IGNORED

WATMM Homebrew Thread

Hautlle

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

awesome stuff hautlle. i'd love to try your brews!

It seems pretty difficult/risky to ship outside of the US. It's technically illegal to even ship across state lines.

i'm with keltoi, but even tho i know some tricks to get this thru customs out of the US and in here, it'll be pricey.

damn hauttle that's some ballsy beers tho. IBA. props;.

i'm gonna pour one out for my brewer homie right now. he had a phd in microbiology and was the yeast expert. goddamn.

It seems pretty difficult/risky to ship outside of the US. It's technically illegal to even ship across state lines.

that's cool man, i'd never expect you to post to me over here!

i just wanted to express my boner for your brews... if i ever get the space to get my own going again i know who to ask for tips.

:beer:

:wub: Thanks man. I'd love to talk shop with you any time. I've recently met two past presidents of my city's homebewers guild just by talking about beer at bars and stuff. I'm planning on attending their next meeting to check it out, from what they say it seems pretty sweet.

I've just enjoyed the experience of learning what goes into beer and all the places you can take it. I'm still a total noob and there's so much to learn , but I've already learned a lot. I read almost anything I can find that's brewing related, especially forums and stuff.

dude haut, that hefe is real nice! I'm holding the stout for nye I think. really looking forward to it as the hef was a nicer tease. real class you are brewing there, I would definitely buy that.

I started off my Woodford Wherry kit yesterday. I'm really looking forward to trying it out. I would prefer to take a more active approach to it rather than using kits. I'll look into that once this one is in the keg. Here it is anyhow.

406236_10150544540823255_661408254_10446573_880927171_n.jpg

Good to hear! Your package arrived safely today. The label is really nicely done man! Gonna wait and get a nice meal together to pair it with, any recommendations?

haha thanks! did you read the surgeon general warning?

i find it is very fruity and strong right now. i like to have it with pizza or pasta with a bolognese.

Been thinking about trying my hand at a Dopplebock. I can't do a true lager (45-55 degrees F) so I plan on trying a California Common yeast (basically lagers at ale temps). Sadly all I can find on the subject is people asking if it's a good idea, but there's no replies to those topics...

Eggnog Stout has been in the bottle for a week now, Graff gets brewed tomorrow night (Happy New Year's Eve lol)

So many ideas with so little fermentation space :sad:

I think my next upgrade will be a second 6 gallon primary fermenter :sup:

If anyone is interested I use hopville.com to create my recipes. You can check out my creations I've thought of/brewed so far http://hopville.com/brewer/hautlle

edit: jules, had some lols from the warnings =) Looking forward to tasting it in the coming year!

I'm making a Belgian golden ale right now. I pitched the yeast on New Year's Eve and it is currently frothing up a storm. Like seriously raging foam through the blow-off tube into a bucket of sanitizer. Luckily I was nearby when the airlock blew off *POP*. The air coming out of it smells like rotten eggs/sulfur, which I read is actually normal with some Belgian yeasts.

It's a partial mash recipe, but I'm using twice as much grain as it called for. Also, a Belgian Strong Dark Ale yeast for a cleaner flavor, possibly.

I'm considering dry hopping it with an ounce of Citra, just because I like the idea of dry hopping. I'm just not sure the hops would be put to good use with this style. Maybe it'll taste like an American Barleywine?

I had to use a blow-off when I did my Hefe. Those yeasts are strong and get a big krausen going.

The Citra might give it more of an American Barleywine flavor. What was your OG? Did you use noble hops for bittering?

And if you don't like what the Citra adds you can always just wait until it dissipates :sup:

I brewed some Graff on NYE myself. It's going nicely. 5.5 gallons of malted cider lightly hopped with .5 oz of delicious Amarillo!

Yeah, I used 2.5 oz of Styrian Goldings at the boil and .5 oz at 45 minutes. Unfortunately, I forgot to check the OG before I pitched it. D'Oh!

I'm thinking I'll save the Citra for another batch. The guy at my local brew store pointed me to one of these: http://www.blichmann.../HopRocket.html

It circulates the wort through a filter of hops and it'll taste like delicious hop nectar when it's done. Oh baby.

I've never heard of hopped cider, but it sounds intriguing. Happy Brew Year.

A hop rocket would be nice, but wouldn't you need a pump or something to force the wort through? Maybe a large enough gravity feed would work?

I ran across this link on r/beer:

PILSENKRAUT: (pilsen - imagine, to fantasize, to have a vision, kraut - plant, shrub).

It includes a recipe for a hallucinogenic beer made with Henbane. Apparently this was the "original" pilsner?! I may have to try this, just need to source some Henbane....

http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/alcohol/alcohol_brew.shtml

• 2 weeks later...

I went to my first local home brew guild meeting last night. I'd met a couple of people that were members randomly around town at different bars/beer events and they all told me to check it out. It ended up being way cooler than I expected, and since it was the first meeting of the new year there were many other noobs like me, including one guy I talk to at the liquor store all the time. Tons of homebrew was shared, we had a barleywine tasting of 4 different barleywines, and I met a lot of cool people while drinking and talking beer/brewing.

If you have a home brew club/guild I'd suggest checking it out! Mine does cooperative grain buys so you can get it really cheap, they also have equipment and a library that members can use.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey, glad you enjoyed man. I thought it was pretty good, but I know how I'm gonna do it different next time to make it better. The age on it may have changed it by now though, it's been 4 months. I have one bottle left I plan on drinking on its 6th month. We've yet to try your wine, but I already told the gf next time we have some red pasta we're going to drink it.

I'm sitting on 8 bombers of the eggnog stout still, and we're drinking on Graf. I just put a Witbier (the second version of the hefe I did, just changed to a more appropriate style name) into bottles a week ago. I brewed an all Palisade hopped pale ale tonight and I brewed another Black IPA on the 20th.

• 2 weeks later...

Just racked some blueberry mead and started a batch of what will eventually become a couple bottles of super-cinnamon mead and a few bottles of chocolate.

I let it sit for about 20-30 minutes before pouring. Very tasty with nice fruitiness up front and spice at the end. Complemented the meal very well, and I'm not even a "wine person". This was by far the best red wine I've ever had (I've only had a few others, no idea on the names, supplied by friends/family). Big ups from a fellow brewer on a quality product man! Let me know if you're interested in working out another trade in the future :wink:

CVyj9.jpg

Archived