IGNORED

JAZZ - THE THREAD

halisray

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nina Simone is perhaps better known as a "pop singer", or maybe even a "protest singer" in the 60s but her debut album "Little Girl Blue" is a totally fantastic soulful jazz record ... her voice is extremely convincing and strong - and she plays piano too! she plays with just a drummer and a bassist, varying her playing from Bach like counter point passages to romantic piano style and also bluesy stuff, it's amazing! this record is high quality from start to end, very much recommended ... suitable for instance for romantic candle lit dinners, I think, heh ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTFhADgKxi0

• 2 weeks later...

Listen alot of "Lars Jansson Trio"

https://www. youtube.com/watch?v=H-rJYGZoQlk

Love the Jazz with just Double bass, Piano and drums

Would love some recommendation of that kind. :)

You want the Oscar Peterson Trio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhfIH7j5rLI

Listen alot of "Lars Jansson Trio"

https://www. youtube.com/watch?v=H-rJYGZoQlk

Love the Jazz with just Double bass, Piano and drums

Would love some recommendation of that kind. :)

Bill evans with Scott Lafarro . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waltz_for_Debby_(1962_album)

Now He Sings, Now He Sobs - Chick Corea

Bud Powell - The Scene Changes

My favorite pianist are Lennie Tristano, Wynton Kelly, Bud Powell, Dorothy Donegan, Nat Cole, Art Tatum, Bill Evans, Monk, Billy Strayhorn, Red Garland

Edited by Ayya Khema

• 4 weeks later...

Hallo jazz freaks, I picked up Cosmic Funk and Astral Travelling by Lonnie Liston Smith recently and love them both fucking loads. Based on that please can you give me recommendations? Love the psychedelic vibe of both.

(already got loads of LLS and Pharaoh Sanders so any recs apart from them. The less singing the better. Fanx!!) :)

Hallo jazz freaks, I picked up Cosmic Funk and Astral Travelling by Lonnie Liston Smith recently and love them both fucking loads. Based on that please can you give me recommendations? Love the psychedelic vibe of both.
(already got loads of LLS and Pharaoh Sanders so any recs apart from them. The less singing the better. Fanx!!) :)

Alice Coltrane - Ptah, The El Daoud and Eternity (the latter has some singing and chanting, but it's really great), Journey in Satchidananda as well.

Freddie Hubbard's First Light is really good, one of the more straightforward things here, but with a cosmic edge to it.

Eddie Henderson - Realization (kind of a mixture of the cosmic vibes with more of a Miles Davis fusion thing), Red Clay as well (more straight up cosmic vibes/post bop)

Herbie Hancock's stuff around this time has a similar feeling as well, with more of that LLS funk thing going on as well, Thrust and Mwandishi are great.

Doug Hammond - Reflections In The Sea Of Nurnen (it has a few tracks with singing, but a couple of really top tracks on here).

Marcus Belgrave - Gemini 2 (adds some freaky electronic noodlings to the proceedings).

Don Cherry is another favourite, he takes things in a more free direction, but lots of crazy influences from all around the world. Eternal Rhythm is good, and Relativity Suite is really great.

Sun Ra is another obvious one, but I find a lot of his stuff pretty hit and miss, not sure what to recommend.

Edited by caze

Thankyou v much :) mwandishi is another one of my faves, all the others I've never heard so will be checking them out. I've tried to get into Sun Ra several times in the past and I completely agree with you

btw, the Eddie Henderson album is actually Inside Out (the version I have is a double with Realization as the first half, which is more of the Miles fusion sound), the more spiritual sounding stuff is on Inside Out.

Thankyou v much :) mwandishi is another one of my faves, all the others I've never heard so will be checking them out. I've tried to get into Sun Ra several times in the past and I completely agree with you

as you know handcock and pharoah, in the cosmic jazz flourished between 66 and 72. Look for liebman, elvin jones, farell, chick corea, freddie hubard, alice coltrane. I love this style but sadly, not much have been done. I cant stand sun ra.

this album is a must listen

Everything coltrane did after 1965

Joe Zawinul - Zawinul and of course the weather report.

ALICE COLTRANE - Journey In Satchidananda

don cherry- eternal rythm

Edited by Ayya Khema

Yusef Lateef is definitely under appreciated, that album Eastern Sounds is a good place to start if ppl aren't familiar with him, all of his 60s albums are great.

Love Theme from Spartacus is one of my all time favourites, love this Bill Evans' version as well:

• 1 month later...