IGNORED

WATMM Homebrew Thread

Hautlle

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks eggs! It starts out as a cleaning job for the most part; kegs, fermentors, icehouse, brewhouse, etc. Once I'm proficient at those tasks I'd get moved up to bright tank/carbonating stuff and cleaning keg lines etc. Only after I get all that down (6-12 months) would I finally start training to brew on their 3bbl system. The brewmaster made sure I knew how it was going to go down, but I told him I was well aware that it was a lot of manual labor and cleaning and that I was cool with it. Apparently they're looking into expanding their capacity and buying a bottling line to start distributing bombers to local stores, so he said that could lead to extra responsibilities for me. I'm just hoping for the best. I really need a job, it's been over a month of unemployment now. I've had interviews elsewhere, but nothing has some through. This would only be a part-time position, but it's a step into the industry and is an awesome opportunity :biggrin: Plus there's some good perks as far as free beer/food and getting to represent the brewery at beerfest/events across the state.

Plus there's some good perks as far as free beer/food and getting to represent the brewery at beerfest/events across the state.

nice.

sounds like a good job! nothing wrong with a job that involve some graft, it's the worst thing being stuck behind the desk all day.

I'm definitely looking forward to doing some physical work again. I've done the whole sit behind a desk gig for the last 3 years. I've applied for a few manual labor jobs as well as some more medical office jobs, but I really hope I get the assistant brewer job!

Bottled up a Weizenbock yesterday, hoping I don't have any bottles explode. Everything I've read says not to go over 3 volumes of CO2 in a 12oz bottle. Weizenbocks are traditionally carbonated to 3.7-4.7 volumes of CO2. Mine are primed for 3.8 volumes.

I have my Hefeweizen bottled at 3.5 volumes, but they are in really thick Green Flash Brewery bottles. A couple were in stubby bottles (the type that Sierra Nevada uses). I bottled the Weizenbock in all stubbys...

I'm doubting i got the job unfortunately =/ The head brewer said i should hear from him either way by Sunday or yesterday and I've still heard nothing. This is the second employer to tell me they'll call whether I got the job or not, and neither has called... What's up with that?

I'm doubting i got the job unfortunately =/ The head brewer said i should hear from him either way by Sunday or yesterday and I've still heard nothing. This is the second employer to tell me they'll call whether I got the job or not, and neither has called... What's up with that?

Sometimes the first choice may not want it and so they have to decide who to offer it to then, or sometimes they just haven't had a chance (for whatever reason) to decide. It isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I'd be poised to ring them at the end of the week and ask them, if you don't hear before then.

Condolences, dude. I've been trying to get an apprenticeship or assistant job at a local brewery lately. It's hard stuff. Apparently lots of people like beer. Who would have known?

Thanks Braintree, it would've been a cool gig but just wasn't in the cards I guess :shrug:

I racked my IPA to secondary yesterday, it was tasting really nice. I'm gonna let it clear up for a few days before dry hopping with more Nugget and Horizon hops. I actually got woke up on Monday morning by a big bang followed by a smaller popping sound. Walked around the house to investigate and when I finally got to the basement I found the airlock clogged full of yeast and hops lying on the floor next to the fermentor. Pressure built up so much it blew the whole stopper out and shot it into the ceiling! Luckily there wasn't a huge mess to clean up.

Brewing up an American Wheat this evening for the gf as it's her favorite style of beer.

edit: Hit my number spot on. I've been consistently getting 80% efficiency with my current stove-top brew-in-a-bag method. All the positives of doing all-grain brews without all the extra equipment and such.

551148_10150926967627687_910710675_n.jpg

• 1 month later...

For those who didn't know, Obama bought a homebrewing kit last year and the White House kitchen staff has been brewing since. They've come up with three of their own recipes using honey from the White House garden. A Honey Brown, a Honey Porter, and a Honey Blonde. They just released the recipes after a month or so of homebrewers pestering them about it

Link for recipes

[youtubehd]dygQrX8FI3Q[/youtubehd]

• 2 weeks later...

I built myself a 10 gallon mash tun this weekend. I've got a propane burner and a new 9 gallon stainless steel brewpot on the way from Amazon. Looking forward to getting off the stove top and moving my brewing outside so I no longer have to worry about boil-overs ruining the stove and hearing about it from the gf lol. I haven't brewed for about a month and a half now due to lack of grain, but I now have a job and got in on a group grain buy through my new brew-club, so I'll be picking up 155 pounds of grain next weekend and it will be on once again!

1M6Yz.jpg

RlONA.jpg

Guest onesixoneight

My latest effort;

Its a Ruby Red ale from St Peters Brewery in Suffolk and tastes mighty fine although still a bit cloudy but hey I'm not looking for any prizes.

Good session ale.

post-190-0-98393000-1348063953_thumb.jpg post-190-0-05060900-1348064035_thumb.jpg

Guest onesixoneight

Nice kettle hautile like it lots! I use extract thanks for asking and will continue to do so for the time being because I havent got the space here by the canal to set up all that wonderful kit you guys are showing off (plus the wife might start!)

However im new to brewing so if I can continue to get good results I might start being more creative like you guys.

No issues with the clear bottles as yet, old Newcastle Brown Ale ones they are perfect, easy to fill and you get to admire your work. I do keep mine in the dark as much as possible being aware that skunking is an issue.

Having a brew day this weekend. I previously made the Coopers Australian Pale Ale which was great, just followed the recipe and used some BKE.

Now I've got some US-05 yeast and some cascade hops. Going to make a tea and dry-hop with these and I want to get something a bit more 'american' - SNPA style hopefully.

What fermentables should I use? I wouldn't mind it being a bit stronger than 3.8% - and a bit more bite would be great. Was thinking about chucking in a tin of 1.5kg light malt extract, would this do the job (it's quite expensive), or should i just chuck in the BKE and some extra sugar or spraymalt?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Archived