bad (slight oxymoron, I know)

Of course you can call music terrible, are you a mindless sheep? is there only one color in your world?

I can't wait til you all find out this is fake for sure, it will be truly hilarious (but also truly sad, too) I wonder how many people will be listening to this fake in 4 months...

Edited by lithgow

If anyone was still wondering...

http://www.normanrecords.com/records/113468

Cool!

Interesting to note... as far as I can tell, the clips are of the first 30 seconds of each track. If I'm right that means that (as we all assumed) there aren't any weird awkward crossfades.

It also reminds me that I really really like Os Veix3. It reminds me of Uviol.

Edited by Springymajig

he relented and admitted the possibily that it's not fake and began the next phase of his mourning before this news broke. good timing on his part.

hey but wait maybe norman records is in on it or got fooled themselves? hmmmmm???

so this confirms we do have all the tracks, if there was any doubt around that because of the last.fm confusion

so does this maybe mean that that last.fm guy had a promo that doubled the last track, and that the one we have doubles the 2nd track? did everyone figure that out already?

Confirmation of the leak makes all the comments about technical simplicity, pre-made tools, etc. even more interesting. A good chunk of the fanbase seem to want Ae records to push the technical envelope above all else - if tracks are made with recognisable tools it's seen as a failure somehow. Since I don't use any of this software, as a listener the album seems almost austere in its rejection of technique, and creates its effects by very conventional means - dissonance, harmony, timbre, rhythm. The fact that it *sounds* so immediately Autechre is brilliant - they are about feel, instinct, sensibility, presence, not software development or hardware hacking. This record seems like a very deliberate statement to that effect - the arms race ends here. Quaristice attempted to break the forms by being casual instead of fanatical, but Oversteps is really quite a formal record. I have a lot of respect for that and I think this will be up there with their peak output.

• Like 1