IGNORED

Metal Appreciation Thread!

Guest Al5x

3/4's of Vektor have quit the band

Yeah, only the singer remains. Not sure of the circumstances but wow. 

Yeah, read that the other day... WTF happened between them?

Got a lot of metal listening in at work today, it was painfully slow... Here's some new ones I listened to:

Ekpyrosis - Asphyxiating Devotion ... Full length debut from this Italian death metal group... pretty good shit!

Soothsayer - At This Great Depth... Atmospheric Doom/Death from Ireland,

Alluvial - The Deep Longing For Annihilation ... Wes Hauch (Black Crown Initiate/ex-The Faceless) and some other dude have a new atmospheric death metal band, but no vocalist, it's all instrumental but it's pretty damn good. Apparently they are seeking a vocalist and are actively taking auditions.

Black Prism - S/T ... Psychedlic doom, tons of Sabbath Worship, it is Riding Easy records afterall...

Sorry for the self-promotion, but I have an album coming out in a day or two which is basically the result of me listening almost exclusively to prog metal for the past year.. bits of inspiration from Periphery, Scar Symmetry, Metallica, Devin Townsend and of course Genesis..

and oh yeah it's my first real 'serious' attempt at including my own vocals on a Pselodux album..

Sorry for the self-promotion, but I have an album coming out in a day or two which is basically the result of me listening almost exclusively to prog metal for the past year.. bits of inspiration from Periphery, Scar Symmetry, Metallica, Devin Townsend and of course Genesis..

and oh yeah it's my first real 'serious' attempt at including my own vocals on a Pselodux album..

Sounds ambitious. [shil] Where will it be available? [/shill], and just out of curiosity will there be any clean singing? 

I'll post a link when it goes online; it's being handled by a weblabel, so it's a bit different to my usual way of rushing to release (I've been sitting on it for about a month now! hnnnng).

As for the vocals, it's mostly metal screams/growls, but with melodic vocals handled by vocoder, and only half of the tracks actually have vocals. My clean vocals aren't at the level of competency that I can include them on a serious release and not cringe whenever I hear them!

Also the lyrics kinda suck, so the vocals are mixed somewhat low intentionally; however, I'm very happy with the instrumentation and think it's some of my best composition/playing/mixing :D

Edited by modey

Musically how much of this are you responsible for? 

I would be terrified of doing cleans for music that sounds that grandiose in scale. Anyways, from what little I've heard it sounds very good, and I love the contrast between the parts in the preview as well. It also seems to have the synths playing a prominent position, which is a rare and welcome change from everything being drowned out by guitars, drums and vocals. Hope it's well-received man. Congrats on the new album. 

Musically how much of this are you responsible for? 

I would be terrified of doing cleans for music that sounds that grandiose in scale. Anyways, from what little I've heard it sounds very good, and I love the contrast between the parts in the preview as well. It also seems to have the synths playing a prominent position, which is a rare and welcome change from everything being drowned out by guitars, drums and vocals. Hope it's well-received man. Congrats on the new album. 

Thanks! I wrote and played/programmed 99% of it—the rhythm guitars are mostly live with some sampled guitar lower in the mix for a nice industrial feel, and most of the leads and synth chords (and all of the drums!) were programmed in Renoise. One of my friends from a duo I play in provided keys on one track, and amazing prog chiptune artist Tuberz McGee provided a total facemelt guitar solo on another. 

And yeah, I wanted this to be super spacey, but still pretty intense.. hopefully I've found a good balance between synth and guitar, mix-wise.

thread in dire need for more christian tech-thrash? say no more: believer, so fancy they'll make you one!

sounds like videogame music to me (not a bad thing!!)... maybe tad toooo ghey for my me (atm) but u obvs gots lots of talent! kudos1

thread in dire need for more christian tech-thrash? say no more: believer, so fancy they'll make you one!

Alright, mega kudos for derailing into Lutheran techno thrash!

Might as well drop some Extol too, then. Obvious Believer influences are obvious. A bit of a bumpy ride with quite a few unnecessarily cheesy parts here and there, but the good parts are fantastic! Thrash riffing doesn't get more alienating or techy than this.

Might as well drop some Extol too, then. Obvious Believer influences are obvious. A bit of a bumpy ride with quite a few unnecessarily cheesy parts here and there, but the good parts are fantastic! Thrash riffing doesn't get more alienating or techy than this.

yeah huh this isn't half bad, weird, i know a roommate of mine used to be into them big time but somehow i filed it under "japanese metal core" haha... fellow norsk i see :O. those guitars be insane yo, singing kinda mixed bag...

well anyway

Alright, mega kudos for derailing into Lutheran techno thrash!

u mean we right back on track bruh! tech thrash = best thrash!

sounds like videogame music to me (not a bad thing!!)... maybe tad toooo ghey for my me (atm) but u obvs gots lots of talent! kudos1

oops, i guess that was inconsiderate, sincere apologies to fellow homo metalheads! it's not even negatively connotated term in my head, more like synonym to "cheese", which obviously can be totally awesome depending on mood (hence the "atm")... i mean dang i just wanked all over the dead can dance appreciation thread, doesn't get more gh emo than that right?

lol well the videogame/cheese thing carries over from my usual pselodux style, which is inspired by amiga demoscene music (and tony banks, of course), and also which I'm not gonna make excuses for because I fkn love that style :D

Edited by modey

new Mastodon album coming March 31st

hopefully a return to form after the last two releases which haven't stood up as well as anything they released before. the main riff on the new song is almost identical to 'Morningstar' by Baroness tho wtf

Newest from The Great Old Ones is pretty damn good...

Season of Mist also sent me an album from these guys... their lyrics are all in German but it's good stuff.

new Mastodon album coming March 31st

... the main riff on the new song is almost identical to 'Morningstar' by Baroness tho wtf

I thought that was familiar.