IGNORED

stupid first world problems you're dealing with

Guest KY

dementia is awful yeah, my 86 year old grandmother spending christmas with us this year, spent an hour talking with her this morning about her toast, after each slice she had she insisted she only had one, after the 4th slice she was convinced there was a family conspiracy to deny her access to toast, she has literally zero short term memory at this point. agree with everything they say and figure out various distraction strategies, only way to go, everything else leads to stress and aggravation. her childhood memories are actually stronger than ever though, get her talking about the old days and it's like there's nothing wrong with her.

Yeah, my grandmother is getting there. She tells the same old stories over and over but she can't remember things that just happened. The worst part is that she knows. At least my grandfather didn't really that he couldn't remember things.

A couple of years my dad was diagnosed with frontotemporal dementia which was fucking terrible. The worst 6 months or so of my life. Turned out his liver was just fucked from his alcohol abuse. Oops. Stupid fucking doctors.

1) have broken up with GF, but she hasn't moved out yet

2) hate my well paying job, have a mortgage that requires a well paying job, cannot think of any feasible (jobs that aren't in dying industries) alternative i'd like to do (well paying job involves other peoples health, so can't half arse it)

plan:

sell house

rent cheapest possible place i can in some remote place (?tasmania)

try hand at dying industry

fail

unburn bridges

go back to job I hate

Very similar stuff going on around these parts, shit is rough. Serious fwp.

1) have broken up with GF, but she hasn't moved out yet

2) hate my well paying job, have a mortgage that requires a well paying job, cannot think of any feasible (jobs that aren't in dying industries) alternative i'd like to do (well paying job involves other peoples health, so can't half arse it)

plan:

sell house

rent cheapest possible place i can in some remote place (?tasmania)

try hand at dying industry

fail

unburn bridges

go back to job I hate

Very similar stuff going on around these parts, shit is rough. Serious fwp.

Absolutely firstest of wps

People who act and talk like shit to me. And also people who talk shit about me when I'm in the same room. This problem alone just drives my anger issues wild, so wild that I start to stutter when I try to talk back and fail miserably. Also people who underestimate.

People who act and talk like shit to me. And also people who talk shit about me when I'm in the same room. This problem alone just drives my anger issues wild, so wild that I start to stutter when I try to talk back and fail miserably. Also people who underestimate.

That sounds terrible! 

Yeah it does, I had so many outbursts in high school, it's insane. Those are the reasons I lower the count of my friends. Too many cooks spoil the broth, you know.

Edited by Consul

That sounds terrible! 

Yeah it does, I had so many outbursts in high school, it's insane. Those are the reasons I lower the count of my friends. Too many cooks spoil the broth, you know.

Yeah, lots of idiots around these days (and not only these days). Not even saying I'm not one of them though

Bookshelf I ordered is being delivered by a terrible delivery company we use at my workplace (UK Mail: has a 1.5 out of 5 rating on Google which is accurate), and their drivers--especially the driver who works this area--treat the parcels like shit. I know this for a fact because I load the parcels onto this driver's van every night, and he completely ignores bright FRAGILE or THIS WAY UP labels, throwing the parcels into his van like a bank robber chucking bags of cash into a getaway vehicle. I can only imagine what shape my bookshelf will arrive in, and that he know it is me who complains about the condition of it. I pray the bookshelve is so sturdy it survives his manhandling of it.

And he will probably arrive so goddamn early it will ruin one of my few lie-ins I get. And he will see me in my pyjamas.

Edited by Bechuga

dementia is awful yeah, my 86 year old grandmother spending christmas with us this year, spent an hour talking with her this morning about her toast, after each slice she had she insisted she only had one, after the 4th slice she was convinced there was a family conspiracy to deny her access to toast, she has literally zero short term memory at this point. agree with everything they say and figure out various distraction strategies, only way to go, everything else leads to stress and aggravation. her childhood memories are actually stronger than ever though, get her talking about the old days and it's like there's nothing wrong with her.

Yeah, my grandmother is getting there. She tells the same old stories over and over but she can't remember things that just happened. The worst part is that she knows. At least my grandfather didn't really that he couldn't remember things.

A couple of years my dad was diagnosed with frontotemporal dementia which was fucking terrible. The worst 6 months or so of my life. Turned out his liver was just fucked from his alcohol abuse. Oops. Stupid fucking doctors.

How's your dad doing now?  I think mine is in a state of continual decline.  I had to call 911 for the first time in my life last night.  He got on the floor and couldn't get back up.  Started talking about the lady in the light.... sounded like a light at the end of the tunnel death talk to me.  He's still alive tonight though... just some run of the mill old confused guy delusions.  There are no white blood cells in his urine, which is good, and extremely rare for someone his age.   So on the bright side my dad's in good condition physically.  Mentally he's totally fucked.  He's still alive but in in a sense he is gone.  I don't think we will ever have what can be considered an actual conversation from this point forward. I don't think I have fully processed this yet.   :shrug:  :wtf:  :cisfor:  :catsuicide:

How's your dad doing now?  I think mine is in a state of continual decline.  I had to call 911 for the first time in my life last night.  He got on the floor and couldn't get back up.  Started talking about the lady in the light.... sounded like a light at the end of the tunnel death talk to me.  He's still alive tonight though... just some run of the mill old confused guy delusions.  There are no white blood cells in his urine, which is good, and extremely rare for someone his age.   So on the bright side my dad's in good condition physically.  Mentally he's totally fucked.  He's still alive but in in a sense he is gone.  I don't think we will ever have what can be considered an actual conversation from this point forward. I don't think I have fully processed this yet.   :shrug:  :wtf:  :cisfor:  :catsuicide:

He has his ups and downs and I've more or less come to accept that once a year so he falls into his own trap and starts drinking - I saw him take a sip from a random glass of wine on Christmas Eve. I got so fucking pissed. Sometimes I just want to punch him in the face, but I know it's a disease. And to be honest, I fucking love him. He's the best when he's sober and 11 years ago when I witnessed him being sober for the first time in my life I remember thinking to myself, "I can totally understand why my mom fell for this guy". He's charming, funny, caring... but fuck, alcohol turns him into Mr. Hyde.

Just to make it clear, he doesn't suffer from dementia. His liver was so fucked back a couple of years back so it couldn't clean his blood and all the shit in his blood get clogged in his brain which put him into a state similar to dementia which is why the doctors thought he suffered from dementia. It was so fucked up. I think he was around 57-58 at the time and he was put in a home for people +80. It was surreal.

But man... dementia is the worst. Like I said, my grandfather suffered it as well and I actually did manage to have a quick talk with the real him at one point. It lasted for like 10 secs but for a second you could see that he was present.

How's your mom doing?

She's exhausted... occasionally gets hysterical, but for the most part she's staying strong and doing an amazing job taking care of my dad. But she's doing things she should never have to do.  I think we need a nurse, or a home.... but it's expensive, and there are huge waiting lists for homes.

I'm glad to hear your dad has something a bit more manageable, sounds super frustrating though.  My first girlfriend's mom had an alcohol problem, and she could get pretty nasty some nights.  Mostly she just liked to have anyone listen while she rambled on about her problems.

lol sorry to crash the FWP thread guys... please continue.  Here I'll start.  I've noticed my body odour has been getting increasingly more mannish of late.  Not sure if it's my nauseating pheromones trying extra hard since breaking up with my girlfriend a few months ago or what... but I've had a few people tell me I used to really stink before we started dating all those years ago, so this might actually be what's happening.  I'm man stinking stupid hard unnngh.

lol sorry to crash the FWP thread guys... please continue.  Here I'll start.  I've noticed my body odour has been getting increasingly more mannish of late.  Not sure if it's my nauseating pheromones trying extra hard since breaking up with my girlfriend a few months ago or what... but I've had a few people tell me I used to really stink before we started dating all those years ago, so this might actually be what's happening.  I'm man stinking stupid hard unnngh.

I tried that during a time where I was pretty nervous about everything going on in my life. I had just met my girlfriend and felt like my life had been taken away from me, I had just gotten fired and had a hard time finding a new job, and I just wanted to stay in bed and do nothing.

As soon as I found my footing, and I found a new job etc. it all went away. Now I smell pretty good.

Here is a (possible) solution:

The reason you get angry

(and the reason you stutter...as I used to do, and for the same reason)

is because your 'general behavioral strategy' is running into a brick wall (i.e. butting heads with the world)

And your hypothalamus' quick-and-dirty solution is to use brute force to bend the world so it gets the fuck out of your way

also,

You are worried (as we all are!) that the world will use your vulnerability against you

And that that would destroy you

(That is why humans stutter: they are pre-flinching in anticipation of the world smacking them and punishing their vulnerability)

How about this:

Do not fall or feed into these behavioral micro-loops with the world

(They are, at bottom, interpersonal shame rituals)

Literally *anytime* something bad happens in the world

(i.e. Anytime your hippocampus clocks a prediction error)

Assume the problem is your strategy, and adjust accordingly

Because you have absolutely no control over anything else

Don't feel shame, don't obsessively re-run the past in your head trying to tweek it to perfection

Adjust your strategy, and move on to the next thing

Cheers

Edited by LimpyLoo

Oh and p.s.

I'm guessing you also have perpetual tension in your neck and shoulders

It's the same basic 'pre-flinching' as stuttering

which is why ex-cons famously have tension in their shoulders: they are conditioned to anticipate punishments in the environment and are 'bracing for impact'

Fix your orientation/strategy

And all that tension will dissolve

Oh and p.s.

which is why ex-cons famously have tension in their shoulders: they are conditioned to anticipate punishments in the environment and are 'bracing for impact'

"just let go and change your behavior" isn't a very practical advice. You can say that anytime but it doesn't change anything

Oh and p.s.

"just let go and change your behavior" isn't a very practical advice. You can say that anytime but it doesn't change anything

It is *the* most practical advice possible

(By definition of 'practical' in fact)

And if by 'it doesn't change anything' you mean 'it doesn't actually bend the world to your will' then yes I agree

That's the whole point

The only tool you have that bends the world is your behavior (which is driven by your internal models of the world, which clearly aren't useful models if you are perpetually angry and ineffectual)

Oh and p.s.

It is *the* most practical advice possible

(By definition of 'practical' in fact)

And if by 'it doesn't change anything' you mean 'it doesn't actually bend the world to your will' then yes I agree

That's the whole point

The only tool you have that bends the world is your behavior (which is driven by your internal models of the world, which clearly aren't useful models if you are perpetually angry and ineffectual)

So if someone gets extremely angry on a regular basis I should just say: "don't get angry anymore"

Or if someone is depressed I say: "Don't be depressed anymore"

Wow, that's very helpful

Edited by darreichungsform

You've reduced my post to mere 'don't get angry anymore'

But you missed the part where I detailed *why* you're angry

and exactly what to do about, step by step

Thing is, if you don't know that person you can't give sufficient advice

Aka "y'all don't know me"

Individual differences don't reach down into the limbic system

You and I are running the same firmware, homie