IGNORED

The Wine Thread

J3FF3R00

Still haven't sampled buckfast even since my local shop started stocking it. I feel like I need to be invited to some sort of dreadful party where I end up drinking it in a corridor

It might be a nice party. But after several people have downed their bottles, its sure to be dreadful.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i highly recommend the calina carmenere from chile as a good budget, workhorse wine. drinks like a 15-20 dollar bottle of wine. great shit. best under $10 wine out there. caremeneres in general are cheap and delicious and, like malbecs, they put their heads down and bring their lunch pails with them to the dinner table.

I dunno about wine classes, but wine tastings are a good time and educational!

Edit: good, powerful red shit down by temecula, btw

I can't believe that I've lived in this area since December and I've only been to the wineries once! It was a great experience brought home like 10 wine glasses.

I really like the sweet wines you'd drink with desserts. like Wiens Ruby Port. it's Spicy with black pepper notes, mocha, and plum-jam... Yum!

my favorite is probably Apothic Red and it's not too expensive. only $10.

Apothic Red reveals intense fruit aromas and flavors of rhubarb and black cherry that are complemented by hints of mocha, chocolate, brown spice and vanilla. The plush, velvety mouthfeel and smooth finish round out this intriguing, full-bodied red blend.

13.1% Alcohol

As far as Chardonnays go, the only one I've tried was Toasted Head. And I loved it... should revisit it again sometime.

When I was still living in NYC, we went up to Marlboro along the Hudson for a wine tasting. Benmarl, The place we went to had some killer wines.

If I remember correctly, their Frontenac was the one I liked the best. It had a full, fruity and almost leathery taste and aroma. I like that smooth leathery vibe.

The Baco Noir and the Zinfandel were also quite good.

They claim to be America's oldest vineyard. As far as I recall, you can't get their wines in stores, but I think you can order them direct.

I like red wine a lot. I would say merlots and cabs are my favorite. I don't drink white or rose wines because they tend to use isinglass [fish guts] in the filtering process.

It's funny to note that in California, you can buy a bottle of wine for $3 and it's on par with wines back east that are $10.

Guest Deep Fried Everything

2007 california cabernets from napa and sonoma are Real solid. i like the franciscan and simi vintages, but there are lots of good ones for that year.

malbec blends are the shit. get ahold of some la posta or luigi bosca, mmmm man they are so good. good blends will include malbec, cabernet, cab franc, and the like.

the point about aeration is a good one; the la posta wines have to breathe for about 45 min before they open up. also proper glasses help too..

Reading through this thread has been making me wanna go get some wine, I am having a bbq at my place tonight, a good red wine would go nicely with all the meat... I've been meaning to try one of these ones, anyone tried one? Supposed to be pretty good stuff

wine-buttons2.png

Casillero.jpg

yes!

I like Riojas, Shiraz and enjoy a Pinot Grigio with the missus. Also really enjoyed Italian sparkling whites like Prosecco and Moscato d'Asti when I was in Venice with work.

Inlaws are big fans of the McGuigan range, which are a safe bet for £4 a bottle

IMG_1116.JPG

yeah... it's a good supermarket wine. i can't dispute that... but the best you've ever had?

edit: the best kaini's ever had?

i am poor, and a wine noob, relatively speaking. the funny thing is i drink buckfast a lot, but these days you'd get two bottles of decent-ish wine for the price of a bottle of brown.

I don't drink wine anymore. bad things happen when i drink wine. and vodka, and gin. and lager and cider. baaaaaaaad things.

yeah... it's a good supermarket wine. i can't dispute that... but the best you've ever had?

i am poor, and a wine noob, relatively speaking. the funny thing is i drink buckfast a lot, but these days you'd get two bottles of decent-ish wine for the price of a bottle of brown.

You have shattered my picture of you sexing lodgers while swilling Chateau Lafite and munching cave aged Roquefort while wearing an LTM smoking jacket and listening to the advisory circle on repeat.

You have shattered my picture of you sexing lodgers while swilling Chateau Lafite and munching cave aged Roquefort while listening to the advisory circle on repeat.

Lol, that was the old me.

oh hang on, i think you're talking to kaini... :facepalm: i don't even dig the AC. but i do sex lodgers. lol

yeah... er i was talking to Kaini

yes. you've edited it now. but you didn't use any quote before. or did you... lol. i'm not paying attention.

nae bother, carry on...

You have shattered my picture of you sexing lodgers while swilling Chateau Lafite and munching cave aged Roquefort while wearing an LTM smoking jacket and listening to the advisory circle on repeat.

well, the roquefort and the advisory circle are correct. and sometimes i like to turn my anorak inside-out to expose the shiny smoking-jacket-esque lining. like a sock.

edit: i think i need a pipe.

love the luigi bosca, DFE. I was in argentina last year, visiting buenos aires and mendoza (where all the malbec is produced). you could let your finger drift down to the bottom of the wine menu and pick out their most expensive bottle of wine for about $30. They would have to climb to the top of the cellar rack and blow the dust off the bottle. and it was delicious. i'm all about south american wines as everyday workhorse wines.

the point about aeration is a good one; the la posta wines have to breathe for about 45 min before they open up. also proper glasses help too..

i have one of these:

vinturi-wine-aerator-2.jpg

it was given to me as a gift. i thought it was a regift, a gimmick, and never considered using it till recently when i started reading consumer reviews. i tried blind taste tests on my friends, my parents, and myself. turns out, it's legit. now i just dump all my shit through it into a glass of wine. good wine, target box wine, white wine, dont care. sparkling water, milk, cable bill, work emails, trash, whatever. if it touches my hands, it goes through the fucking vinturi.

holy fuck, do want. i'm a big fan of turning something like wine appreciation into a scientific process like that. i was kinda obsessed with finding the perfect french press for my coffee for a while.

Archived