Why should every movie require the audience to be deep in thought, analyzing every scene composition and action of the characters? Sometimes we just want to see some shit blow up, look cool, and laugh.

Comparing The Avengers to fucking 2001... Get real man. While we're at it let's compare Justin Bieber and Coltrane... OMG BIEBER IS SHIT HOW CAN ANYONE LISTEN?!?!?!?!? :RAGEFACE:

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i forgot to mention, i got a very pleasurable 'asian' or even indian flavor out of this movie, almost like what would a group of asian filmmakers do with a budget of 200 million for a super hero movie. It's relationship to the american movie schema (besides the 3rd act transformers like CGI fest) was almost non existent. We need more just over the top big budget movies like this in general

lol and I thought I was cynical.

Why would anyone pay to watch this movie if they weren't expecting a popcorn mindless movie... I just don't understand the thought process to leave a film like this so worked up and angry.

Haha. No, let me explain myself. I'm not really angry, there is hopefully a slight sense of humor running beneath my posts.

Mostly what makes me angry is reading Rotten Tomatoes and seeing how anyone giving the film a negative review gets a bunch of hate sent their way...."kill yourself" etc. I mean, it's that way for a lot of hyped movies.

It's just that I think people who don't like the film should be able to say so. I don't like the trend of mindlessness in "Action/popcorn/entertainment" that has slowly become totally acceptable, even cherished and celebrated, to everyone. I don't think this movie rises above that mindlessness. Ironman for me is the epitome of the post 9-11 stupidity and apathy. Independence Day, Yay. Iron Man, nay. At least one has Jeff Goldblum being hilarious and innovative/iconic scenes of New York being blown up. Iron Man literally had nothing going for it, is not a classic, is completely unmemorable, yet it was treated as if it was something special by all the critics, and then the audiences.

But it's just opinion. I haven't even seen this movie and I'm never going to, period. I stopped watching these kinds of films after Transformers, which I knew was terrible every second while watching it, but which everyone back then claimed was "awesome/cool" etc... of course now the franchise is considered an embarrassment. I don't like the bandwagon of people who have to hype something and anyone who doesn't like it is weird, pretentious. It becomes personal, and reflects a sort of fascist attitude. I think this movie is garbage, and I am saying it here. I am turning the hyperbole on it's head, where some are inclined to say "FAVORITE/BEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE" I will say the opposite, "IT IS SHIT." who is to stop me? well, the fanboys, probably. The fanboys... everyone is a fanboy these days, it's no longer just a nerd thing.

Like I said, I haven't seen it, but I already know exactly what it's like, what the experience of sitting through it would feel like, and how the script and acting would make me feel inside during every passing minute of the experience. Without question the film would conjure identical emotions to the experience of sitting through Iron Man a few years back: boredom, tedium, emptiness, soullessness, colorless droning CGI, droning tiresome action scenes, and cynical, supposedly "witty" dialogue that really is just so-so and sometimes disgusting, with blaring generic music telling me how to feel, with a story arc that is 100% predictable. I fail to see how that is entertainment, I really do. I don't get it. I literally have no ability to understand how that could be entertaining. Entertainment is something that needs to at least target a part of my mind that can figure it out, or stimulate part of the mind. Explosions are just that, I can go on youtube for that shit. So at a certain point I believe the entire idea of ENTERTAINMENT is nothing more than mass-conformity to an idea of what is cool to like.

That said, I've said my part, I'm down with other people liking popcorn, and I'll lighten up about it. It is just a movie after all, and definitely fun. I'd like to see better movies coming out though, with scenes that are actually memorable.

Sometimes we just want to see some shit blow up, look cool, and laugh.

why?

Comparing The Avengers to fucking 2001... Get real man. While we're at it let's compare Justin Bieber and Coltrane... OMG BIEBER IS SHIT HOW CAN ANYONE LISTEN?!?!?!?!? :RAGEFACE:

my quote was that Avengers makes Avatar look like 2001.

what I'm saying is that Avatar, already a pretty 'decent' film, was made to look like a masterpiece in comparison, while Avengers has been repeatedly refered to as one of the greatest comic book movies ever. my analogy makes sense.

Also, your response with Bieber basically says that Avengers is the Bieber of film. I don't disagree, in that if you do not like Bieber than you do not like Avengers, because they are both of the same quality, except nobody I respect is saying Bieber is one of the greatest musicians of all time...

hey guys don't fight, as I already stated pages ago, every single new superhero movie is the best and greatest comic book movie yet.

lol and I thought I was cynical.

Why would anyone pay to watch this movie if they weren't expecting a popcorn mindless movie... I just don't understand the thought process to leave a film like this so worked up and angry.

Haha. No, let me explain myself. I'm not really angry, there is hopefully a slight sense of humor running beneath my posts.

Mostly what makes me angry is reading Rotten Tomatoes and seeing how anyone giving the film a negative review gets a bunch of hate sent their way...."kill yourself" etc. I mean, it's that way for a lot of hyped movies.

It's just that I think people who don't like the film should be able to say so. I don't like the trend of mindlessness in "Action/popcorn/entertainment" that has slowly become totally acceptable, even cherished and celebrated, to everyone. I don't think this movie rises above that mindlessness. Ironman for me is the epitome of the post 9-11 stupidity and apathy. Independence Day, Yay. Iron Man, nay. At least one has Jeff Goldblum being hilarious and innovative/iconic scenes of New York being blown up. Iron Man literally had nothing going for it, is not a classic, is completely unmemorable, yet it was treated as if it was something special by all the critics, and then the audiences.

But it's just opinion. I haven't even seen this movie and I'm never going to, period. I stopped watching these kinds of films after Transformers, which I knew was terrible every second while watching it, but which everyone back then claimed was "awesome/cool" etc... of course now the franchise is considered an embarrassment. I don't like the bandwagon of people who have to hype something and anyone who doesn't like it is weird, pretentious. It becomes personal, and reflects a sort of fascist attitude. I think this movie is garbage, and I am saying it here. I am turning the hyperbole on it's head, where some are inclined to say "FAVORITE/BEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE" I will say the opposite, "IT IS SHIT." who is to stop me? well, the fanboys, probably. The fanboys... everyone is a fanboy these days, it's no longer just a nerd thing.

Like I said, I haven't seen it, but I already know exactly what it's like, what the experience of sitting through it would feel like, and how the script and acting would make me feel inside during every passing minute of the experience. Without question the film would conjure identical emotions to the experience of sitting through Iron Man a few years back: boredom, tedium, emptiness, soullessness, colorless droning CGI, droning tiresome action scenes, and cynical, supposedly "witty" dialogue that really is just so-so and sometimes disgusting, with blaring generic music telling me how to feel, with a story arc that is 100% predictable. I fail to see how that is entertainment, I really do. I don't get it. I literally have no ability to understand how that could be entertaining. Entertainment is something that needs to at least target a part of my mind that can figure it out, or stimulate part of the mind. Explosions are just that, I can go on youtube for that shit. So at a certain point I believe the entire idea of ENTERTAINMENT is nothing more than mass-conformity to an idea of what is cool to like.

That said, I've said my part, I'm down with other people liking popcorn, and I'll lighten up about it. It is just a movie after all, and definitely fun. I'd like to see better movies coming out though, with scenes that are actually memorable.

So you are writing a few pages on a film you haven't even seen and are angry at people who reject negative criticisms on the internets? In all this thinking and time you probably could have watched a really good film.

Comparing it to Transformers only solidifies how pretentious your view on this is.

I'm never going to see this movie, because I've come to realize these kind of movies cause brain damage and don't entertain me in the least, and I'm not lying or being pretentious, I'm being 100% honest. I have never been entertained by these movies. I've always seen them as predictable and horrifically boring, I could sleep through them if they weren't so loud. If people see that as pretentious, well that's on them because I'm telling the truth. For me these movies have the same entertainment value as watching a single 30 second gif of an explosion for 2 hours straight. If that isn't entertaining [which it isn't, for anybody] then these movies are not entertaining.

Watching a 30 second gif of an explosion is not the same at all compared to graphically composed action sequences that are well designed. Cameron is a master at this and the Avengers did a pretty amazing job as well I thought, much better than Transformers. So although the story doesn't stimulate brain cells, my neurons were firing off during this film... claiming it causes brain damage is akin to saying any visual art that is purely graphical causes brain damage.

Guest cult fiction

I'm never going to see this movie, because I've come to realize these kind of movies cause brain damage and don't entertain me in the least, and I'm not lying or being pretentious, I'm being 100% honest. I have never been entertained by these movies. I've always seen them as predictable and horrifically boring, I could sleep through them if they weren't so loud. If people see that as pretentious, well that's on them because I'm telling the truth. For me these movies have the same entertainment value as watching a single 30 second gif of an explosion for 2 hours straight. If that isn't entertaining [which it isn't, for anybody] then these movies are not entertaining.

http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3p9qne/

vamos is on point here guys. And his post made me realize I'm simply not entertained by these movies. I'd much rather see Shoenice chug a bottle of Butterworth's in under a minute on YouTube because it's simple novelty. I have never seen anyone do that before. I had seen the Avengers before I even walked into the theater. Same with Dark Knight, or Inception. Actually Avengers has the hilarious distinction of actually representing what I'm talking about in its very nature. Its entire scheme is to repeat the last 5 movies, with the same characters.

And frankly I'm not that concerned with the explosions. I knew there were going to be stock explosions that would bore me, I've made peace with that. What Whedon and Penn should be lampooned for is the atrocious writing and story outline! Just because it's a so-called "popcorn movie" doesn't mean you get to forget about writing a good script that tries to convey some sense of emotion. Or it shouldn't be. And furthermore they shouldn't be praised relentlessly for it! Jurassic Park was a HUGE popcorn movie with HUGE special effects that still took the time to create a script and characters that had a sense of motivation and that the audience could feel compassion for. Popcorn movie and a well-written script are not mutually exclusive; I don't understand why people throw that around as an excuse.

To be fair I did get my new favorite quote from Avengers. I've had so much fun yelling "DO I LOOK TO BE IN A GAMING MOOD" ala Thor to everyone who approacheth

No one (on watmm) is saying this is the best popcorn action film or even close. All I said earlier was that it was one of the better live action comic book movies I have seen recently. I typically hate live action comic book movies so thats not even saying a whole lot. Dr. Lopez, you said you have realized you are not entertained by these movies anymore... yet you paid to go watch this? Seems you are upset by your own mistake and instead of leaving it at that, you are claiming others are making excuses for the film. This is an absurd acquisition considering there would be no real reason for cynical watmmers to "pretend" to enjoy something. The only explanation for this kind of critical analysis of subjective viewpoints is some kind of superiority complex. I mean, really give it a rest. Some of us had a fun time during it. Totally cool if you didn't but this whole conversation is getting ridiculous at this point.

Bringing up Jurassic Park, is akin to bringing up 2001 to contrast every science fiction film. It's an irrelevant comparison and practically zero films reach its heights. Not to mention the whole culture of comparing every new thing to the best of the past is a terrible way to approach new art in my opinion. You'll never get anything out of the experience if your expectations are that high. Not to mention you might miss a lot of valuable experiences when your perspective on what's "good" is so focused and narrow.

You're right And that thing of watching just for mindless fun and popcorn is just senseless. I personally can't enjoy watching unironical cheesy lines and lame-ass scripts put to action supported by million dollar special FX teams. Why would you? There's nothing to take from it. It's a waste of time, watch something else. I can't believe someone here would purposedly go to the movies to pay for this shit. And no, I didn't watch the film, only the trailer and I don't need to see it all to know it's shit, the sole trailer aldready gave me that impression and most comments here confirm it.

I'm frankly getting tired of critical analysis when its so focused on making art a competition. Why can't films or albums be just appreciated for what they are... even if they aren't very consistent or good. If the point of analyzing is to have a deeper understanding of why you liked something, to perhaps use for influence in your own art, then comparisons only serve an external purpose. It's the pitchfork culture. You aren't really thinking about the film, you are just trying to join a "team" or a "numerical" range... to ensure the world knows that you are one of the cool kids.

Complaining about mindless fun is amazing. Do you guys not like riding on ATVs or Jet Skis? What about rollercoasters? I also assume none of you drink alcohol or do any form of drugs.

To me this is the same as listening to a lady gaga/rihanna/whatever is in fahsion right now.

Complete superficial and dishonest over-produced shit.

I'm frankly getting tired of critical analysis when its so focused on making art a competition. Why can't films or albums be just appreciated for what they are... even if they aren't very consistent or good. If the point of analyzing is to have a deeper understanding of why you liked something, to perhaps use for influence in your own art, then comparisons only serve an external purpose. It's the pitchfork culture. You aren't really thinking about the film, you are just trying to join a "team" or a "numerical" range... to ensure the world knows that you are one of the cool kids.

Why can't we just have an opinion like you do? Are your feelings hurt? Did this movie remind you of when you were a little kid that read comic books? Or do you still read them?

Also thank you for this highly educational conversation. I am learning so much. Definitely a better use of my time than some boring mindless fun.

Atleast we're getting involved and using our brain. Plus, I didn't pay for it and i can do other stuff at the same time.

To me this is the same as listening to a lady gaga/rihanna/whatever is in fahsion right now.

Complete superficial and dishonest over-produced shit.

Who cares what is in fashion. You spend all this energy hating on things that could be irrelevant to you. Yet you bring them into your world of intellectually stimulating topics.

Why can't we just have an opinion like you do? Are your feelings hurt? Did this movie remind you of when you were a little kid that read comic books? Or do you still read them?

Because this attitude is all over the internet and I am tired of it. I will not stand for this bullshit anymore. Don't misrepresent my point either. I have no problem with subjective differences, I have a problem with subjective differences that accuse other subjective viewpoints as dishonest.

:facepalm: That was an example. I rest my case.

Can't argue with fanboys.

Hating on a film you haven't even seen, is a waste of time.

Critical analysis is important, but its a personal observation. Getting involved with the psychology of what other people think and whatnot is going beyond what is necessary. It serves no purpose other than to advertise your elitism.

:facepalm: That was an example. I rest my case.

Can't argue with fanboys.

Hating on a film you haven't even seen, is a waste of time.

Because you're doing the exact opposite right? :facepalm:

I'm not even hating I gave my opinion on a type of films that has existed for decades but has gotten even worse nowdays.

Either way, keep on doing your thing. I won't argue with fanboys.

I accused the film as dishonest not you. Riahnna fangilrs also trully enjoy her music.

Get a grip.

You seem to have difficulty following the progression of a conversation.

Why can't we just have an opinion like you do? Are your feelings hurt?

In context you included yourself with Dr. Lopez and Vamos. Lopez at the least accused fans of the Avengers as making "excuses."

Hey I actually saw the film and gave it an honest chance, I pointed out what I thought worked and what didn't. What I did find to be the most disappointing about the film however was indeed the hype that surrounded it, which is an element of any work of media that demands consideration and critique; In my mind a 93% on Rotten Tomatoes for example was completely unwarranted for this film and I expressed that, then tried to engage with others as to why that occurred.

Archived