IGNORED

New Aphex Twin interview

Herr Jan

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest HokusPoker

Why can't I edit my post?

"Brain floss" is a brilliant term. It's what I use Drum'n'Bass or "Songs About My Cats" for. Musical clean-up.

"Education should not be about remembering facts someone else thinks important but how to think and how to be encouraged to do whatever we want - as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else."

I would love to replace the Texas State Board of Education with Richard based on this single statement. If making music gets dull for him, he ought to run for some sort of elected office. We need more people with this mindset making decisions.

Guest cult fiction

He mentioned 4 completed albums plus the one he's working on now. What's the sixth? :braindance::spiteful:

2 field recordings, Melodies from Mars, one he "can't talk about", one collection of old tunes, and the one he's working on now...

"Education should not be about remembering facts someone else thinks important but how to think and how to be encouraged to do whatever we want - as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else."

I would love to replace the Texas State Board of Education with Richard based on this single statement. If making music gets dull for him, he ought to run for some sort of elected office. We need more people with this mindset making decisions.

with the new laws in the uk he might be able to set up his own school, im sure he has the money! :emotawesomepm9::sorcerer:

He mentioned 4 completed albums plus the one he's working on now. What's the sixth? :braindance::spiteful:

2 field recordings, Melodies from Mars, one he "can't talk about", one collection of old tunes, and the one he's working on now...

steinvord should be out this year on rephlex

That was a very interesting interview to read, despite the lame questions from the interviewer. It would have been nicer if the interviewer followed up on some of those wide-ranging thoughts Richard had about mob-mentality, educational theory and Schopenhauerian cosmic will. Oh well. Perhaps someone with a sustained attention span will come along and actually have a conversation with him.

Cheers for sharing.

Pure speculation but I imagine not being able to 'go into' the details of album could mean it's release is imminent?

Also, another clue; the whole doesn't benefit if they can't share in your creations, surely Richard?

Thought the 'fuckstick' comment was funny, wonder if he's a fan of Shawshank then?

Guest texan whip

he talks about walking under ladders..i wonder if he opens umbrellas indoors and deliberately goes about walking in dog shit as well?

Guest HokusPoker

That was a very interesting interview to read, despite the lame questions from the interviewer. It would have been nicer if the interviewer followed up on some of those wide-ranging thoughts Richard had about mob-mentality, educational theory and Schopenhauerian cosmic will. Oh well. Perhaps someone with a sustained attention span will come along and actually have a conversation with him.

I don't think there was anything to "follow up" on; it seems to me like an email interview.

Richard gets the questions and sends his answers back.

Guest Masonic Boom

There's a lot more depth than I was expecting from the descriptions of the interview!

Really happy that he mentioned Spike Jones - Spike Jones is amazing. My uncle used to play him all the time, and gave us kids "Dinner Music For People Who Aren't Very Hungry: Spike Jones Demonstrates Your Hi Fi" which I played until I pretty much wore a hole in the vinyl. That record really makes you think a lot about the definitions of what is or isn't music, and the way that non-musical sounds can still have amazing sonic or emotive or even melodic impact. That makes so much sense, that he'd have been exposed to that stuff.

Also, the bit about responding to being called "weird" - "Can you feel weird if you're doing what you want to? I don't think so. Weird is when people aren't doing what they are meant to do, or aren't doing anything creative or caring."

Just <3 <3 <3 so much on so many levels, that's such a perceptive thing to say. (Really wish I could send that interview back in time to mine own teenage self.) Because that's how people get twisted and made weird, by denying essential parts of themselves. I love how so much of his message is all "to thine own self be true" which is just really really inspiring.

really enjoyed this interview, very inspiring, i really liked the answer to "are there any songs you wish you wrote" his response is so true.

also while reading it, the scene in twin peaks where bobby is talking to his dad and he tells him about his dream popped into my head (of course that scene would have a aphex track on top;)

-What song do you want played at your funeral ?

-Is that a threat ? I'll DJ at your funeral for free, if someone reminds me when you are daed.

I don't think there was anything to "follow up" on; it seems to me like an email interview.

Richard gets the questions and sends his answers back.

Right. I thought of that. By "follow up" I meant "sent another email back with follow up questions before you publish the interview article".

-What song do you want played at your funeral ?

-Is that a threat ? I'll DJ at your funeral for free, if someone reminds me when you are daed.

Nice chance to get free AFX gig.

Archived