I am so stupidly excited for this film now, the wait is killing me... the release date is the 20th of june over here. ngghhhh.

Guest Gary C

http://www.denofgeek...r_analysis.html

Pretty good analysis of the latest trailer, but I really wouldn't recommend you click it unless you're okay with possible spoilers. I kind of wish I hadn't as it raised some themes I hadn't even considered and don't really want to discuss here, in case it ruins the experience for anyone. It's in the spoiler.

Essentially, it's the talk about Fassbender being an android. I might have known that before, but it never properly sank in. And that maybe he wants to use the alien technology to become human... But then, the biggest idea for me, was how the veiny figure on Earth at the beginning of the trailer could in fact occur at the end of the film, but at the beginning of human existence (according to the "leaked" synopsis which involved an element of time-travel).

Edited by Gary C

Guest Gary C

I am so stupidly excited for this film now, the wait is killing me... the release date is the 20th of june over here. ngghhhh.

With very little effort this has overtaken The Dark Knight Rises as my movie event of the summer.

http://www.denofgeek...r_analysis.html

Pretty good analysis of the latest trailer, but I really wouldn't recommend you click it unless you're okay with possible spoilers. I kind of wish I hadn't as it raised some themes I hadn't even considered and don't really want to discuss here, in case it ruins the experience for anyone. It's in the spoiler.

Essentially, it's the talk about Fassbender being an android. I might have known that before, but it never properly sank in. And that maybe he wants to use the alien technology to become human... But then, the biggest idea for me, was how the veiny figure on Earth at the beginning of the trailer could in fact occur at the end of the film, but at the beginning of human existence (according to the "leaked" synopsis which involved an element of time-travel).

I believe the leaked synopsis is considered to be fake.

my take on this:

in the first alien movie, the nostromo was unexpectedly rerouted to the planet where they encountered the er alien. i reckon this is gonna retcon it so the weyland-yutani corporation were well aware of the planet previously due to a disastrous previous mission. this movie will be the story of that mission.

According to the timeline on the Weyland industries site, there has not been a merger between Weyland-Yutani. The Prometheus mission is strictly a Weyland enterprise. I hope this movie doesn't explain the the derelict ship on LV-426 and this movie is about a whole other space jockey ship. However, what transpires in this movie is probably why the Company is on the look out for more of these places, thus having Ash on a mining ship in case they find something.

Edited by azatoth

Guest Gary C

I know its a daft complaint but the space jocky's look abit short and skinny.

Which creature are you calling the space jockey? The one in the cannon-thing looks pretty much the same to me. It's 'nose' looks a bit more elephant-like, though. With a hundred-plus years of degradation in that chair it might have grown in size between Prometheus and Alien. And it's actually a part of the cannon in Alien (they're the same object) so I guess it would have combined/mutated with it or something.

If you're on about the creature that's fighting crew members in what looks like a holding bay then I wouldn't assume it's a space jockey just yet.

Guest Abstract Daddy

I know its a daft complaint but the space jocky's look abit short and skinny.

Which creature are you calling the space jockey? The one in the cannon-thing looks pretty much the same to me. It's 'nose' looks a bit more elephant-like, though. With a hundred-plus years of degradation in that chair it might have grown in size between Prometheus and Alien. And it's actually a part of the cannon in Alien (they're the same object) so I guess it would have combined/mutated with it or something.

If you're on about the creature that's fighting crew members in what looks like a holding bay then I wouldn't assume it's a space jockey just yet.

Yeah the cannon elephant thing, i'm sure I saw two standing in the background somewhere I just really wanted them to look like this -

space_jockey_ii_by_bloommer-d32jg3r.jpeg

not very practical though now I think about it.

Edited by Abstract Daddy

Guest Gary C

Lame rating. Source?

During his March 17, 2012, WonderCon presentations, Scott stated that some of the questions presented in the film are left unanswered and could be answered in a sequel, saying "If we're lucky, there'll be a second part. It does leave you with some nice open questions."[64][14]When asked if a sequel would move closer to being a prequel to the events of Alien, Lindelof said "if we’re fortunate enough to do a sequel toPrometheus, it will tangentialize even further away from the original Alien."

Still a probable two-parter, though.

ooh, that interview had one detail in it that activated wang (I know, the trailers have plenty of cg shots, but still):

5. There will be no green screens.

One thing that is becoming quite clear the more we talk about “Prometheus” is that few expenses are being spared. What Ridley wants Ridley gets. “One of the things that was really important to him in terms of the constructions of the sets,” says Lindelof,” is that if you're building a ship, he just built the ship.” It’s important to Scott for the actors to see exactly what their characters are experiencing. "I was working for three weeks and I was like, 'Where's the green screen, man?'” says Theron. “And Ridley was like, 'I'm not doing green screen. What are you talking about?' In my head, I was like, 'Oh, we're going to be in front of green screens.' Everything was built and if it wasn't built and you were looking out a window ship, he would have computerized this CG imaging that would play out the scene of what was happening outside. It just kind of grounds everything so much for actors. It's all there and it's all physically being lit.”

I dont think there will b any tradtional xenomorphs as such in this film and the connection to the first alien will only be a similar ship under different circumstances but will give more an insight into the space jockey origins.

Perhaps the craft in the first Alien tried to do what the Promethius one does but fails because of how much nastier the xeno aliens are.

How this will tie into AvP timeline is anyones guess but if they're smart they should continue with the Yutani story and stolen alien technology helping humans go into space plus syart making a decent film of the franchise.

When i was younger i always wanted the Space Jocky to turn out to be a cocooned Predator of some sort but alas

Guest couch

the only thing that can really kill this movie now is the PG-13 rating, lets hope scott can cleverly work around that

This is my only fear. I am sure he said in the Q&A session that the movie has scenes on par with the chestbuster scene, So how it gets such a low rating is a bit odd... Either way the official directors cut will be one to look forward to.

Yeah, from the Q&A, I envisaged a couple of gory scenes. If Ridley thought he might be "embarassed" by them, then I'd say it'll be more gory than Alien. Maybe not as shocking, but probably more gory.

Also, the whole "cut it off" line from the trailer is truly chilling and I imagine some sort of alien life-form evolving on/in a human, rather than bursting out of a body freely.

Praying for proper adult-material.

Wouldn't it take a bit more to earn an R rating these days than in the late 70s? We're desensitized to this stuff now.

I dont think there will b any tradtional xenomorphs as such in this film and the connection to the first alien will only be a similar ship under different circumstances but will give more an insight into the space jockey origins.

Perhaps the craft in the first Alien tried to do what the Promethius one does but fails because of how much nastier the xeno aliens are.

How this will tie into AvP timeline is anyones guess but if they're smart they should continue with the Yutani story and stolen alien technology helping humans go into space plus syart making a decent film of the franchise.

When i was younger i always wanted the Space Jocky to turn out to be a cocooned Predator of some sort but alas

I don't think Ridley gives a shit about keeping continuity with AvP. As far as I am concerned, I don't consider them canon at all, they fucked up the continuity by themselves already.

I saw some footage of Ridley being asked about AvP, he just laughed, and laughed again and laughed some more. And then said in sarcastic voice something about having a good deal with Fox and he wouldn't want to jepodise that.

jeopardize

edit: sorry, rude.

Edited by Gocab