IGNORED

Board Game Discussion

murve33

PANDEMIC

really fun 4-person coop game. pretty hard to win. they had my wife and I at "Includes 96 Disease Cubes"

pandemicMap.jpg

brb *nominates Disease Cubes for idm

I've always been intrigued by Pandemic but I don't have that many nerd friends, can it be played one on one?

I'd like somewhere to play Android online too, it's proving hard to find players in the grim real world.

Yeah, you can do it 2-player, but it's still co-op. It's actually harder with fewer players because you play fewer roles, though I guess you could just each play two characters.

There's also an expansion where you can be a bio-terrorist if that's more your thing.

Speaking of childhood, these come to mind..

Hero Quest

HeroQuest_Boardgame.jpg

Space Crusade

1367066573528.jpg

Fact, hero quest was made my games workshop which is why it's similar to warhammer

Used to spend forever playing Heroquest and Space Crusade.

Then got into Space Hulk (which was basically Aliens: The board game)

space-hulk-boardgame.jpg

And also played Talisman for a while, but not as much as Space Hulk.

talisman-board-game-2.jpg

There is a fairly nifty Android App version of Talisman that cost me about £4 to download. Very true to the board game (its fully licensed) and has been bringing back a few fond memories.

Edited by fletcher

• 3 months later...

Heading for the Carcassonne national tournament this Sunday... Really slim chances of doing well as the rules are HARSH (1st round = 100 people, 2nd round = only 8 people out of those 100) but it should be fun

• 1 year later...
Guest bitroast

racking my brain as to what to grab next.. ( i know i could go to a board games place and play some but i'm also a bit of a stickler for playing the games at home with beers and etc. :^) and tunes and just chilling the fuck out until ~4am.. so playing games at a shop or whatever is fine but it's a bit of an entirely different experience.)

currently Settlers is still our favourite go to game. 

i know it's bordering on not cool in the board game community cos of its element of chance and high bullshit factor, but i also think that plays a big part into the fun factor. it's like a box of human catnip. you know opening it will result in high tensions and pissed off anger and people screaming and ridiculousness. plus strategising against the high level of  chance is kind of funny and makes replaying it a lot of fun. it's a weird one. sometimes i hate the game but mostly we still love playing it. 

also have ticket to ride original, which is a lot of fun .. but also holy shit for some reason i find that game so stressful. there's something about trying to build up supply of playable cards per every round + not knowing what other people are up to and when they're going to start attacking, or if they're even going in the direction of a route or just laying shit down to fuck with you and throw you off course. it's kind of funny but every time i play it it just puts me in the most hardcore "oh god what's gonna happen i need to play smart oh fuck" mood. 

also have puerto rico. which is fun. but the level of head butting in this one is a bit more obscure and not as immediate and LOUD as what can happen in catan or ticket. it's more of a quiet, can't-talk-now-thinking-is-happening kind of game. 

so anyway. any suggestions on more games would be welcome. 

i like games that are simple but also diverse and open to lots of options and possibilities. and also have lots of potential for head butting and evil player-vs-player fuckery. and allows room for strategy ??? 

carcassone looks fun and simple so considering that one. 

have played Small world once but also feel like the level of randomness that is at play with the different roles is a bit too diverse. it's like, i'd prefer something a bit more simple and straightforward and something that relies on smart strategy. level playing field style. 

Pandemic is fun, my wife and I have a variation that turns it into a faster paced dice game... Pandemic: The Cure

We've been playing one called Lords of Waterdeep lately... it's pretty fun
waterdeep.jpg

so anyway. any suggestions on more games would be welcome. 

i like games that are simple but also diverse and open to lots of options and possibilities. and also have lots of potential for head butting and evil player-vs-player fuckery. and allows room for strategy ???

Haven't played it yet, but I've been thinking of Terra Mystica. It sounds like the menacing cousin of Settlers.

Several races with different abilities and strengths always makes bortgayms better. Simple rules but designed for deep strategy. The area control / turf war element relies on tight economy, so choices you make for developing territory must be meaningful acts of headbutting. It's high priority on games I want to try.

I also played Lords of Waterdeep recently. Really fun (And I won :rhubear1: )! It's a lot less stressful than Agricola and slightly more interactive, which is not common enough among worker placement games. It made me want to trade in my copy of Agricola for something else...

Guest bitroast

mmmm nice. thanks.

waterdeep has me interested but i'm a bit put off on the idea of lots of unique cards with chunks of text.

gf and I picked up Jaipur the other day - two player head-to-head trading/market game. Exceptionally simple to learn and setup, but has enough depth to keep each game's strategy interesting. Highly recommended as a "couple's game".

we've been looking at something more complex like Pathfinder or Pandemic but not sure how much we'll get out of them with just two people, similar position as tec, not a large amount of nerdy inclined friends.

Betrayal at House on the Hill is good, Boss Monster is also deece. I have too board games I have never played.

wife loves betrayal but we rarely have enough people together who're into boardgames to play. it's fun but it sucks having to explain the thing to new people every time. i got her the new expansion for her birthday (even though we've not nearly completed all the scenarios).

we also like playing hanabi a lot. it's a coop card game and is pretty stressful but gets easier when you've played with the same group of people a few times. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanabi_(card_game)

it's easier to play with the tile set (deluxe version?) than cards we've found

51tQM1c%2BTHL.jpg

mmmm nice. thanks.

waterdeep has me interested but i'm a bit put off on the idea of lots of unique cards with chunks of text.

a lot of it is just flavor text, the game itself really isn't overly complex

Board games are a pest and everyone who tries to talk others into an hour long boring board game and torture them by their fun should be killed right away

This is why my game of thrones board game will never be played, amongst others. I wish I had the friends and the patience to play it without feeling guilty but I don't.

• 2 years later...
On 3/2/2015 at 10:38 AM, Guest A/D said:

PANDEMIC

really fun 4-person coop game. pretty hard to win. they had my wife and I at "Includes 96 Disease Cubes"

pandemicMap.jpg

brb *nominates Disease Cubes for idm

Pandemic is awesome.

8 hours ago, Braintree said:

Pandemic is awesome.

We have it, have only played 2 player with the missus and found it a bit clumsy.  Probably way better with 3-4 players.  Need friends.

Still hit carcassonne sometimes