Skrillex - Discuss, Debate, Praise, Hate

YEK

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

screename : sonny

hmm...

Is sonny actually skrillex?

What a loaded question. How much is skrillex a separate persona? Or is skrillex just a cute pen name? Is Richard David James only Aphex Twin in the same way Richard Dean Anderson is MacGyver? Is Leonard Nimoy Spock or Not Spock?

philosoraptor-e1306467800302.jpeg

Oh shit, you just meant the username. Soz

screename : sonny

hmm...

Is sonny actually skrillex?

What a loaded question. How much is skrillex a separate persona? Or is skrillex just a cute pen name? Is Richard David James only Aphex Twin in the same way Richard Dean Anderson is MacGyver? Is Leonard Nimoy Spock or Not Spock?

philosoraptor-e1306467800302.jpeg

Oh shit, you just meant the username. Soz

:cerious: :cerious: :cerious::w00t:

Well, the blood tests are in. It's just as I had feared...

Skrillex is my illegitimate child. Stop making fun of my son.

That logic is flawed, because both sides are not equal. Appreciators of "good music" (that can translate to any erudite genre) by norm know alot more music than any justin bieber fan and actually do/did alot of research.

im only cat my logic is flaw

All I mean is, I understand that LIKING music is subjective. Everyone LIKES different things. But this just means some people like shittier music. I personally think you CAN measure quality through a variety of criteria.

Yeah, I'm with u. It can be argued that because Squarepusher plays a variety of different instruments and has a deep understanding of music theory, that he's obviously a better musician than Skrilks... As a result, his personality comes through the music clearly. It comes more naturally...That form of expression is art. The Flahblub, is an example of having a high degree of musical knowledge, but his music at times can feel over produced and too methodical (over thought)... and I think he's a million times the musician/producer that Skrillex is.

I think Skrillex, for being relatively new to the electronic music scene, has some potential. Time will tell if he can create some genuinely good, unique choonz. But it will come at the cost of some fame... because the majority of people aren't well versed in music theory, and have probably never taken a music appreciation class... So anything to far out there, will just confuse the masses (Autechre?).

Yes this is exactly what I was getting at! Thank you.

As far as I can tell, you guys are making two completely different points and agreeing with each other. You're basically saying anyone who likes anything about him (skrillex) they immediately have a shitty taste in music. I think it's not impossible to imagine there being people out there who like his music and like a lot of the same groups you do, unless you don't care for anything on this board. Just seems like a bullshit generalization to justify your own tastes. Cranium seems like he's trying to point out how squarepusher has a deep understanding of musical theory and is obviously a better musician, and you can tell it in his music? And that they teach this kind of music in musical appreciation courses that i've never heard about? Anyways, I think you're both fanboy grouping and would like someone to point out my misunderstanding. I know im not helping this shitty thread but some of the shit i'm reading seems full of untruths and implications

All I mean is, I understand that LIKING music is subjective. Everyone LIKES different things. But this just means some people like shittier music. I personally think you CAN measure quality through a variety of criteria.

Yeah, I'm with u. It can be argued that because Squarepusher plays a variety of different instruments and has a deep understanding of music theory, that he's obviously a better musician than Skrilks... As a result, his personality comes through the music clearly. It comes more naturally...That form of expression is art. The Flahblub, is an example of having a high degree of musical knowledge, but his music at times can feel over produced and too methodical (over thought)... and I think he's a million times the musician/producer that Skrillex is.

I think Skrillex, for being relatively new to the electronic music scene, has some potential. Time will tell if he can create some genuinely good, unique choonz. But it will come at the cost of some fame... because the majority of people aren't well versed in music theory, and have probably never taken a music appreciation class... So anything to far out there, will just confuse the masses (Autechre?).

Yes this is exactly what I was getting at! Thank you.

As far as I can tell, you guys are making two completely different points and agreeing with each other. You're basically saying anyone who likes anything about him (skrillex) they immediately have a shitty taste in music. I think it's not impossible to imagine there being people out there who like his music and like a lot of the same groups you do, unless you don't care for anything on this board. Just seems like a bullshit generalization to justify your own tastes. Cranium seems like he's trying to point out how squarepusher has a deep understanding of musical theory and is obviously a better musician, and you can tell it in his music? And that they teach this kind of music in musical appreciation courses that i've never heard about? Anyways, I think you're both fanboy grouping and would like someone to point out my misunderstanding. I know im not helping this shitty thread but some of the shit i'm reading seems full of untruths and implications

My point is that music quality can be measured with actual criteria. His point is that squarepusher (as an example) is clearly better because he has a deeper understanding of musical theory and can apply it more professionaly (AKA a criteria).

I don't see how those are two different things. Enlighten me.

Additionally, I don't need to justify my tastes. I have an educated approach to music and other related subjects (taste, management theory, etc) and I seek no outside justification of such.

i guess my point is i didn't go to a university to study music to understand what I like and what I think sounds good. To say because of that I have poor taste in music, you would contradict yourself whenever we shared the same interest, right?

i guess my point is i didn't go to a university to study music to understand what I like and what I think sounds good.

That's fair. I don't believe a person needs to go to University or even have an understanding of what makes good music good to enjoy music.

Think of it like this David, what about people that drink wine? Anyone can enjoy a good glass of wine, even 9$ bottles of wine. What about people that enjoy 500$ bottles of wine? They have a criteria based approach for judging the quality of said wine. Are they enjoying different qualities of wine, is one better? Or is it just "subjective" taste?

Is that a good analogy? :sad:

no

Why?

They are essentially the same entity. Layers, notes, etc. Food and music are almost the same beast. That's why they have gone together for the last 12000 years (at least).

These are things you learn in university courses.

i guess my point is i didn't go to a university to study music to understand what I like and what I think sounds good. To say because of that I have poor taste in music, you would contradict yourself whenever we shared the same interest, right?

I never made the generalization that anyone that likes skrillex only likes shitty music. So no, I wouldn't be making any contradictions.

Food and music are almost the same beast.

lol

how is that funny?

Nevermind. It is clearly pointless to try and have an educated discussion in any WATMM thread.

I just thought that particular phrase was funny.

I actually think the food analogy isn't bad. Some people like expensive stuff, other people like cheap stuff. (Although you could argue that healthy food is the best. No analogy is perfect.)

Archived