IGNORED

Metal Appreciation Thread!

Guest Al5x

OK, this one is really special to me:

once upon a time, a dark time in hindsight, when i turned into my 20s, i ... apostazied from the metal. yes, i felt i had outgrown its goofy antics, reading adorno n shit was much cooler... needless to say i had become a complete dickhead!

then after approximately 5 years of deaf-, dumb- and blindness and several desperate tries a close friend finally managed to drag me back into the light of badass rock n roll musics and it was all thanks to one track from this beautiful, beautiful canadian prog-metal outfit called *drum roll*

SACRED BLADE

unfortunately that very über-hit he showed me ("IC eyes") is nowhere to be found on the tubes, it only made it on a couple of demos, which i hereby urge you to track down (not hard)...

anyway, the sole album they released (under that monicker) doesn't fall behind much either:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egkuTgtMH1o

one fav-fav:

i totally adore the powerful yet unagitated vocals, very unique. in that regard to me they feel like the spiritual successors of the style praying mantis established on "captured city", which i linked earlier in this very thread.

in 2004 they changed their name to othyrworld and rerecorded the debut with some tracks from demos thrown in for good measure. that version naturally has a somewhat "better" (not clinical tho!) sound and is worth checking out for the additional tracks alone!

unfortunately their mastermind jeff "the pilot" ulmer passed away due to a stroke in 2013... RIP brother and thank you for getting me back on track, this time for good! *pumps fist*

jeff-ulmer-sacred-blade.jpg

...some cherries on the cake: rather early live vids. material not quite as proggy yet, still worthwhile (if for rarity alone) documents:

Been on the cosmic vibe, spending some time with the latest Oranssi Pazuzu and Inquisition this week... 

also really looking forward to the upcoming release from The Great Old Ones, got it pre-ordered.

^^^ that new oranssi pazuzu album is fantastic, played the shit out of it this year, still do

one more bump for that new Furia album Ksiezyc milczy luty cause it's so fuckin great!!!

really something else, awesome tracks and i just love the vocalist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBxF-l0Sk68

also hype as fukk for the new cultes des ghoules album, unholy shit every track is like 20minutes long :D

Dunno exactly what genre this is but some kind of doomy post-metal. At any rate it's a fucking massively amazing French band, super consistent discography. 

Dunno exactly what genre this is but some kind of doomy post-metal. At any rate it's a fucking massively amazing French band, super consistent discography. 

Yeah, had a listen to them earlier this year and really dug it. Must listen more.

This album rules.

Fuckin oath AOTY for me metal wise.

this is good, not sure I'm a fan of the vocal style against this specific sound though.

This album rules.

Fuckin oath AOTY for me metal wise.

this is good, not sure I'm a fan of the vocal style against this specific sound though.

Listen to this album and savor it like a fine Islay Scotch on a bearskin rug in front of a roaring hearth. 

Been on the cosmic vibe, spending some time with the latest Oranssi Pazuzu and Inquisition this week... 

like this a lot, anything else similar?

if you like that, give that new furia album a try   :shuriken: 

• 2 weeks later...

Just listened to Fenriz's last podcast like two hours ago (mind you, his selections are almost my only gateway into new metal for the last 6 years, and for good reason) and stumbled upon this track and haven't heard the rest of the podcast because I just played this track over and over again, it's absolutely perfect. Holy shit.

Just listened to Fenriz's last podcast like two hours ago (mind you, his selections are almost my only gateway into new metal for the last 6 years, and for good reason) and stumbled upon this track and haven't heard the rest of the podcast because I just played this track over and over again, it's absolutely perfect. Holy shit.

this is great

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from Entombed A.D. a little while ago. It got people jumping. I also got to meet LG Petrov because he's talkative right after they're done playing. It's always cool when cool music people are indeed cool.