IGNORED

Battles split up

beariksson

"Battles and Tyondai would like to let their fans know they have chosen to follow their own musical paths.

Due to Battles' ambitions of finishing their second studio album followed by commitments to a full touring schedule in 2011, and Tyondai's own commitments as a solo artist and his desire not to tour, both Battles and Tyondai have decided to move on without each other.

It is a sad but amicable split.

Battles wishes Tyondai all the best"

http://warp.net/records/battles/an-announcement-from-battles

I hope they continue without Tyondai.

"At this time, Battles and I have decided to amicably part ways. Suffice to say I am leaving a group that is responsible for some of the most defining experiences in my life.

Aside from making great music for 8 years together John, Ian, Dave and I have been family. We have experienced together what it’s like to start a band and have it blossom into something beyond our wildest dreams and I'm incredibly proud of all we have accomplished.

I know for a fact that this is just a new beginning for Battles. Our model has always had a controlled shapelessness to it and I know John, Ian and Dave are looking forward sculpting an even better way forward.

I look forward to be able to continue my music and am very excited at the prospect of being able to dig deeper in my own work.

To the fans let me say that I cannot begin to express my thanks and love to you all for your support and enthusiasm. All that Battles and I can do to honor that is continue to create art that we love with a passion and depth worthy of your inspection."

Tyondai Braxton

Couldn't give a shit, the song they had was very annoying.

:cisfor:

The vocals were mostly to blame. It just made them sound unprofessional.

I would like them more if they were instrumental or had a singer who knew what he was doing.

They were basically a kick ass drummer with a few other schmucks.

Helmet was better.

All seems a bit harsh on Braxton. Although I think Battles make a better instrumental band, his vocals made sure that they didn't just repeat their first three releases. I can't see how Atlas would have worked without the chipmunk bits myself. I liked his solo album on Warp, looking forward to what else they all do now. The other three should definitely continue as Battles.

I like his input to the band, and I like Central Market. the chipmunk vocals were tiring sometimes though.

just now on facebook:

"Battles We are finishing the new album. Battles is moving forward in full force! Psyched about getting out of the studio and playing these new songs live. Lots of shows and tours to come."

also lol at their facebook profile pic

39229_435694169440_20029064440_4504237_4174069_n.jpg

Helmet was better.

nice

I like his input to the band, and I like Central Market. the chipmunk vocals were tiring sometimes though.

just now on facebook:

"Battles We are finishing the new album. Battles is moving forward in full force! Psyched about getting out of the studio and playing these new songs live. Lots of shows and tours to come."

also lol at their facebook profile pic

haha. well they have to really kill it and not try to be don cab 2. needs freshness.

I quite liked the input braxton had, although I could live without it. It's the whole math rock sound I was into, so I won't really miss all the vocal stuff. As long as John Stanier continues to play drums I will always listen, regardless.

LOL.

Tyondai's album was horrible, who gives a fuck what he does.

Yeah, I wasn't too interested in what I heard of it. I realize he probably had significant contributions to Battles' songwriting, but I think they'll be fine. I could listen to just Stanier and some guy with a Casio if it came down to it...

when i decided to give the new warp roster a chance... battles were one of those i didn't like. and that dude's solo stuff too... i passed on that shit!

I'm with most of you, found his vocals annoying. I have no idea what his musical or songwriting contributions to the band were, but I'm sure the guys will do fine without him.

I wonder how close the new album is to being finished and if it will include contributions (vocally or otherwise) from Toyotahyundai, or if they will rework material to leave him out...or what. I'd prefer really they just wrap it up as-is, release it, then just start working on their "new direction".

Guest dilbthelame

i actually really enjoyed his presence in the band - saw them twice (including once with him supporting solo) and he's in no way *just a vocalist*. they were fucking brilliant both times. quite sad but it'll be interesting to hear the new album....

it is sad that he leaves. i see a very bright future for braxton. battles could also do well. i've enjoyed most everything i've heard from all these guys

including don cab and storm and stress.

braxtons solo album showed signs of brilliance.

i saw them twice (?) before they came out with the EPs, and tyondai had much less of a presence. it was just really great math rocky work by ian and powerhouse drums by stanier. i was really disappointed with them by the time mirrored came out for that reason. and yet i liked history that has no effect.

i think both parties' musical outputs will be a lot better as a result of this decision

After listening to TyHundai Buxton's solo album, Central Market, I can pretty much guess his influence on the band and I think that he's talented and very unique. But he's also has a sense of severe awkwardness in his music and I think I'd wager that whatever his input in Battles was, it really clashed with everyone else. Interesting, yeah, but just a bad flavor if you know what I mean.

Everything I like about Battles has nothing to do with the goofy parts/chipmunk vocals that seem to relate to his solo album.

Archived