only showing 3D presentations of films is a dodgy practice purely done to reap as much revenue from ticket sales as possible

And of course to try and regain some of the expenses of having the 3D equipment installed in the first place

That's a pretty naive perspective on it, I think. No-one held a gun to their head and forced them to install 3D projection equipment. Lets face it - 3D is a big money spinner at the moment, and that's undeniable.

only showing 3D presentations of films is a dodgy practice purely done to reap as much revenue from ticket sales as possible

And of course to try and regain some of the expenses of having the 3D equipment installed in the first place

That's a pretty naive perspective on it, I think. No-one held a gun to their head and forced them to install 3D projection equipment. Lets face it - 3D is a big money spinner at the moment, and that's undeniable.

I'm pretty sure that if it's a reasonably well patronised cinema, a cinema recoups the cost of installing 3D equipment pretty quickly, after that it's all profits for everyone involved. Arguements such as that are used by cinemas to justify the very overpriced ticket costs of 3D.

For the record thgouh, I'm getting thoroughly pissed off at cinemas putting 2D presentations of movies on the backburner to promote the more lucrative 3D showings. I know it's in their best interests economically, but it would be nice of cinema chains to recognise that if the option is there, not all audience members want to see a film in 3D. The cineworld in Edinburgh is really bad for doing this; they show the 2D version of a movie once a day in the middle of the afternoon when most people might not be able to make it along, but have multiple showings a day of the 3D version.

Yeah, but you download movies because it's convenient, so theaters raise ticket prices. So now you download because tickets are too expensive, and the film industry thinks of a gimmick to draw more people into the theaters(Avatar was the prototype). And now everything is a 3D remake because it's the only proven way to make a fuckton of $$$. This is how things are.

Yeah, but you download movies because it's convenient, so theaters raise ticket prices. So now you download because tickets are too expensive, and the film industry thinks of a gimmick to draw more people into the theaters(Avatar was the prototype). And now everything is a 3D remake because it's the only proven way to make a fuckton of $$$. This is how things are.

Oh dear, someone's been drinking the kool aid.

I won't beat about the bush with this film. It will be a day out to London to the Imax Waterloo, not some wanky local cinema.

I already have the release date pencilled in my diary, Imax definitely. Same with Dark Knight Rises.

• 1 month later...

I like the idea of using ted but why he is talking infront of thosands of people? It would of been far more effective if it was a small crowd like the real ones. Plus the speech was just shit. Bet the film will be to.

that was pretty lame yeah. the way the crowd reacted when he said "we are the gods now", ugh, such crappy writing, like noone in that huge crowd (ted crowd nonetheless) had ever thought of that before.

Edited by data

i think the budget may be too high for it to be proper sci-fi, but im not sure what you mean by proper sci-fi.

Terra-forming. Realistic androids/bio-engineering. Dark, cold space. Suspense and practically unimaginable aliens.

None of that blue-cat-people-want-to-save-the-forest shit.

that was pretty lame yeah. the way the crowd reacted when he said "we are the gods now", ugh, such crappy writing, like noone in that huge crowd (ted crowd nonetheless) had ever thought of that before.

ah man yeah, "we are the gods now", tottally terrible.

i think the budget may be too high for it to be proper sci-fi, but im not sure what you mean by proper sci-fi.

Terra-forming. Realistic androids/bio-engineering. Dark, cold space. Suspense and practically unimaginable aliens.

I sort of know what you mean but do you genuinely think this film wil deliver that to a high quality? I haven't quite yet figured out why I've found everything to do with this film so unappealing.

:cisfor: I'd like to add that the acting was bad, I didn't believe in that character for a second. Bonus points for obvious green screen shots.

Edited by Gocab

I sort of know what you mean but do you genuinely think this film wil deliver that to a high quality? I haven't quite yet figured out why I've found everything to do with this film so unappealing.

Maybe it won't deliver on every aspect. Maybe I was just overawed by the (probably fake) leaked synopsis involving lofty concepts, but I'm mostly holding out hope that it's being marketed early-on as a standard sci-fi and then Ridley will then open with a 20-min dialogue-less scene involving Space Jockeys and shit.

I dunno. I'll go see it anyway, and probably enjoy it enough to make it worthwhile.

Edit: I can't remember the last sci-fi I saw in a cinema actually, so it'll be an experience. I'm not sure if Alien vs Predator 2 counts, it's a monster-movie.

Edited by Gary C

mr. weyland as meanie macho steve-jobs-meets-pit-bull, now ain't that original.

can't wait to see ms. yutani.

You can already.

If that movie counts.