IGNORED

Futurama is Back!!!

Boxing Day

Guest Smuckers

Nice police academy/minority report episode :D

one of the funniest episodes yet. had me creasin up. that tron section was a fuckin trip, really vibed out to that. officer url is awesome.

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

i stopped watching when they made a reference to obama. i'm not down with shitty pop culture shout outs in television.

yeah, keep the shitty pop culture out of my shitty pop culture

Guest Frankie5fingers

i stopped watching when they made a reference to obama. i'm not down with shitty pop culture shout outs in television.

im not against pop culture references, but they should be a BIG NO NO in Futurama. The show is supposed to take place in the 31st century, so references to the 21st are not really relevant at all. their Pop culture references should be made up, id think that be even funnier. besides, i think Futurama should have more Science-y jokes. the ones that they have are hilarious but there are to few of them. Like how the Planet Express ship doesn't actually fly, it moves the Universe around it. thats really funny.

im not against pop culture references, but they should be a BIG NO NO in Futurama. The show is supposed to take place in the 31st century, so references to the 21st are not really relevant at all. their Pop culture references should be made up, id think that be even funnier. besides, i think Futurama should have more Science-y jokes. the ones that they have are hilarious but there are to few of them. Like how the Planet Express ship doesn't actually fly, it moves the Universe around it. thats really funny.

yeah, this is my reasoning as well.

yeah, keep the shitty pop culture out of my shitty pop culture

totally missed the point :rolleyes:

Guest Frankie5fingers

yeah, so i just watched the new episode. the Shatner reference was......tolerable. but the Paris Hilton reference. AHHHHHHHHHH. they really fucked up this time. sorry but im not watching anymore of these shitty new episodes.

watmm is now officially the bitch about everything in popular entertainment forum

Holy shit, I thought you would have known that after 4 years.

I thought this new season has been more like the old-school Futurama than their first run on Comedy Central. Hasn't Futurama always had popcult references? Admittedly some have stood out, but for instance the Presidential campaign episode from last week was very topical but I thought they pulled it off well and made it a bonafide Futurama episode.

But I guess liking something isn't a WATMM thing to do.

Four years ago this was the tits and cocks forum, but NICE OFFICIAL COVERUP SQUEE

Yes, Futurama always had pop culture references.

There aren't really that many per episode.

It's not a serious imagining of a self-contained culture one thousand years into the future. Anachronisms are used as jokes. It's ok not to like it, but it's always been part of the show.

lame references to the kardashians, paris hilton, etc do come off as really lazy jokes ("I like the kind of jokes you don't have to think about too much", ie, Banya is writing the new season), but my point was that it's still a pop culture show - one that has been cancelled a few times and is no doubt prone to shitty ideas from the Network Execubots - and these jokes are to be expected. :shrug: also i was just being a smart ass, but the point stands.

@baph: indeed, I was amazed that Cohen proved a theorem and made an episode of it - there's a cool article about it at american physical society: http://www.aps.org/p...05/profiles.cfm

and while this is only barely relevant to the last few posts, i liked what cohen had to say:

“One thing I worry about is that when we purposely present inaccurate science in Futurama in the name of entertainment, that viewers may hold it against us,” he concedes. “We do have genuine respect for science, and we’re trying, when we can, to raise the level of discussion of science on television. If we fail sometimes, I hope people still appreciate the frequent attempts to bring real science into the show. I apologize in advance for any failures in the future, because I’m sure there will be many more, hopefully entertaining, failures.”

“Comedy writing is not closely related to physics,” Cohen concludes. And yet he does confess that the research arm of science in general has correlations to comedy writing, in that their creative processes have similarities. “On a day to day basis, I’m not using a lot of diagrams and solving differential equations. But sometimes in writing, as in scientific research, you rely on your gut instinct and your experience to tell you that yes, I am setting off on a road that is worthwhile.”

Guest Frankie5fingers

i still like the fake science though. cause its usually so crazy. as for it being a pop culture show it was never this straight forward like it was last night. the old episodes would translate it into the 31st century. not something straight out of the 21st. basically the social commentary would be how the stupid things we did today affected the future. the Paris Hilton joke was not like that. it was just a straight shot.

Archived