IGNORED

I Phear This Forum May Be Starting To Make Me Hate Aphex Twin

Guest Masonic Boom

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Fishtank

Yeah, see this is it. When you feel like it's a constant fight to be who you are, or express yourself in a way that feels natural to you without being constantly mocked or made to feel abnormal or even evil.

That's when you start to think "is this a silly and fun way to waste a boring day in the office, or is this something that is just making feel guilty for being who I am."

It's doing my fucking head in. That's all. Should waste my time enjoying mine own fandom in a way that doesn't threaten or upset anyone else, I guess. And doesn't make me feel like shit for being a fan. Like sit around and make my eyes go funny drawing things like this...

YOU NEED THIS!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wS5xOZ7Rq8

Guest Masonic Boom

Just power through, a lot of people on here have fallen to this imaginary peer pressure of having to be a complete twat cos everyone else is. I mean, this is the internet but it's turned into real life or something?

I think this is the most sensible thing that anyone has said here in days.

I was having a bit of a moment last night. A bit of a "it's not the band I hate, it's the fans" moment. Followed by a bit of a "is it me?" moment.

I know that I'm older than the average internet user these days, and I should be all jaded and shit - but I had this sudden flash. That in the mid-90s, the internet was where you went off to get *away* from the conformism, the anti-intellectualism, the hate-games, you know, talk to a bunch of computer geeks. It wasn't perfect by any stretch but this high school bullshit was definitely in the minority.

Now going on the web is like opening the Daily Mail.

You try being reasonable and logical and fair, you get this kind of open sewer of hatred directed at you. You try being jokey and smutty and dumb, you get this open sewer of hatred directred at you. I accept that different internet communities have different cultures and you have to make *some* effort to acclimatise, but this is ridiculous.

I joined this forum because I'm a somewhat obsessive fan of Aphex Twin and have been rediscovering a lot of the world of that kind of music. I also like a lot of the geeky sci fi futurist culture that goes along with this music. But I never expected the kind of hate-mongering, misogyny, ultra-conformism, conservatism, outright anti-intellectualism that seems common on this forum, from *THIS* kind of crowd.

Is this part and parcel of what this culture is now? Because if it is, then I vastly mis-estimated what this place is and what it's about. I joined this community to talk about music, to talk about the philosophy and culture that goes behind that music, to look at pictures of gear, to hear what other producers are creating and maybe even collaborate with them.

Sorry for starting such a meta-thread. It's entirely possible I am in the wrong place if I've misunderstood the culture and thrust of this board.

It'd probably be quite nice if a moderator locked this thread now, before it descends into more nastiness.

Guest AcrossCanyons

It's an internet forum? I don't understand what you could expect from it...

Besides, all of those topics you mentioned are about?

Guest Lube Saibot

hate-mongering, misogyny, ultra-conformism, conservatism, outright anti-intellectualism

...were among the accusations that the group F.E.M.I. (Fursona-Endowed Moms against the Internet) made in their protests of WATMM. In other news, women becoming reproductively barren following prolonged intervals of sexual drought are freaking out online - doctors consider reinstating the antiquated definition of "hysteria" and resuming the practices associated with the condition.

Guest Lube Saibot

450px-Hysteria.jpg

->

20060120-steam_dildo.jpg + Sears_vibrators.jpg

->

tumblr_kuldybQ1by1qz9qooo1_r1_500.gif

(my sincere apologies to brandi_b, hoodie(?) and all the other nice ladies on this forum who might take offense from the above; this is a direct dedication to the OP)

Just power through, a lot of people on here have fallen to this imaginary peer pressure of having to be a complete twat cos everyone else is. I mean, this is the internet but it's turned into real life or something?

I was having a bit of a moment last night. A bit of a "it's not the band I hate, it's the fans" moment. Followed by a bit of a "is it me?" moment.

I know that I'm older than the average internet user these days, and I should be all jaded and shit - but I had this sudden flash. That in the mid-90s, the internet was where you went off to get *away* from the conformism, the anti-intellectualism, the hate-games, you know, talk to a bunch of computer geeks. It wasn't perfect by any stretch but this high school bullshit was definitely in the minority.

You try being reasonable and logical and fair, you get this kind of open sewer of hatred directed at you. You try being jokey and smutty and dumb, you get this open sewer of hatred directred at you. I accept that different internet communities have different cultures and you have to make *some* effort to acclimatise, but this is ridiculous.

I joined this forum because I'm a somewhat obsessive fan of Aphex Twin and have been rediscovering a lot of the world of that kind of music. I also like a lot of the geeky sci fi futurist culture that goes along with this music. But I never expected the kind of hate-mongering, misogyny, ultra-conformism, conservatism, outright anti-intellectualism that seems common on this forum, from *THIS* kind of crowd.

Is this part and parcel of what this culture is now? Because if it is, then I vastly mis-estimated what this place is and what it's about. I joined this community to talk about music, to talk about the philosophy and culture that goes behind that music, to look at pictures of gear, to hear what other producers are creating and maybe even collaborate with them.

Sorry for starting such a meta-thread. It's entirely possible I am in the wrong place if I've misunderstood the culture and thrust of this board.

It'd probably be quite nice if a moderator locked this thread now, before it descends into more nastiness.

it's a shame you feel bullied. i certainly wouldn't want any part in anything malicious. i'm all for a bit of friendly ribbing for those that can handle it. if you can't, fair do's. if this place is affecting your mood so much i'd suggest you look for some other outlets for your writing/discussion based desires.

i think maybe the problem is that you put too much effort into your posts, a bombardment of your views, opinions, experiences, which ultimately leads to your disappointment in the short replies and flippancy you get in return. it's a bit like you're meeting a new person and telling them your life story all in one breath and they're like "okaaaaaaaaaaay... is that the time?"...

and surely you know that liking the same music as someone doesn't necessarily mean you're going to get along? i mean that stuff you suss out in primary school, no?

Yeah, see this is it. When you feel like it's a constant fight to be who you are, or express yourself in a way that feels natural to you without being constantly mocked or made to feel abnormal or even evil.

That's when you start to think "is this a silly and fun way to waste a boring day in the office, or is this something that is just making feel guilty for being who I am."

It's doing my fucking head in. That's all. Should waste my time enjoying mine own fandom in a way that doesn't threaten or upset anyone else, I guess. And doesn't make me feel like shit for being a fan. Like sit around and make my eyes go funny drawing things like this...

YOU NEED THIS!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wS5xOZ7Rq8

AND

small_joint.jpg

Guest hahathhat

I'll stick up for you MB. But you do post some wierd and wonderful stuff which leaves you wide open and an easy target. I wouldn't take it all too seriously though.

bbbut, everything is serious on the internet!!

I also like a lot of the geeky sci fi futurist culture that goes along with this music.

err...what? none of the artists featured on this board are into this kind of thing. you're talking about electro and techno for sure but these artists are just not into this. autechre, yeah the music sounds futuristic but it has nothing to do with science-fiction.

also, this is just a forum, don't expect to find the secret of life here.

also, most people here are like 16 years-old.

lol @ someone actually taking watmm seriously. 90% of the active posters on this board are continually taking the piss. if you haven't figured that out yet you deserve to be trolled.

lol @ someone actually taking watmm seriously. 90% of the active posters on this board are continually taking the piss. if you haven't figured that out yet you deserve to be trolled.

it does get a little old though (if i see one more hahathhat post...)

YOU'VE BLOWN THE TRANSAXEL! YOU'RE JUST GRINDING METAL.

Ease down.

ease down.

Look, this is an emotional moment for all of us, okay? I know that. But, let's not make snap judgments, please. This is clearly-clearly an important thread we're dealing with and I don't think that you or I, or anybody, has the right to arbitrarily exterminate it.

Archived