IGNORED

Skrillex - Discuss, Debate, Praise, Hate

YEK

Agreed, that is true. However our conversation and the perspective we're looking at is art, integrity, etc etc. From that perspective, Gmanyos logic is that Skrillex is better than what we listen to because more people listen to Skrillex.

:cerious: :cerious: :cerious:

It's a valid point.

I'd love to see anyone try to justify the 'betterness' of Aphex Twin compared to Justin Bieber, or Skrillex. Especially to the people that appreciate that music.

we couldn't accurately justify it to fans of bieber or skrillex because they aren't intelligent enough to understand the concepts apparent in good music/what makes good music good etc etc. In their paradigm, bieber et al are actually good, and they could justify it in their own way. I guess it's inevitable that elitism comes into play eventually.

It's analagous to different levels of scientific understanding, comparing the genius of Einstein to say, a regular University professor. They could both justify their level of "genius", but one is clearly better.

Again, though...it really depends on your perspective.

Is Einstein better because he made all these theories? Or is the university teacher better because he is teaching young generations?

Ultimately, regardless of what anyone thinks about any particular music or piece of art, it's all subjective.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Backson

But its not the sort of music that ever comes close to art.

Buh? How can it not be art?

unless you qualify a steaming pile of excrement as art, it's not art.

It's art. Music. Not necessarily super-original or pretentious, but that doesn't mean it isn't art.

In some ways it is "better" than what we listen to, because more people like it.

it's art but it lacks integrity because i think skrillex is, to a certain extent, a product.

i don't think skrillex is a real musician, just like justice are not real musicians. they follow a very successful formula and make up for inadequacies in their music with a solid visual/cultural aesthetic.

Justice and Skrillex are probably both really good at producing. It takes work to go by the formula; sometimes even more work than it does to make something original.

Gmanyo,

More is not better. By your logic Justin Bieber is actually better than Aphex Twin, because Bieber has more fans.

lol, did I accidentally troll?

what I meant is that he doesn't intend for it to be art.

its just an ableton equation for people to play at clubs.

unless you qualify a steaming pile of excrement as art, it's not art.

It's art. Music. Not necessarily super-original or pretentious, but that doesn't mean it isn't art.

In some ways it is "better" than what we listen to, because more people like it.

it's art but it lacks integrity because i think skrillex is, to a certain extent, a product.

i don't think skrillex is a real musician, just like justice are not real musicians. they follow a very successful formula and make up for inadequacies in their music with a solid visual/cultural aesthetic.

Justice and Skrillex are probably both really good at producing. It takes work to go by the formula; sometimes even more work than it does to make something original.

Gmanyo,

More is not better. By your logic Justin Bieber is actually better than Aphex Twin, because Bieber has more fans.

Well, I don't really think there's an objective way of rating music, but I think popularity is about the closest you can get. In some ways Justin is better. But it's really all about personal preference. If you love the sound of farting in a blender and trying to blend the fart, then go ahead and listen to it.

lol, did I accidentally troll?

what I meant is that he doesn't intend for it to be art.

its just an ableton equation for people to play at clubs.

lol

All I mean is, I understand that LIKING music is subjective. Everyone LIKES different things. But this just means some people like shittier music. I personally think you CAN measure quality through a variety of criteria.

All I mean is, I understand that LIKING music is subjective. Everyone LIKES different things. But this just means some people like shittier music. I personally think you CAN measure quality through a variety of criteria.

Which criteria?

Guest CraniumXII

Yeah, I'm with u. It can be argued that because Squarepusher plays a variety of different instruments and has a deep understanding of music theory, that he's obviously a better musician than Skrilks... As a result, his personality comes through the music clearly. It comes more naturally...That form of expression is art. The Flahblub, is an example of having a high degree of musical knowledge, but his music at times can feel over produced and too methodical (over thought)... and I think he's a million times the musician/producer that Skrillex is.

I think Skrillex, for being relatively new to the electronic music scene, has some potential. Time will tell if he can create some genuinely good, unique choonz. But it will come at the cost of some fame... because the majority of people aren't well versed in music theory, and have probably never taken a music appreciation class... So anything to far out there, will just confuse the masses (Autechre?).

Yeah, I'm with u. It can be argued that because Squarepusher plays a variety of different instruments and has a deep understanding of music theory, that he's obviously a better musician than Skrilks... As a result, his personality comes through the music clearly. It comes more naturally...That form of expression is art. The Flahblub, is an example of having a high degree of musical knowledge, but his music at times can feel over produced and too methodical (over thought)... and I think he's a million times the musician/producer that Skrillex is.

I think Skrillex, for being relatively new to the electronic music scene, has some potential. Time will tell if he can create some genuinely good, unique choonz. But it will come at the cost of some fame... because the majority of people aren't well versed in music theory, and have probably never taken a music appreciation class... So anything to far out there, will just confuse the masses (Autechre?).

Yes this is exactly what I was getting at! Thank you.

Agreed, that is true. However our conversation and the perspective we're looking at is art, integrity, etc etc. From that perspective, Gmanyos logic is that Skrillex is better than what we listen to because more people listen to Skrillex.

It's a valid point.

I'd love to see anyone try to justify the 'betterness' of Aphex Twin compared to Justin Bieber, or Skrillex. Especially to the people that appreciate that music.

That logic is flawed, because both sides are not equal. Appreciators of "good music" (that can translate to any erudite genre) by norm know alot more music than any justin bieber fan and actually do/did alot of research.

So if I do like Justin Bieber, that's actually my choice, but I know his work cant compare to others in honesty or legitimacy, and I can argue about it, the justin bieber fan prototype we're talking about however, cannot.

It's a valid point.

That logic is flawed, because both sides are not equal. Appreciators of "good music" (that can translate to any erudite genre) by norm know alot more music than any justin bieber fan and actually do/did alot of research.

Thank you

Guest nene multiple assgasms

At least he's not Basshunter.

he drops the bass way too often to be an effective basshunter.

*vomits everywhere*

hey I know that sounds arrogant and shit, but if you're objective, to me, I think that's it. You can tell us your opinion if it is that diferent.

Skrillex seems like a fine young gentleman

Skrillex please get me signed to your label I promise I'll drop the bass like the bass was soap & I was the fresh faced young star of Venetian Snare's debut feature film, an erotic drama about the inmates of a robot space prison. The film will be called Huge Chrome Cylinder Cocks Unloading

Archived