IGNORED

Board Game Discussion

murve33

6 hours ago, Soloman Tump said:

We have it, have only played 2 player with the missus and found it a bit clumsy.  Probably way better with 3-4 players.  Need friends.

Still hit carcassonne sometimes

We did it with like 6 people. Seems like it's designed for at least four.

On 7/12/2019 at 4:48 PM, Braintree said:

We did it with like 6 people. Seems like it's designed for at least four.

Well the box says 2+ that's why we got it. The mechanics feel more suited to 3+ but I imagine it's still crazy hard

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Been Digging - https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/163412/patchwork w/ the lady. It's great little 2-player game with interesting choices but with extremely simple rules and a casual feel. You're making a quilt and trying to score big.

Ordered a copy of Brass: Birmingham to see what all the hype is about. Looks real good.

• Like 1

I read some reviews about Dune and it seems like it's a very involved game that rewards a high player count and involved players that don't shy away from cutthroat gameplay and rules overhead.

I myself gravitate towards lighter games lately. I can't over-recommend Wavelenght, which is basically what I love the most about board games: it makes use of imagination of players and it sprawls very interesting conversations. Its premise is very similar to Codenames - there are 2 teams and one person in a team has information that others don't, so he must give them a clue that will guide them towards the correct solution.

Tom Vasel described it the best:

The 7th Continent

spacer.png

"It's the early 20th century. You have decided to sail back to the newly discovered seventh continent to attempt to lift the terrible curse that has struck you since your return from the previous expedition.
In The 7th Continent, a solo or cooperative "choose-your-own-adventure" exploration board game, you choose a character and begin your adventure on your own or with a team of other explorers.
Inspired by the Fighting Fantasy book series, you will discover the extent of this wild new land through a variety of terrain and event cards. In a land fraught with danger and wonders, you have to use every ounce of wit and cunning to survive, crafting tools, weapons, and shelter to ensure your survival.
Unlike most board games, it will take you many, MANY hours of exploring and searching the seventh continent until you eventually discover how to remove the curse(s)...or die trying.
The 7th Continent features an easy saving system so that you can stop playing at any time and resume your adventure later on, just like in a video game!"

The best board game I've ever played.
It has everything I want in a game: Cooperative, Adventure, Exploration, Survival, Story, Replay-ability, Role-Playing, Decision-making, Reading, Talking, Accessible, Simple Rules, Short Setup-time, Drop-in Drop-out, Imaginative, Good-looking, Atmosphere,...
I bought the cheaper (only 60  incl shipping) retail edition at: https://shop.seriouspoulp.com/?utm_source=seriouspoulp&utm_medium=menu_t7c&utm_content=shop
Highly recommended! ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, I already posted this in the Coronavirus thread a couple of days ago, but it got swept up by the intesity of the thread and since it's a board game, I'll also post it here.

Anyway, I came up with a game called Coronaline, which was made out of self-isolation boredom/for eliminating said boredom for as many people as possible. It's fun and simple and you only need a paper, a pencil and 2 marker pens. And a friend in person, even though people also play it over FB Messenger.

Check out the simple instructions here:

https://imgur.com/a/YqfmPUL

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 2/26/2020 at 2:29 PM, MaartenVC said:

The 7th Continent

spacer.png

"It's the early 20th century. You have decided to sail back to the newly discovered seventh continent to attempt to lift the terrible curse that has struck you since your return from the previous expedition.
In The 7th Continent, a solo or cooperative "choose-your-own-adventure" exploration board game, you choose a character and begin your adventure on your own or with a team of other explorers.
Inspired by the Fighting Fantasy book series, you will discover the extent of this wild new land through a variety of terrain and event cards. In a land fraught with danger and wonders, you have to use every ounce of wit and cunning to survive, crafting tools, weapons, and shelter to ensure your survival.
Unlike most board games, it will take you many, MANY hours of exploring and searching the seventh continent until you eventually discover how to remove the curse(s)...or die trying.
The 7th Continent features an easy saving system so that you can stop playing at any time and resume your adventure later on, just like in a video game!"

It has everything I want in a game: Cooperative, Adventure, Exploration, Survival, Story, Replay-ability, Role-Playing, Decision-making, Reading, Talking, Accessible, Simple Rules, Short Setup-time, Drop-in Drop-out, Imaginative, Good-looking, Atmosphere,...
I bought the cheaper (only 60  incl shipping) retail edition at: https://shop.seriouspoulp.com/?utm_source=seriouspoulp&utm_medium=menu_t7c&utm_content=shop

So as a result of this post I bought a copy and played it for a while tonight. It’s quite interesting, though in my first run I stepped on sea urchins and got poisoned, plunged off a cliff, narrowly escaped getting eaten by sharks only to get beaten up by an octopus before finally drowning.

So no need to use the save feature.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, rhmilo said:

So as a result of this post I bought a copy and played it for a while tonight. It’s quite interesting, though in my first run I stepped on sea urchins and got poisoned, plunged off a cliff, narrowly escaped getting eaten by sharks only to get beaten up by an octopus before finally drowning.

So no need to use the save feature.

It's quite a harsh game yeah. ^^
Death lurks everywhere.
But once you get the hang of hunting and choosing the right items it gets doable.

On 2/26/2020 at 1:29 PM, MaartenVC said:

The 7th Continent

So I have been pondering over purchasing this for a long while.  "lockdown" never really happened for me - I managed to keep working throughout - otherwise I think I may have invested by now.  Considering this as a Christmas gift for us, with the added bonus of being solo as well.

• Like 1

The makers of The 7th Continent are designing a new board game called "The 7th Citadel".
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/286063/7th-citadel

It's on kickstarter right now. There's only 9 days left to back it / pre-order it.
It's a 69€ pledge. So a good deal imo. But it's a long wait.
The game will not be released until mid-2022.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/seriouspoulp/the-7th-citadel-explore-build-you-are-the-hero
But I'm sure the game will also be available for sale on the Serious Poulp website in 2022 or 2023.

The new game seems to be very much like the old one, but with a different setting, with some gameplay-changes and additions.
There are already some prototype-reviews out if you're on the fence.
I'm not yet sure myself if I'll back it.

"The 7th Citadel carries over the best aspects of The 7th Continent: huge territory to explore, hidden numbers to spot, botany, etc. However, many changes make it a brand new game:

•     an original post-apocalyptic medieval fantasy universe to discover,
  •     survival (crafting, hunting, "die & retry") is no longer the heart of the game,
  •     customize your personal Action Deck, choosing the skills you want to make your character unique,
  •     interact with the many inhabitants of these lands thanks to a dynamic dialogue system,
  •     expand your influence on the Collapsing Lands by updating the world map,
  •     return to your Citadel between scenarios...
  •     …where you are building a city that will signal the renewal of this desolate world!"

spacer.png

Edited by MaartenVC
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Soloman Tump said:

Oh damn, thats very tempting.  I watched the hype video and it's hooked me in.  Can I wait 18 months? Yeah... sure!

Oh, I didn't see there are additional shipping costs for The 7th Continent Kickstarter Collectors Edition.
That would be an extra 18€ to 20€ for me. ? Hmmm.
Which is weird, cause for The 7th Continent Classic Edition I didn't have to pay any shipping costs...
Maybe I'll wait for
The 7th Continent Classic Edition which they'll probably sell on their website in 2023, hoping there won't be shipping costs for me...

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, WATMM! I'm working on a new project.

Lineon is a book of paper-and-pen puzzles for one player. It differentiates itself from other similar puzzles like Sudoku, Sprouts or Bridges by telling a story. Lineon puzzles tell of frantic battles, lethal chases and of scattered dreams. All is told by just drawing lines between points.

I'm currently on version 0.2. I decided to share Lineon at this point, since I want to break my teeth at people's opinions and improve the system, upgrade it (or trash it, if it unsolvable stinks!). 0.2 version contains 20 puzzles - you can find everything in the PDF:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h39c4s7vi5ixt5i/lineon_v0_2.pdf?dl=0

It's in english, but I'm not a native speaker, so expect a lot of mistakes. I hope you will still be able to understand the rules ?

Thank you very much! Be safe in these trying times!

c74abxfwy9x51.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

pq2sw0gwy9x51.jpg?width=4096&format=pjpg

r2vikxfwy9x51.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&ab5uh2yfwy9x51.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

• Like 2

On 11/4/2020 at 9:45 PM, Dpek said:

Hi, WATMM! I'm working on a new project.

Lineon is a book of paper-and-pen puzzles for one player. It differentiates itself from other similar puzzles like Sudoku, Sprouts or Bridges by telling a story. Lineon puzzles tell of frantic battles, lethal chases and of scattered dreams. All is told by just drawing lines between points.

I'm currently on version 0.2. I decided to share Lineon at this point, since I want to break my teeth at people's opinions and improve the system, upgrade it (or trash it, if it unsolvable stinks!). 0.2 version contains 20 puzzles - you can find everything in the PDF:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h39c4s7vi5ixt5i/lineon_v0_2.pdf?dl=0

It's in english, but I'm not a native speaker, so expect a lot of mistakes. I hope you will still be able to understand the rules ?

Thank you very much! Be safe in these trying times!

c74abxfwy9x51.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

pq2sw0gwy9x51.jpg?width=4096&format=pjpg

r2vikxfwy9x51.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&ab5uh2yfwy9x51.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

I forgot to reply... this is a really interesting idea! I love how the story unfolds in the start of the book.

But I must admit I haven't got my head around all the rules yet.

I would definitely prefer this as a book rather than a .pdf

So maybe I will print it out...

5 hours ago, Soloman Tump said:

I forgot to reply... this is a really interesting idea! I love how the story unfolds in the start of the book.

But I must admit I haven't got my head around all the rules yet.

I would definitely prefer this as a book rather than a .pdf

So maybe I will print it out...

Yooooo, thanks!

Yes, I've got quite a lot of feedback about how I should gradually introduce new rules as you're solving these puzzles. So expect to be able to consume the rules in a more relaxed manner in the next version. But you're more than welcome to try the game out now ? More feedback means a better version later!

1 hour ago, Dpek said:

Yooooo, thanks!

Yes, I've got quite a lot of feedback about how I should gradually introduce new rules as you're solving these puzzles. So expect to be able to consume the rules in a more relaxed manner in the next version. But you're more than welcome to try the game out now ? More feedback means a better version later!

It does feels like a wall of instructions.  Gradual introduction makes much more sense! I printed it out on the work computer whilst alone in the office today - something to play around with at the weekend ?

• 1 month later...

pic3937056.jpg

Had to spend a voucher on something and came across this. Players are stuck in a mall (you know, one of those buildings with shops - places that sell stuff you can then take with you instead of waiting for the delivery service to bring it to your house) that is overrun with zombies. Every turn one of the players tries to work towards a goal that should lead to their winning the game and then the number of zombies increases. Then the next player takes a turn, more zombies appear, etc. Can be played coop, competetive and solo and if you want an extra player can be in charge of the zombies.

The game just came in and I played a quick solo run this morning. It's a bit finicky to set up but once you're going the pace is quite good. I *almost* managed to escape the mall before it was overrun with zombies.

• 7 months later...

The missus and I treated ourselves to a copy of Paleo, a two person cooperative game (these work best for us) that has you hunt mammoths, build stone spears and escape caves. Rules are on the difficult side of missus-proof,  but doable. Harshness is right at our level (perpetual noobs) so when we won we felt like we accomplished something (and it was exciting). If you’re a hardcore board game nerd, it’ll probably be too easy, though.

8E276F11-ED5F-4065-8736-FFC6F664FFD6.jpeg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

The classic 1980s Call of Cthulhu tabletop RPG game being remastered on Kickstarter:

Nice timely reissue that. Recently flogged a load of my old late 90s cthulhu books that's were gathering dust in my parents attic. Looks like I timed it just right 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chronical said:

My favorite board game is the Board Of Canada where you take 5-8 years per turn

if i remember correctly there are different versions of the game

that's why its known in some circles as Boards of Canada