Guest Greg Reason

Sweeet, thanks for the heads up! Sounds amazing so far actually... And mastered by Rude 66 too (another mark of quality).

this sounds great, part of me was expecting an Ambiente release since it was in collaboration with a Mexican act (ambiente is a slang term for homosexual in mexico which was relayed by Coil in an interview from the 90s which ive never been able to find since)

good to see Lydia Lunch in with some of these, i wanna fuck that woman's mind

read an interview about a proposed link up with Diamanda Galas....... intense , summat else that might've been

does anyone remember or have a copy of the interview Coil gave once around the late 90s about them visiting Mexico and asking for 'ambient' at a CD store?

Edited by John Ehrlichman

any coil fan in or near nyc should check out live shows by drew mcdowall (ex-coil) if you get the chance. his show in brooklyn this saturday was great, and he apparently has an lp coming out next month.

you can hear a live set of his on a wfmu radio broadcast here:

http://www.wfmu.org/flashplayer.php?version=2&show=60997&archive=130444

it's an hour in, but there is lots of other great music to listen to on the show.

does anyone remember or have a copy of the interview Coil gave once around the late 90s about them visiting Mexico and asking for 'ambient' at a CD store?

i remember it, but can't remember what interview it was. perhaps around the time of the elph or time machines release?

Edited by Ingwe

cheers for this, Drew (& Rose) have put out some timeless sounds down through the years

any coil fan in or near nyc should check out live shows by drew mcdowall (ex-coil) if you get the chance. his show in brooklyn this saturday was great, and he apparently has an lp coming out next month.

you can hear a live set of his on a wfmu radio broadcast here:

http://www.wfmu.org/flashplayer.php?version=2&show=60997&archive=130444

it's an hour in, but there is lots of other great music to listen to on the show.

Guest MastaN8

Doesn't surprise me, Peter was a big Aphex fan. I met him in NYC at an Aphex gig in 1997. We discussed his love for the twin and how they were trying to contact RDJ for a remix.

Yeah the closest to coil/aphex remix was that track "At the heart of it all" off of the (basically coil album ) Nine inch nail remix cd further down the spiral.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I had the wonderful pleasure of playing the bassline from The Last Amethyst Deceiver on my uncle's beautiful mandocello-Irish bouzouki fusion a few days ago (but transposed down by a fifth). It sounded even better than on the studio version of that song, so good that I immediately fell in love with the instrument. For only four courses of strings, it has an incredible range.

Seriously, though, that bassline is one of the best things ever.

Edited by drillkicker

Slightly obsolete bump but I'm thrilled when I find Coil stuff I've never heard before, tonight I'm in love with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v71NUsJt_eM

its kinda crazy how little Coil is associated with IDM considering that this sounds pretty much like a psychedelic as fuck Plaid song long before Plaid was doing stuff this weird and/or good

if you like that track check out Unnatural History 2 & 3 and also Stolen and Contaminated Songs (an overlooked sister 'remix' ep to Loves secret domain which has a lot of totally new shit on it, mostly instrumental)

there should be a a Coil compilation of all their most idm/weird techno style music. There is enough of it but not too much that it couldn't fill a solid 2xCD set

anyone interested in doing a poll or a watmm custom Coil idm/beats compilation?

Theme from Blue/Hills are Alive would be the opening track (instead of the last track like on Unnatural History)

Edited by John Ehrlichman

Slightly obsolete bump but I'm thrilled when I find Coil stuff I've never heard before, tonight I'm in love with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v71NUsJt_eM

its kinda crazy how little Coil is associated with IDM considering that this sounds pretty much like a psychedelic as fuck Plaid song long before Plaid was doing stuff this weird and/or good

if you like that track check out Unnatural History 2 & 3 and also Stolen and Contaminated Songs (an overlooked sister 'remix' ep to Loves secret domain which has a lot of totally new shit on it, mostly instrumental)

there should be a a Coil compilation of all their most idm/weird techno style music. There is enough of it but not too much that it couldn't fill a solid 2xCD set

anyone interested in doing a poll or a watmm custom Coil idm/beats compilation?

Theme from Blue/Hills are Alive would be the opening track (instead of the last track like on Unnatural History)

I completely agree, they just get lumped into the industrial genre because of their roots, same as Ulver still being viewed as black metal (and iirc it was mostly Coil's music who influenced their change of styles). Thanks for the recommendations, I do have Stolen & Contaminated Songs which I like way more than LSD to be quite honest. Nasa Arab and Who'll Fall are mostly responsible for that, and Baby Food reminded me of Nasa Arab, so I won the lottery here :)

The Unnatural History comps are high on my priorities list now too, can't believe I never checked them out before...

I'm very much in for a Coil braindance selection, would love a proper compilation of similar Coil vibes. Could very well work as a gateway for braindance fans too :)

Unfortunately it isn't released properly (afaik?), but this track would also fit on there.

And more obvious choices (some mentioned but I'm already sort of compiling here :))

(b/c Quoth sample)

Anymore to add for a comp / poll?

Not at home sooooo, from broken memory......

Algerian Basses is a bit like Egyptian Basses = mint. Have you seen the Derek Jarman vid for that? Saw a doc where DJ was onnabart slowing film frame-rates down to a specific rate (summat like a 6th speed) to create a completely different mood..... & it fuckin works!

Stephen Thrower says he couldnt abide by tracks like The Snow, but imho its a great tune. Also, "Where Even the Darkness is Something to See" is prob 1 of the few tracks to successfully incorporate a didgeridoo

I love the sequence of "Something" into "Higher Beings Command", just for the balance (!) of soft repetitive vocal weirdness (something what exactly?) to headfuck electronica

Coil as Zos Kia had some beauties, "Stealing the Words" is simple & otherworldly in the best way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQnOzMd0tPc

Coil/ELpH - pHILM:

softer, drone, whateverthefuck pieces, well they're a universe unto themselves,,,,, Magnetic North, Under An Unquiet Skull pt1, Enochian Calling, Glowworms/Waveforms, My Angel (Director's Cut w/COH),,,,,, some favourite compositions that guided me thru some of life's sketchier periods

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMNOsZaMywM

the COH/Stephen Thrower (and Coil?) release with Prayer For Russell is a wicked track

Last but not least, off Time Machines, Methoxy-ß-Carboline (Telepathine) and Indolol, 3-[2-(Dimethylamino)Ethyl]' Phosphate Ester (Psilocybin) are incredible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6IR90tgtDI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE-nHkeQSOg