IGNORED

Game of Thrones

data

Guest Mirezzi

I'm definitely enjoying S2 and admittedly, my boner for Emilia Clarke is now eternal.

The recently mentioned scene from S1 that I found nauseating is sort of extinct in S2; they've shored up performances across the board with few exceptions. I struggle with John Snow...like, I wouldn't mind if he was dead...but that's less to do with performance and more to do with him being such a failed badass. He's really a bit of a pussy and it gets on my nerves sometimes.

When Joffrey called his henchman a dog, I thought it was planting a seed that the dog is gonna be Joffrey's undoing. Let's hope.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest boo

weird. when i saw emilia clarke i thought she was probably in Doctors (which i haven't watched) before this. turns out she has actually been in one episode (out of like 3 things she's done)... Season 11, Episode 89. maybe that's the episode of Doctors that i've seen.

edit: wahtever

Bumped thread to say i'm in love with this new character ..

rose-leslie-as-ygritte.jpg

Also, i hope Theon realizes that his actions will end with his head on a stick.

Guest zaphod

despite this show being pretty fucking abysmal on the whole, i can't stop watching it. it's about on par with battlestar galactica in terms of uneven acting, story, dialogue and characters while still being extremely entertaining. and sometimes people are introduced with all this gravity and i have no idea who the fuck they are or why i should care. not sure why everyone is acting like it's the greatest thing on television, but it's addictive.

c'mon, apart from the pilot and a handful of other episodes, battlestar doesn't even get close to measuring up to GoT (disclaimer: haven't seen any of Season 2 yet). Battlestar made me want to vomit, they just plucked hot button issues from current popular culture like Law and Order or something. Oooh...cloning. Oooh...stem cell research. The ethical dilemmas were forced, the politics tedious, the neo-Christian allegorical stuff laughable...First season of GoT was badass, you had unexpected plot twists, unexpected deaths of major characters, incest, tasty double crossing and treachery, immeasurably better writing, and most importantly - a coherent overall story arc.

your opinion of my opinion is shit

entirely

but seriously, i don't see how the dialogue is good (or particularly better than on BSG). not that it has to be good for it to be enjoyable.

edit: dialogue y0

Guest RadarJammer

Its better than Hercules:The Legendary Journeys & Xena Warrior Princiess combined, maybe even better than those plus BeastMaster too. TV hasn't given us much medieval fantasy shows of any quality to compare this with so on those grounds I'd say this is like a faberge egg.

Guest zaphod

c'mon, apart from the pilot and a handful of other episodes, battlestar doesn't even get close to measuring up to GoT (disclaimer: haven't seen any of Season 2 yet). Battlestar made me want to vomit, they just plucked hot button issues from current popular culture like Law and Order or something. Oooh...cloning. Oooh...stem cell research. The ethical dilemmas were forced, the politics tedious, the neo-Christian allegorical stuff laughable...First season of GoT was badass, you had unexpected plot twists, unexpected deaths of major characters, incest, tasty double crossing and treachery, immeasurably better writing, and most importantly - a coherent overall story arc.

i thought battlestar was quite shit, with the exception of one or two episodes in the first and third seasons. there are a couple eps of that show that rank among the best i've seen on tv. i think game of thrones is almost completely shit. and the plot twists aren't very organic, it's pretty clear that martin enjoys killing off characters to upset an audience, not really to serve any cohesive story. basically, i think both shows are pretty bad, but entertaining. i stuck with bsg and it got worse and worse, and i have a feeling game of thrones will do the same, just with really tedious psychological motives rather than the theological shit bsg tried to get into. so bsg wins, slightly, in the end, because it was actually about something greater than satisfying the audience's need for intrigue, tits and blood. all of which are fine, but i need something a little original or human or engaging thrown into that mix. thrones lacks that. and i noticed my depression last week fed directly into me wanting to watch this...it's the lowest possible form of entertainment. it is what it is.

also, weren't you saying that particular unexpected death in thrones bothered you, somewhere earlier in this thread? hmm

the actual lowest form of entertainment is ghetto rap...........

it's big business, it's big business ya'll........

I'm all bout it bout it....

THEON AND JOFFREY SHALL SUFFER!

got-joffrey.jpg

4f8328f0bb41f.image.jpg

burning-man-port-de-bras.jpg

also, weren't you saying that particular unexpected death in thrones bothered you, somewhere earlier in this thread? hmm

haha, quite possibly. I really need to see Season 2 before I open my yapper

despite this show being pretty fucking abysmal on the whole, i can't stop watching it. it's about on par with battlestar galactica in terms of uneven acting, story, dialogue and characters while still being extremely entertaining. and sometimes people are introduced with all this gravity and i have no idea who the fuck they are or why i should care. not sure why everyone is acting like it's the greatest thing on television, but it's addictive.

i appreciate you are probably older, wiser, more into your films/tv than me, but i really kind of pity your relentless cynicism, ive rarely on this forum actually seen you enjoy anything. this program is pretty much a beast as far as im concerned. maybe im just dim.

Guest cult fiction
i think game of thrones is almost completely shit. and the plot twists aren't very organic, it's pretty clear that martin enjoys killing off characters to upset an audience, not really to serve any cohesive story.

I believe he kills characters because the harsh world they reside in and logic demand it. I love that whole storylines get spun up and seem like they're going to be epic and then - woosh - somebody makes a mistake or is in the wrong place at the wrong time and they're gone. It gives it an air of credibility and danger.

There are wonderfully few instances of deus ex machina in this series, it's one of my favorite parts.

The Ned Stark execution was a great example - there is a brief moment where in just about any other series(BSG included) Arya would have used her 'needle' to perform a daring and ridiculous rescue of her father. Not in Game of Thrones.

Guest zaphod

from the standpoint of a writer it kind of wreaks of audience manipulation. maybe it makes "sense" in the story but i found it sort of obvious, like martin is trying to show us how bad the world is and how good people don't get rewarded for their actions. it just felt like he had contrived it in an effort to be subversive. and then that death is really the only thing the series had going for it, which is not good. if he had been saved would the whole series be regarded the way it is? what does that say about everything else in it. also, to reply to messaien, maybe you don't read all of my posts, i really don't blame you because i'm spewing a lot of shit, but i tagged every one of them with the fact that i'm thoroughly entertained by the show, despite its lack of any real artistic quality. if i didn't like it on some level i wouldn't have watched every episode, so i'm happy to admit that the show works as entertainment. it just isn't a great example of genre writing.

Guest cult fiction

it just felt like he had contrived it in an effort to be subversive. and then that death is really the only thing the series had going for it, which is not good. if he had been saved would the whole series be regarded the way it is?

I think the fact that a lot of people were quite shocked/angry/sad that Ned Stark died shows that it wasn't the only thing the series had going for it. I imagine your average person watching the show would probably have enjoyed it more if he hadn't died.

I don't think the series about the world being bad and punishing people - to me the world is chaotic neutral, much like our own(only a lot more chaotic). It's also grounded in the bloody history of Europe - check out this guy's story: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hywel_ap_Ieuaf, this sort of stuff was happening all the time.

I believe GoT is pretty much inspired by the War of the Roses.

It definitely is. I remember George Martin saying as much in an interview, I think.

I am not trying to give any sort of literary credence to these books/story, but when reading them, I never felt like the deaths imposed on the story arc were a gimmick or meant to simply shock. They all tie in to the story pretty well, though I am not sure if that will be completely envisioned in the show, where I think non neckbearded fantasy nerds could become fatigued with all of the different names/location changes.

also:

I am curious to see how they handle Theons story. It gets pretty...well, weird. Yeah whatever. we will see.

not sure if the spoiler was required, but some people get butthurt :P

I think I might be getting butthurt over your use of the word butthurt. It makes me feel like getting butthurt. :-/

Also, what I like about GoT wrt to other series generally on TV is the build-up to actions of people in the story. There's always a build-up to actions of important characters in the story without being predictable, but always providing a good explanation in hindsight. Was it Theon who chopped off the head of the awkward beard dude? (not too familiar with all the names, and haven't read the books) It was uncertain until he actually did it. It could go either way. But in hindsight, given his current position in his fathers army he just had to. And the build-up to his action - his father, sister and even his subordinates mocking him - provide plausible grounds without it being to obvious. I mean, you still get a sense he could rebel against his own family. So in that sense I think the story is very well written.

holy shit were those bodies the kids?

Don't think so, I think he just took the two kids that Brann mentioned when they came to that house. Theon needs to keep up appearances.

Archived