IGNORED

New Aphex Twin interview

Herr Jan

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He mentioned 4 completed albums plus the one he's working on now. What's the sixth? :braindance::spiteful:

2 field recordings, Melodies from Mars, one he "can't talk about", one collection of old tunes, and the one he's working on now...

This the one joyrex has?

Guest HokusPoker

He mentioned 4 completed albums plus the one he's working on now. What's the sixth? :braindance::spiteful:

2 field recordings, Melodies from Mars, one he "can't talk about", one collection of old tunes, and the one he's working on now...

This the one joyrex has?

No, that's gonorrhoea.

actually, i do believe he's got 6 finished albums

why not? (really)

Depends on what his definition of 'finished' is - I'm sure he could cull together 12 or 13 albums' worth of material from his extensive archives - doesn't mean they would be worth releasing.

I doubt he has 6 albums 'ready to go' (i.e.: mastered, artwork, etc.), otherwise, he would have released them by now. Out of everything said in that interview, that was the one thing he threw in for his 'fans' as a pisstake to them and to get them wound up.

Overall though, it was a good interview and it seems the point he's at in his life plus having children have made him more introspective. It will be interesting to see how his music has changed over the long hiatus since DrukQs. Analord doesn't really count in my book, since it has a specific 'theme' to it and wasn't about making new groundbreaking music, but more working within a specific set of parameters.

I find the 6 album thing pretty believable, from what he said he has. He's just really self conscious about what he's gonna release under the Aphex name. He's got to step back and examine what's worthy. And if he hasn't released his new amazing live tracks yet, why would he release something like the field recordings/modular synthesis stuff he mentioned? (Which was probably inspired by this http://www.discogs.com/Bernard-Bonnier-Casse-t%C3%AAte/master/67299 since he mentioned it in a Clash Magazine interview in '06)

that's a strange word. Now of course i'm no stranger to odd language mangling, but i was still left wondering what beasht meant. Care to help me out my man.

god, the comments (when there's a lot of them) are annoying on soundcloud. Was perusing your siG file and wanted to skip through quickly.

All of the critical thinking and inference his music has inspired us to do would organically lead you to every response in this interview. I felt like I was reading the words of someone I've known all along but had to stay "fanboy" silly about it until now.

He revealed an interesting dichotomy that is like "every thing is one and united" v. "do everything the opposite of what you know and other people do". That's 20 years of Aphex Twin in one whack

Obviously, his music is a brilliant "unity" using all the threads that are useful: Brian Eno, Detroit, rave ethic--all of the usual suspects that we've hashed out a million times.

At the same time, he chose "opposite" on crucial things that mattered e.g. timbres and effects never put together, rhythm innovation using machine and samples, throwing "opposites" in the same breath--a harsh mechanical pulse beneath the nearly-Enya piano and synth of "On", marrying Top Of The Pops with the most esoteric of academic approaches to electronics, + on

He reminds me so much of high-function autistics because his own intelligence and creativity seems to undercut what he really wants to create or communicate. He references this idea himself: "I'm afraid of getting overwhelmed by all these musical ideas", "when I can't make music, things get destructive, I'm afraid of my own mind".

It's overplayed but he is one of the true eccentric geniuses that propel human accomplishment. But he can never really get it and no one can tell it to him because that's the nature of leaders like that. His music and art is like a thrashing desire to resolve internal storms. It's a damn good thing he let us in on it.

"our society encourages us to compete with each other; it's terrible and very hard to break free from.

we could all win and be much happier as a result… need to get rid of this money stuff first though"

Guest Scrambled Ears

need to get rid of this money stuff first though

i guess thats why you spend 400k on a piano

if he really wants to get rid of money he should stop being such a scarce resource and make cheesey techno like the rest of them

lol imagine if he released all six albums at the same time. about 80 quids worth of music but probably worth it.

fuck i really don't want a another double album like drukqs. really expensive, i know i'd have to buy it this time though. i regret not buying drukqs on vinyl it's so expensive now. just release one frickin awesome album i say

Guest Pennywise

lol imagine if he released all six albums at the same time. about 80 quids worth of music but probably worth it.

fuck i really don't want a another double album like drukqs

DUDE think about what you just said!

Why can't I edit my post?

"Brain floss" is a brilliant term. It's what I use Drum'n'Bass or "Songs About My Cats" for. Musical clean-up.

New genre.

"Education should not be about remembering facts someone else thinks important but how to think and how to be encouraged to do whatever we want - as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else."

I would love to replace the Texas State Board of Education with Richard based on this single statement. If making music gets dull for him, he ought to run for some sort of elected office. We need more people with this mindset making decisions.

++ great quote!

need to get rid of this money stuff first though

i guess thats why you spend 400k on a piano

if he really wants to get rid of money he should stop being such a scarce resource and make cheesey techno like the rest of them

One album every 6 months for 3 years! :emotawesomepm9:

fuck i really don't want a another double album like drukqs

DUDE think about what you just said!

lol, yeah

it would be great no doubt.... it would also be expensive but i can handle it, fuck it, bring it on aphex

Man walks in to news agents, can't find the magazine, he asks the guy at the desk if they stock another man magazine, guy replies 'sorry we don't sell gay magazines'

heh good choice

Archived