Guest KY

You've reduced my post to mere 'don't get angry anymore'

But you missed the part where I detailed *why* you're angry

and exactly what to do about, step by step

Thing is, if you don't know that person you can't give sufficient advice

Aka "y'all don't know me"

Individual differences don't reach down into the limbic system

You and I are running the same firmware, homie

To clarify: It's not me who has these anger issues, it's the guy one page before. I'm just interferring the conversation :)

I mean what you said isn't wrong but it's so vague that it probably won't help him defeat his anger in my opinion - but I might well be wrong

Okay look, here's a story about how your limbic system works:

Your hypothalamus posits a motivational state (e.g. "I'm hungry")

Your cognitive framework then becomes 'navigate the environment from A (hunger) to B (food or food-getting tools)'

But there are also 'unseen obstacles' from any A to any B

When you encounter an 'unseen obstacle' your hippocampus activates and says to your cognitive system 'bro, go sort this out'

And if your cognitive system doesn't sort it out

Then your amygdala (i.e. negative emotion) activates

And then your hypothalamus' new motivational state is 'Hulk smash'

And around and around we go

So your cognitive system needs to get right by your hippocampus

Or else you become anxious, angry, disappointed, frustrated, sad, etc etc etc etc etc

Edited by LimpyLoo

Limpy can you guide us through the process that compels you to post the same "Limpy's Absolute Truth Guide to How Everyone's Brain Works And How to Cure Everyone's Mind Forever" guide over and over again? Starting with your hypothalamus forming in your mother's womb and ending with you solving Psychology forever for the 100th time on an electronic music forum

LimpyLoo, master of woo.

(j/k, you're alright)

FWP; really don't know what to do for nye; party, stay at home or spend time with my dad.

I wanna just neck a bottle of wine and some oxazepam and sleep through it all.

Limpy can you guide us through the process that compels you to post the same "Limpy's Absolute Truth Guide to How Everyone's Brain Works And How to Cure Everyone's Mind Forever" guide over and over again? Starting with your hypothalamus forming in your mother's womb and ending with you solving Psychology forever for the 100th time on an electronic music forum

Because someone said they were angry and stuttering

And I thought I could offer a solution

If it would make your life easier, I'm happy to stop

Your cognitive framework then becomes 'navigate the environment from A (hunger) to B (food or food-getting tools)'

When you encounter an 'unseen obstacle' your hippocampus activates and says to your cognitive system 'bro, go sort this out'

Or else you become anxious, angry, disappointed, frustrated, sad, etc etc etc etc etc

That's quite accademic and it's a good thing to think about these things. But as I said, it's not very practical.

"You just have to fix how your hippocampus works" isn't an advice that really helps :)

If you tell him "change your behavior" you should clarify how he can do that exactly but you can't because you don't know him. But it's nice of you that you want to help

But we're going round in circles now

Edited by darreichungsform

Because someone said they were angry and stuttering

And I thought I could offer a solution

If it would make your life easier, I'm happy to stop

don't you mean "take it to HR"???

(which I did and it was moved)

Some of us just want a place to talk about our bitchy fwp, charging our JO crystals or whatever. We don't want to understand "why". You've got your own thread for this stuff now meng embrace it.  :beer:

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

That's quite accademic and it's a good thing to think about these things. But as I said, it's not very practical.

"You just have to fix how your hippocampus works" isn't an advice that really helps :)

If you tell him "change your behavior" you should clarify how he can do that exactly but you can't because you don't know him. But it's nice of you that you want to help

the reason people get angry

Is because they're limbic/emotional system can't distinguish between sandcastles and brick walls

And so it uses brute force to try to plow through both of them

The whole evolutionary point of having a cognitive system is to tell the difference, so you can walk around the brick walls

Edited by LimpyLoo

Is because they're limbic/emotional system can't distinguish between sandcastles and brick walls

The whole evolutionary point of having a cognitive system is to tell the difference, so you can walk around the brick walls

When I'm angry at someone because they said something bad, how does it help me to know all this stuff about what brain part is activated etc? The problem is still there. So what you say isn't a real advice but just knowledge. Good to have and interesting to know but doesn't fix anything

When I'm angry at someone because they said something bad, how does it help me to know all this stuff about what brain part is activated etc? The problem is still there. So what you say isn't a real advice but just knowledge. Good to have and interesting to know but doesn't fix anything
What does it mean that you're angry at them?

Think about why you're angry and what good that does

And if that's a fixed part of your personality or not

And whether (perhaps) your anger is a mostly-useless part of yourself that you can dissolve by understanding where your thinking is going off the rails (as I've so annoyingly laid out over the last page)

Edited by LimpyLoo

Mods, move all this shit to the psychology thread.

I keep trying but it's just not resonating with him. Doesn't matter how many people he hears it from.

must be something wrong with his his hippocampus

Noone (I mean some people might...) wants you to stop posting. We just don't like every thread devolving into some sort of psychology breakdown.

Don't take it so hard.

I thought this information might dissolve the anger, anxiety, etc of any member who cares to understand it

Sorry, dunno what made me think 'first world problems' was a good thread to offer solutions for problems

Maybe you've overlooked somehow that it's just a few pages of you going back and forth with someone that isn't even the person with the FWP, Consul hasn't responded? And you're just asserting things as knowledge/fact without the person with the original problem being involved?

I think maybe you've overlooked that?

This is exactly the place to offer solutions to fwp. Don't try and take what we're saying and spin it into something else.

Swfp: watching decent people on a forum go back and forth about silliness.

Noone (I mean some people might...) wants you to stop posting. We just don't like every thread devolving into some sort of psychology breakdown.

Don't take it so hard.

Agreed.

Maybe you've overlooked somehow that it's just a few pages of you going back and forth with someone that isn't even the person with the FWP, Consul hasn't responded? And you're just asserting things as knowledge/fact without the person with the original problem being involved?

This is exactly the place to offer solutions to fwp. Don't try and take what we're saying and spin it into something else.

Every thread I post in

You show up and basically say 'any thread but this one, Limpy'

Yes I am long-winded and socially-flakey

But forgive me if I'm a bit suspicious about how keen you are to perpetually correct my behavior

You show up and basically say 'any thread but this one, Limpy'

Nope.

I say "you have your own damn psychology thread, use it".

Be suspicious all you want, probably just something wrong with your amygdala or para-hippocampal gyrus.

Anyways let's move on please and thank you.