Autechre - Oversteps (WARP210) [The MegaThread]

Friendly Foil

Top 5

Oversteps

Amber

Tri Repetae

Untilted

Quaristice

I say top 5 because in reality those are just the albums I've really given solid listens to. I'm sure my top 5 will change as I listen more of their discography

Guest Garkken

01 Confield

02 Chiastic Slide

03 Quaristice

04 Draft 7.30

05 EP7

06 Incunabula

07 Tri Repetae

08 Amber

09 Untilted

10 LP5

At what point will Oversteps, I do not know ...

Pentagsn is the split they did with Bathory in 1994, right? Just before Anti? I still need to pick up that shit.

I wish they would go back to blackened idm.

Pentagsn is the split they did with Bathory in 1994, right? Just before Anti? I still need to pick up that shit.

I wish they would go back to blackened idm.

I'm glad someone here knows about that. You must know Shaun_Alfonso? I picked it up from him like a year ago

Guest lithgow

The Wire #313 (march issue):

ae_wire.jpg

message board acolytes

WATMBA.COM

utter dreck, i hope the writer dies of painful rectal cancer.

Guest ataraxy2

Might as well join in the fun!

1. Confield

2. Tri Repetae

3. Amber

4. Untilted

5. Draft 7.30

6. Incunabula

7. LP5

8. Chiastic Slide

9. Quaristice

10. Oversteps

Those spaces are intentional.

I thought it was great too - I've read a lot of shitty, thesaurus-milking dreck in the music press, but the difference here is that the guy knows what the words actually mean.

I know that feeling of the ghost of the rhythmic pulse remaining in your mind long after the beats have been scrambled beyond recognition, in fact if there was a single quality I could use to describe their music, that would be it. So many times I find myself nodding to a rhythm that's not even there.

The bbc features a couple of amazingly well-written reviews of earlier works by ae. Draft in particular. Check em out :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/reviews/rxqv

BBC Review

Long awaited newie from Sheffield glitchmasters Autechre, complete with...

Colin Buttimer 2002-11-20

...heavy slurring drums like the thunder of too-close-for-comfort artillery ("IV VV IV VV VIII")...

...perhaps the most gorgeous of the ten tracks, it appears to be a section cut from a circular whole ("Tapr")...

Draft 7.30 evinces a ceaseless motion which in transit mutates, corrodes, malfunctions. It's fascinating like the first sight of stop-motion photography. The quality of movement is predominantly heavy as in mercury or cadmium - said density marks Draft 7.30 out from Autechre's previous work. This simple equation (movement/change x weight) conveys a sense of fearsome, unpredictable momentum.

Autechre map their own territories. Draft 7.30 at times conjures THX1138, George Lucas's masterpiece of sound and visual design (the police chase, the crowd scenes); at times The Brothers Quay'sInstitute Benjamenta (the abstract dances of apprentice manservants as they seek to become automata in the harsh service of future employers).

...skull percussion played with wooden fists ("Xylin Room")...

...the onset of dusk activates lighting systems in a global sweep ("P.:NTIL")...

Imagine hiphop channeled via low quality microphones into surveillance systems, broadcast inside urban defence architectures (cf City of Quartz, Mike Davis); imagine it caught and reflected in a hall of mirrors shattering in slow motion.

Draft 7.30 is the visceral chitter-chatter of machines as they function and malfunction, as they adapt to new conditions. It's the rhythm of routers and sub-net masks, of mainframes and backbones. It's the sound of the KlingKlang studio as Ralf and Florian accelerate away down a long straight on their carbonfibre frames. The robots have become software bots, viral worms; the superhighway has succeeded the autobahn.

As the complexity of systems grow, unpredictability increases. Draft 7.30 is the sound of our technological present in all its intricacy and resultant strangeness.

wtf, people are serioulsy underrating draft in their rankings. imo, it's their best album. followed by confield.

I know! I'll never understand why so many people have trouble getting along with Draft! It's sublime!

Oversteps i just getting better and better. Now that the melody lines are starting to sink in it´s getting quite epic all together.

It´s like Autechre own soundtrack. Very easy listening and nice for bus rides and long walks.

Edited by frits

1. Confield

2. Oversteps

3. Draft

4. LP5

5. Chiastic

6. Untilted

7. Tri Rep

8. Quaristice

9. Incunabula

10. Amber

Does change quite often though. :trashbear:

wtf, people are serioulsy underrating draft in their rankings. imo, it's their best album. followed by confield.

sure, I agree. Draft and Conf are amongst the best by Ae.

lol i don't know what you guys get out of Confield. :trashbear:

1. Quaristice++

1. Oversteps

1. Chiastic Slide

1. Draft 7.30

1. Untilted

2. LP5

2. Amber

2. Tri Repetae++

3. Incunabula

4. Confield

Damn it, I knew this would go off the rails, ok here's mine:

1/2: Chiastic Slide/LP5

3: EP7/Envane/Cichli Suite

4: Oversteps

5/6: Confield/Draft 7.30

7/8/9: Incunabula, Amber, Tri Rep++ as long as it has Garbage and Anvil Vapre

10/11: Amber/Untilted

12: Quaristice

am i the only one here who thinks draft is a predictable (if not weak) album ?

after confield & its abstract/esoteric charms, i found draft pretty complicated & a bit boring. its not a bad record, it has its great moments, but when it came out, i really felt the gescom iss isa was better. to my ears, draft is nice but Untilted (or confield) seems more inspired/risky.

am i the only one here who thinks draft is a predictable (if not weak) album ?

after confield & its abstract/esoteric charms, i found draft pretty complicated & a bit boring. its not a bad record, it has its great moments, but when it came out, i really felt the gescom iss isa was better. to my ears, draft is nice but Untilted (or confield) seems more inspired/risky.

Predictable? WWWWTTFFFFFF???? Xylin Room? IV VV IV VV VIII? 61e.CR? Tapr? Surripere? Theme of sudden roundabout? VL AL 5? P.:ntil? V-Proc? Reniform Puls? All of these tracks have surprises and unpredictable stuff going on. I have no idea how you could call an Ae album predictable because one of the main purposes of Ae albums seems that they are unpredictable.

Guest bardamu

draft is insane. i used to think that between untilted/draft/confield, confield was clearly the best, but then i realized each had its special charm. for me draft is way more textural than confield. i first got into it from a sound design perspective, then realized that there were melodies buried in draft just as beautiful as confield. a good litmus test is if youve noticed the "hidden" melodies in the end of vproc (the weird reverb tails that form a carnival like melody) or the first half of surripere (the slightly tonal wooden hits!).

(it was only a matter of time before this thread devolved into album ranking)