IGNORED

Boards of Canada Typography

Guest hayesj23

I thought quaristice was either helvetica neue or univers.

i was sure that someone on here figured out that it was a slight custom job. slight differences here and there.

i'm not searching through the threads though, fuck that.

edit: i've just looked at reference images of Helvetica Neue and Univers - definitely different, the lower case a's are different. was sure there was something different about the uppercase Q, and the lower case e's also.

There's a large typography forum called "what the font?" I discovered while trying to find the font used on the Silence of the Lambs poster for my design project (turns out it's a custom job), they might know which font was used on the BoC albums...

• 1 year later...

The font list.

Catalog 3: Possibly Impact (found this out by myself)

Play by numbers: Possibly normal Arial (found this out by myself)

Hi Scores: Courier or Courier new (found this out by myself)

Boc maxima: Eurostyle (thanks Joyrex)

MHTRTC: Bauhaus (found out on wiki)

Geogaddi: VAG Rounded Bold ( thanks ZoeB

TCHP: BoC font: Strasua. ( found out on the wiki) Title font: ???

Tomorrow's harvest: Arial Black (found this out by myself)

lets find the rest!

i was sure that someone on here figured out that it was a slight custom job. slight differences here and there.

edit: i've just looked at reference images of Helvetica Neue and Univers - definitely different, the lower case a's are different. was sure there was something different about the uppercase Q, and the lower case e's also.

The Quaristice font is Akzidenz Grotesk Bold Condensed Italic.

That's the one!

Tomorrow's Harvest font is not Arial Black.

Well it looks a lot like it to me

as jules has already said, if you're a designer and you use any form of Arial, someone needs to be shot.

+1

So... whats the Trans Canada Highway verdict then?

Harry Obese with a few mods to it or what?

i can't figure it out, it does look like its an actual font with no mods, the 'B' is too good

BOC can't afford mods ffs

+1

So... whats the Trans Canada Highway verdict then?

Harry Obese with a few mods to it or what?

i can't figure it out, it does look like its an actual font with no mods, the 'B' is too good

BOC can't afford mods ffs

Trans Canada Highway is most likely a custom job, considering the cover is modeled after a Ford 500 instruction manual:

1977dodge_instruction_manual.jpg

credit: BocPages

Hmm... now in looking at it, I wonder what font it is... it's obviously not off the manual's fonts.

And don't underestimate BoC's design skills... they have a whole host of creatives and remember, these guys were doing their own DIY covers and J-cards for their pre-label releases...

Hmm... now in looking at it, I wonder what font it is... it's obviously not off the manual's fonts.

And don't underestimate BoC's design skills... they have a whole host of creatives and remember, these guys were doing their own DIY covers and J-cards for their pre-label releases...

it seems to be based on Harry Obese http://www.identifont.com/show?7NW which is based on another from VGC circa 70s, that another is another puzzle. it just seemed unlikely to me that they or the designer went out of their own way to modify it, they never done it before for a commerical release, plus well... its just an ep. i still think theres a font for it somewhere, perhaps that VGC one that doesnt seem to be released, could have been taken from an old spec book of theirs, scanned and re-drawn but that doesnt mean 'modified'.

it seems to be based on Harry Obese http://www.identifont.com/show?7NW which is based on another from VGC circa 70s, that another is another puzzle. it just seemed unlikely to me that they or the designer went out of their own way to modify it, they never done it before for a commerical release, plus well... its just an ep. i still think theres a font for it somewhere, perhaps that VGC one that doesnt seem to be released, could have been taken from an old spec book of theirs, scanned and re-drawn but that doesnt mean 'modified'.

I have the vinyl right in front of me... the "B" is weird... if they did modify it, they just did the "B" to look like the "R" in the sense none of the letters "connect" except for the "A"... I reckon too they wouldn't have gone through the effort as it's a very subtle modification.

How do you see page 205? I see tiny thumbnails.

Oh, I see - no, I don't think it's Modula either... the "B" is wrong.

How do you see page 205? I see tiny thumbnails.

Oh, I see - no, I don't think it's Modula either... the "B" is wrong.

ah sorry, this guy was referring to Phil's Homage To The Alphabet catalog p 205 where theres a sample of it, not sure if he's referring to a sample of the original VGC 70s font (might have been called Blotto Black) or the Harry Obese from 1997.

http://typophile.com/node/36375

http://typophile.com/node/37009

http://www.identifont.com/show?7NW

the original design may have that same 'B' and 'S' as TCH, its possible as it says there that Harry Obese is 'based on'

its such a rare book albeit several editions so can't check

ah i see now on the typophile page, the Phil's Homage To The Alphabet shows the same 90s one, Harry Obese.

So yes its the old VGC Alphabet Library book i first linked that may show it.

• 4 weeks later...

the font on tomorrow's harvest (avant garde) is also on in a in a beautiful place...

all caps and heavy/bold on th, all lower case and tracked in on iabpoitc

Archived