IGNORED

Comic Books / Graphic Novels thread

Rubin Farr

Caught up with The Walking Dead, issue #100 was rough, honestly I'm starting to lose interest, Kirkunt kills too characters for shock value.

Here in Spain we only get that via trade paperbacks, I've bought all 15 and won't buy any more. Shit's boring, yo

I think I read these two pages in an edition of My Troubles With Women as well. Or somewhere else ? These drawings make me want to read more by him, I didn't know that much of his books, maybe five of them. I think my favourite one was Amerika so far

http://grantbridgestreet.blogspot.se/2011/03/dumb-by-robert-crumb.html

http://grantbridgestreet.blogspot.se/2010/07/robert-crumbs-patton.html

I think I read these two pages in an edition of My Troubles With Women as well. Or somewhere else ? These drawings make me want to read more by him, I didn't know that much of his books, maybe five of them. I think my favourite one was Amerika so far

http://grantbridgest...bert-crumb.html

http://grantbridgest...mbs-patton.html

great, this blog definitely has some Crumb I don't know ! thanks for sharing

Anyone ever read any of those Flight collections? they always catch my eye when I'm in a bookstore or comic shop because the artwork on the covers seems very well done, but other than that I don't really know much about them.

51n7cXe2ShL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Guest Roksen Creek

Nice. Expensive though... I presume.

I'm ashamed to say that I read them all in a bookshop when I was young, as I couldn't afford them.

I'll make up for it one day.

reading this atm

league_2009_cover_sm_lg.jpg

Moore might not have as much greatness as he has had in the past but this is still filled with references and story lines linked to subjects I love, so he still knows who his audience is.

woah this is already out?: I really liked the Black Dossier but for some reason i've completely lost interest in the subsequent ones, maybe his take on the present era will be more interesting. The best part of his last book was the punk rock part in the final panels

I'm ashamed to say that I read them all in a bookshop when I was young, as I couldn't afford them.

they were $160. pretty stoked.

Guest Roksen Creek

If you've yet to read them, you're in for one hell of a ride, I don't think anything can prepare you for how explosive and breathless the action is. There's not much dialogue, and considering the amount of pages, not that much happens plot wise, but the way the action is portrayed is so detailed and electric it just sucks you in. It almost feels like the panels are movie frames, but with lots more style obviously.

You can tell Akira had a big influence on Manga since.

If you've yet to read them, you're in for one hell of a ride, I don't think anything can prepare you for how explosive and breathless the action is. There's not much dialogue, and considering the amount of pages, not that much happens plot wise, but the way the action is portrayed is so detailed and electric it just sucks you in. It almost feels like the panels are movie frames, but with lots more style obviously.

You can tell Akira had a big influence on Manga since.

i have not read it... i'm looking forward to spending some r and r with them.

Anyone ever read any of those Flight collections? they always catch my eye when I'm in a bookstore or comic shop because the artwork on the covers seems very well done, but other than that I don't really know much about them.

51n7cXe2ShL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Seconded. Anyone?

SInce getting the Unearthing boxset recently I've had big Alan Moore renaissance. I though the Century books were decent, my fave being 1969 for the references to Performance and obscure Avengers characters. Black Dossier was superb though, can't beat Jeeves and Wooster Vs Cthulhu.

Recently picked up this, not found the right time to read it yet:

broughttolight.jpg

And speaking of Batman, no love for this?

arkham.jpg

Picked up Walking Dead #100 this week, man one of the main characters meets a truly gruesome death. Loved the black and white artwork.

The New Mutants story arc Fear the Future is great also, featuring the Warlock/Douglock characters, as well as an appearance from Dr Strange.

Walking Dead #100 had me pretty bummed.

I'm honestly more interested in Invincible these days rather than TWD.

arkham.jpg

I think everyone loves Arkham Asylum.

Get the Absolute edition if you can, includes the full, original script by Morrison, full of references that you probably didn't get or just didn't make it to the final book

Guest viscosity

FKrzV.jpg

I read the first one, as per my ex-girlfriends recommendation. IT was fairly good.

Just finished up Watchmen, mainstream by watmm standards, but I had never read it. I think the best part of it was Black Freighter, it was all metacomic, and it involves pirates and he rides some bloated corpses to shore. I didn't even know corpses could inflate like that, probably not even possible, should be on an episode of myth busters

arkham.jpg

I think everyone loves Arkham Asylum.

Get the Absolute edition if you can, includes the full, original script by Morrison, full of references that you probably didn't get or just didn't make it to the final book

That version is one of the best Christmas presents I ever got a few years ago. I also got the very first UK hardback edition when it came out, subsequently 'lent' it to a now cunt of an ex along with my Year One and Dark Knight Returns, never to be seen again. Some lessons really hurt.

Anyway, I'm also keen on getting these:

518BZ0KDJTL._SS500_.jpg

5118HmobkUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

the-lovecraft-anthology-vol-2-4051-0-1332255773000.jpg

One day I'll finally read Maus as well, shame on me.

Edited by Caretstik

Anyway, I'm also keen on getting these:

518BZ0KDJTL._SS500_.jpg

Oh nice, I have the full compiled works of Lovecraft (which I still need to finish, read all the essentials though) This one would be awesome, one of his best IMO

FKrzV.jpg

I read the first one, as per my ex-girlfriends recommendation. IT was fairly good.

Just finished up Watchmen, mainstream by watmm standards, but I had never read it. I think the best part of it was Black Freighter, it was all metacomic, and it involves pirates and he rides some bloated corpses to shore. I didn't even know corpses could inflate like that, probably not even possible, should be on an episode of myth busters

Yah you have to read ALL the Akira novels. I got an amazon gift card and just took the plunge for all six. NO REGRETS.

Guest viscosity

I just looked on my bookshelf, and it seems I still have her copy of the 1st book. :) Might brush up on it as it's been a while since I read it.