IGNORED

DJ Shadow

Soloman Tump

Im going to see DJ Shadow in a couple of weeks time, and apart from Endtroducing I do not really know much about the rest of his back catalogue.

I know he has a new album out (hence the tour) which I will pick up this week, but what else should I check out?

Apart from Entroducing there's Private Press & Preemptive Strike, there is nothing else by him. Don't even look in discogs, those other things listed that he's done are not by him, honest. He's just done those, seriously.

****sticks fingers in ears****

Apart from Entroducing there's Private Press & Preemptive Strike, there is nothing else by him. Don't even look in discogs, those other things listed that he's done are not by him, honest. He's just done those, seriously.

haha absolutely this.

Gotta agree with what's already been said although he's done a bunch of other stuff from that era (and earlier) worth checking out:

Live! In Tune And On Time (Private Press Tour CD/DVD)

The 4-Track Era Collection (1990-1992) early 90s hiphop megamixes, remixes, and pre-mo'wax productions

Diminishing Returns Mixes - One hiphop mix, one psych/prog-rock mix, both excellent)

DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist – Brainfreeze (legendary funk 45s turntablism)

DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist – Product Placement (Brainfreeze sequel, pretty good)

But yeah he seems to have lost the plot lately, too bad cuz he was/is one of my favorite producers

he was a member of quannum and u.n.k.l.e. at different times. check those releases.

Good point, the first Unkle album, Psyence Fiction, is really a DJ Shadow album.

Aye 'tis a grand album .... and Unkle post the first album (and despite Mr. Davis departing) actually ended up being the kind of sound that I hoped DJ Shadow would evolve into.

Good point on Psyence Fiction although I doubt he will touch on any of that in his show. Its billed as DJ Shadow (live) so not quite sure what he is going to do to be honest.

Will check out the new album and also Private Press, cheers. New album seems to get mixed reviews but works well live apparently.

I got a free ticket though so it doesnt matter :biggrin:

Guest beatfanatic

yeah pretty much this. I would also add the first UNKLE album Psysence Fiction to that list.

Is he still doing the shadowsphere tour?? I saw him couple of months ago and I am disappointed big time.

/agrees with what's been said, and i'm inclined to throw rjd2 in the same category. i was only big into to deadringer, since we last spoke, and bits and pieces of third hand, but he seems to be mostly shit nowadaze as well

He still puts on a good show live, I went and saw him with Cut Chemist for The Hard Sell Tour, also Kid Koala opened... which was about as good as the headliner act just shorter. Kid Koala remains the one turntablist able to keep my interest consistently. I agree with RJD2 falling into this category too, both RJD2 and Shadow's more recent studio stuff has been somewhat lame.

as a duo w/ cut chemist or on the solo dj tip he is amazing

but damm he fell off so hard in the studio

"it's the money"……….

i can't really get into anything beyond endtroducing,preemptive strike and a few tracks from private press and select singles/remixes.

Endtroducing, Private Press, and Preemptive Strike. That's all you need.

I saw him a little over a year ago and it was a really good show. He mixed some dnb rhythms into some of the classics, and then mixed those together as well. It was well worth the money.

Archived