IGNORED

WATMM Homebrew Thread

Hautlle

The Hefeweizen has such a strong fermentation going that it worked its way out of the container! This is the first time I've actually needed a blow-off tube.

Vxwj5.jpg

edit: Also, the Rye-PA gets dry-hopped today!

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, I want to get in on this but I'm scared.

I'm probably going to start easy with those tin kits to begin with, can you use malt extracts instead of plain old shitty sugar with them? Will the beer turn out better? I'm thinking of getting the coopers dyi "microbrewery" beer kit, anyone tried that setup? I'll probably get some other syrup to go with it, not to keen on pilsner, that comes in the box. So what are some good extracts? Will this end well?

• 2 weeks later...

I would definitely add more malt extract rather than sugar Gocab. Sugar will dry out the beer leaving it with less body and also give it a cidery/green apple flavor.

I just bottled up the Hefeweizen tonight, bottled the Rye-PA a couple days ago. At the moment I have about 12 gallons of beer in my closet lol.

I'm trying to decide what my next brew will be.... A stout? Another IPA? I'm thinking maybe more of the IBA cause all I have left is 7 bombers and it was awesome. I have the same amount of the Java Porter left too.... Decisions, decisions..... :sup:

Decided to try a Rye-PA and Hefe yesterday since they've in the bottle for one week, and five days respectively.

Rye-PA was still undercarbed, a little maltier than I had hoped, definitely needs more rye next time to give it more of the spice I like, it's not bad though.

The hefe was truly amazing, carbed up pretty well for only 5 days. This is my first time doing my own recipe, not a kit. It tastes a lot like New Belgium Sunshine Wheat but not as sweet and it has less lemon flavor. More orangey and yeasty than the Sunshine but it's really spot on for the style and has a nice orange/banana after taste!! I'm really impressed with it and it will definitely be brewed again.

IMG_20111205_191742.jpg

Eggnog stout is up later this week!

5ad09d4b-2821-8bb6.jpg

No head (apparently normal if you don't inject co2 into the barrel) but a good amount of fizz and tastes fantastic. Got through 35 pints at our party on sat, and it got a lot of love. Just need to finish it off because it's getting flat now

5ad09d4b-2821-8bb6.jpg

No head (apparently normal if you don't inject co2 into the barrel) but a good amount of fizz and tastes fantastic. Got through 35 pints at our party on sat, and it got a lot of love. Just need to finish it off because it's getting flat now. this pic is from today, at first it had a bubbly head but not one that lasted.

I got me a kit to get going for my birthday. Gonna hopefully get it going by the weekend. I guess it's too late to think it'll be ready for Christmas? I'll be buying a pre-made barrel from a local brewery anyhow. I am very much looking forward to getting into this whole brewing lark.

That's a brown right? Looks pretty good Is it what you imagined it would be?
it's an ipa, perhaps a little darker than I was expecting but it tastes really nice, a little like Timothy Taylor landlord

Oh yeah, it was the hop extract right? How did that work? was it mixed into the malt extract or was it a separate pouch or something?

I can't get Timothy Taylor where I'm at, never even heard of it before =)

Oh yeah, it was the hop extract right? How did that work? was it mixed into the malt extract or was it a separate pouch or something?

I can't get Timothy Taylor where I'm at, never even heard of it before =)

yeah it was this kit:

http://www.balliihoo.co.uk/john-bull-ipa-p-141.html

The hop and malt extract were all mixed together, you just add sugar and yeast and your sorted!

Instead of sugar, I used this beerkit enhancer:

http://www.balliihoo.co.uk/muntons-beerkit-enhancer-spraymalt-sugar-1kg-p-177.html

Which is probably another reason why it's a bit darker.

Timothy Taylor's Landlord is a fantastic session IPA in the UK:

products_bottledlandlord_bigpic.jpg

it's hard to get good head that lasts jhonny (even if you inject co2).

you could try adding some ritchie's creamy-top at the 2nd fermentation ...

http://www.hopshopuk.com/products/view/1723/beer-making/ingredients/colourings-flavourings-and-head-retention/creamy-top

PROPYLENE GLYCOL ALGINATE - EXTRACTED FROM BROWN SEAWEED =

http://www.aisonschem.com/propylene%20glycol%20alginate.htm

it's hard to get good head that lasts jhonny (even if you inject co2).

you could try adding some ritchie's creamy-top at the 2nd fermentation ...

http://www.hopshopuk...tion/creamy-top

PROPYLENE GLYCOL ALGINATE - EXTRACTED FROM BROWN SEAWEED =

http://www.aisonsche...%20alginate.htm

sounds interesting, might give it a go.

i'm not so bothered about having a great head, but it just makes it look slightly better. i'm sure with a bit of experimenting i'll get it looking a little better.

i'm not so bothered about having a great head, but it just makes it look slightly better. i'm sure with a bit of experimenting i'll get it looking a little better.

lol

lol

are we still talking about beer?

The Eggnog stout brew pushed my setup to the max. 10lbs of grain, 6lbs of malt extract, 1lb of milk sugar, spices, hops... DAMN.

My 5 gallon kettle was filled to the brim with 2.5 gallons of water and 10lbs of grain. It couldn't even hold all the sparge water, (water used to rinse the sugars off the grains after they've mashed for one hour) so I lost some gravity points because of it. OG was supposed to be about 1093, but I only got 1085 out of it.

It smelled amazing with the cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, mace, and vanilla. It was starting to take off when I checked it this morning before heading to work; bubbling nicely, small spots of krausen forming. It should be really strong by the time I get home this afternoon.

NOW THE WAITING

IMG_20111210_173144.jpg

IMG_20111210_190721.jpg

Guest uptown devil

awesome. i told my roommate about the recipe and i think be giving it a shot after his oatmeal stout is finished. excited to hear how yours comes out :beer:

Archived