IGNORED

Autechre - Oversteps (WARP210) [The MegaThread]

Friendly Foil

Guest Somethin

i highly recommend you get a record player, you're not just missing out on bonus tracks you're missing out on an extremely pleasurable & very tactile form of music listening that is in my strong opinion far more satisfying than listening to a CD or an mp3

Probably not. There is no evidence showing Vinyl to be superior in sound quality over CD

Guest Calx Sherbet

cmon bleep, I want to give you more of my money, just release the bloody wavs already

You need to do something with yourself

why, it's fucking autechre!!!!

i highly recommend you get a record player, you're not just missing out on bonus tracks you're missing out on an extremely pleasurable & very tactile form of music listening that is in my strong opinion far more satisfying than listening to a CD or an mp3

Probably not. There is no evidence showing Vinyl to be superior in sound quality over CD

Probably not what? you disagree with the level of pleasure i receive from listening to records? you seem to be missing my point,but you also sound like someone who has not had the pleasure of playing record probably because you are in highschool . its just a different experience and it makes you appreciate the act of listening to music more than say the average internet idm fanboy who just sits at their computer on AIM chatting up friends with a itunes playlist shuffled in the background.

Edited by Awepittance

i really wish i'd bought amber when i saw it on vinyl 8 years ago. fuck! if there's ANY autechre album i desperately need on vinyl, it's amber. i've got basscadep ep7.1, lp5, confield and draft and they're lush as fuck.

Probably not what? you disagree with the level of pleasure i receive from listening to records? you seem to be missing my point,but you also sound like someone who has not had the pleasure of playing record probably because you are in highschool . its just a different experience and it makes you appreciate the act of listening to music more than say the average internet idm fanboy who just sits at their computer on AIM chatting up friends with a itunes playlist shuffled in the background.

fuckin' lol.

i love listening to vinyl simply because it makes you pay more attention to it, ie having to flip it over every 25mins or so.

Right, cd vs vinyl. The technical aspect, at least some of it, is as follows. CDs have a higher dynamic range, whereas vinyl has a higher frequency response, in theory.

But in reality, for various reasons, vinyl does not take advantage of the potential for higher frequency response. Whereas it is often the case that vinyl is more sympathetically mastered than cd, and while a cd will have a lower noise floor, its mastering may well mean the dynamics are squashed to oblivion.

Vinyl, in both the manufacturing process and playing, produces lots of distortions. However, these can be subjectively perceived as pleasureable, often described with the meaningless terms 'warmth' and 'punch'.

So, in the vast majority of cases, in a measurement of objective technical fidelity, cds beat vinyl. But there are other technical factors (mastering, distortion) that can mean that vinyl is subjectively better. Add in all the other stuff that's great about vinyl (large format artwork, collecting and resale value, the tactile nature of playing it etc etc), your comment appears as follows:

person A: I like vinyl.

person B: Hey I read on the internets that you're wrong

person A: I'm a fraud and for the past twenty years have been living a lie, all the pleasure music has given me is null and void.

I think autechre sounds great on vinyl. I prefer BoC on cd, although sometimes this has as much to do with poor quality pressings on coloured vinyl. But it could only ever be a subjective judgement.

I listened to a few samples, and a very initial reaction: it seems to me a lot of the sounds on oversteps sound inspired by the Hang drum, a modern 'steel-drum' type o f instrument.

IMG_pene_886.jpg

theres plenty of videos on youtube to hear what it sounds like

Specifically, the melody structures sound similar. But with a layer of chimes or brass instruments over the top.. or something... once again, i only listened to a few samples

Edited by Marked x 0ne

i really wish i'd bought amber when i saw it on vinyl 8 years ago. fuck! if there's ANY autechre album i desperately need on vinyl, it's amber. i've got basscadep ep7.1, lp5, confield and draft and they're lush as fuck.

Amber is tasty on vinyl, highly recommend getting hold of it if you can

Question: If I wait a year or two before I get around to buying a vinyl player, will it be incredibly difficult to track down the full Ae discog? I'm thinking more specifically of the earlier releases like Incunabula, Amber, the ep's that weren't limited press. Haven't really bothered looking into it before because I figured I'd collect later when I have a surplus of money but if the records are out of print I might do well to snag a few of them up now just so I have them. Experts?

here are prices i've paid for used AE stuff on vinyl

Draft 7.30: $14

Quaristice : $21

Untilted : $25

Chiastic SLide: $45

Peel Session 2 : $20

i think prices of vinyl and popularity of listening to music on vinyl is just going to go up in 2 years. I mean shit go to a Bed Bath and Beyond (an american home fixtures chain store) and youll see a ton of different cheap entry level record player options.

HauntingSoul you can pick up a Numark PT-01 portable turntable for aroynd $85, it requires no preamp and can be plugged directly into headphones or a stereo with an audio input. Otherwise i recommend going to a thrift store and just picking up a table for under $30-40 that has a functional stylus, cartridge (the casing holding the neddle) and belt (the rubber ring that causes a turntable to spin). Some turntables are 'direct drive' which means they wont have a belt. but if you get one of these all you need is a $10-20 preamp that will make it ready to go. When i first started buying records before i could afford a decent player i used to buy those old school turntable/stereo combos. These make it easier to instantly play with buying no additional equipment. Usually it will be something like a cassette deck/radio stack and record player at the very top.

Edited by Awepittance

I think I remember that time 8 years ago when the ae albums got vinyl reissues, I saw chiastic slide for a decent price in a goddamn hot topic. buying that could've absolutely justified having been in a hot topic.

I´ve got about ½ of Aes releases on vinyl but tend to use the cd versions more often.

As regards to listening experience I far prefer vinyl. Yes, it may seem laconic and somewhat quaint to prefer something for its tactile qualities yet the whole setup of getting the record on the turntable, sitting back and LISTENING to the music. Not "just" playing another cd/mp3. There´s a feeling of occasion not often encountered with digital media.

I remember purchasing Untilted, rushing home, putting on the first track... waiting, wondering... and then suddenly being assaulted by that raw, relentless beat . . . actually, in parts, that particular record has a very analog feel to it.

I listened to a few samples, and a very initial reaction: it seems to me a lot of the sounds on oversteps sound inspired by the Hang drum, a modern 'steel-drum' type o f instrument.

IMG_pene_886.jpg

Specifically, the melody structures sound similar. But with a layer of chimes or brass instruments over the top.. or something... once again, i only listened to a few samples

Wow, you're right! I can't believe I didn't think of that! Perhaps that's why this album, um, resonates with me so much! This video has been a favorite of mine for quite some time:

hm lol, my Oversteps appreciation took a massive dump the last couple of days.

among other things i went to Sammlung Brandhorst to see how it mixed with fresh architecture and 20th century (mostly pop-)art. Didn't work at all. Quaristice on the other hand…

Quaristice++ ftw!

/end

:facepalm:

:cisfor:

among other things i went to Sammlung Brandhorst to see how it mixed with fresh architecture and 20th century (mostly pop-)art. Didn't work at all. Quaristice on the other hand…

Quaristice++ ftw!

/end

That's funny. You should go to an Olafur Eliasson exhibit and listen... I'm sure you'll gain your experience back.

Wow, you're right! I can't believe I didn't think of that! Perhaps that's why this album, um, resonates with me so much! This video has been a favorite of mine for quite some time:

There used to be a guy on the London South Bank who played a couple of Hang drums. Probably had them nicked though.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PANArt-Hang-Drum_W0QQitemZ320488220238QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4a9e96264e

Vinyl, in both the manufacturing process and playing, produces lots of distortions. However, these can be subjectively perceived as pleasureable, often described with the meaningless terms 'warmth' and 'punch'.

That's what I was getting at in my last post about Are Y are we?. Some of the older autechre music really sounds great on vinyl because it takes advantage of these particularities of the medium. Now that I think about it, so does some of quaristice. (And the bigger cover art is a huge plus!)

Personally, I prefer, given the choice, to download the music and buy the vinyl and skip the CD. CDs are generally worthless, vinyl is collectible--I have hundreds of CDs that I couldn't even give away, if I had them on vinyl, they would retain their value (not that I plan on selling them anyway)

for me:

1. LP5

2. Chiastic Slide

3. Confield

4. EP7

5. Oversteps

6. Tri Rep

7. Untilted

8. Amber

9. Incunabula

10. Pentagsn

Mine is very similar to yours, minus number 10, haha.

Quaristice++ ftw!

/end

That's funny. You should go to an Olafur Eliasson exhibit and listen... I'm sure you'll gain your experience back.

hm yeah i'd like that, however his only work i've experienced so far (also in Munich, BMW) was a bit shit.

a win-win situation for him and BMW :facepalm: .

but alas, i guess Oversteps might not have worked in there cause it's more in-your-face than the other releases… it just interfered. lol i'm typing stuff on a message board :trashbear:

Edited by Guest

IMG_pene_886.jpg

omfg I need to get one of those and learn how to play it. Most IDM instrument ever.