IGNORED

visiting London

cichlisuite

4 hours ago, tec said:

There’s a Stanley Kubrick exhibition on at the Design Museum. Not been yet but planning to do it. 

Yes, this is considered. There's also the manga exhibition in the British Museum... obviously I need to keep my resources in check after some point though, since it's London we are talking about, so we'll see. Thanks for your input! :)

13 hours ago, Soloman Tump said:

What date exactly?

Hope you can make I love Acid....

https://www.residentadvisor.net/events/1284213

Ohh that's fucking awesome! Ceephax and Altern 8! This one looks like a no brainer really! I am staying till Sunday so this looks like the proper summer rave send off I was hoping for! What's Altern 8 (Mark Archer solo by now I think?) into these days, I think he went into nu breaks mode at some point. Thanks a lot for letting me know, I could have sworn I've checked RA, I didn't manage to catch that one! I've just being told that this is a nice venue too! Do you think I should book in advance (like....around now?) cause it might sold out or the capacity of the place would make me look like the a complete tourist (I probably am)? ?

3 hours ago, hello spiral said:

Cafe Oto in Dalston. Something 'out there' happening pretty much every night.

I'm going to a Bohman/Secluded Bronte show on Saturday, including a screening of a film about Adam

https://www.cafeoto.co.uk/events/adam-bohman-by-biro-and-umbrella-spring/

Oh and Justice Yeldham's playing the following day, might have to go to that one too :^)

Yeah, Cafe Oto looks like a nice place, I've heard about it, probably from this very thread. I am not familiar with those acts (I will check though) but I saw Oval is playing on August 15th and I am pretty sure this is something I don't wanna miss either! Cheers!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Disappearer said:

So, I am gonna be the one who bumps this one for Summer 2019.  I'll be in London next week (staying @ Spitafields). Any recommendations for things going on right now / in general?

*Bars / Clubs playing IDM or maybe outdoor raves?  (I'm several months late for Bangface, one month early for Aphex... Doh!) No Fabric 4/4 techno/electro please.
*Any surreal/oddities shops/shows/attractions? (I am really tempted to go to the David Lynch exhibition in Manchester but I'm not sure there's enough time to go to another city + UK trains are expensive as hell).
*Decent quality / price ratio cocktails?
*Nice places to go to in general apart from the typical touristic stuff?

Although I'm not one to plug my own event *cough-cough-cough* I have a club night in Deptford on the 30th August

You really should try and reach the Stanley Kubrick Exhibition at the Design Museum, go early as the tickets sell out.

Cocktail bars in the SPitalfields area are well overpriced, apart from Bario East when they have happy hour. 

Generally I recommend checking our Deptford and Peckham, in the later specifically Taco Queen.

• Like 1

A couple of things I have enjoyed visiting when in London...

https://www.whiskytastingroom.com/

Whisky tasting rooms / shop with friendly and knowledgeable (non-pushy) staff

http://www.trinitybuoywharf.com/whats-on/event/longplayer

1000 year long drone music being performed at Trinity Wharf, open at weekends. The sounds will not repeat during the 1000 years! Crazy stuff.

4 minutes ago, Disappearer said:

Ohh that's fucking awesome! Ceephax and Altern 8! This one looks like a no brainer really! I am staying till Sunday so this looks like the proper summer rave send off I was hoping for! What's Altern 8 (Mark Archer solo by now I think?) into these days, I think he went into nu breaks mode at some point. Thanks a lot for letting me know, I could have sworn I've checked RA, I didn't manage to catch that one! I've just being told that this is a nice venue too! Do you think I should book in advance (like....around now?) cause it might sold out or the capacity of the place would make me look like the a complete tourist (I probably am)? ?<span>

Buy a ticket, then you will not be disappointed....

Altern-8 will probably be playing acid rave, maybe breaks, it will be good times so a no brainer really ?

38 minutes ago, oscillik said:

Yeah, I'd probably say it's not worth the cost and time of travel it'll take you to get from London to Manchester and then back again in the same day. Don't get me wrong, it's an awesome exhibit, but it's gonna cost you serious money and time to make it there, it'll easily take up a whole day. Probably not worth it, unless you're more of a fan of Lynch than me.

Whereas I kinda like Kubrick so that exhibition belongs into the "hmm would be cool" zone, I fucking love David Lynch, I am a hardcore fan. But time and money is def an issue... :/

26 minutes ago, MadameChaos said:

Although I'm not one to plug my own event *cough-cough-cough* I have a club night in Deptford on the 30th August

You really should try and reach the Stanley Kubrick Exhibition at the Design Museum, go early as the tickets sell out.

Cocktail bars in the SPitalfields area are well overpriced, apart from Bario East when they have happy hour. 

Generally I recommend checking our Deptford and Peckham, in the later specifically Taco Queen. 

No problem with plugging, I am leaving London on 18th though. ? Thanks for the suggestions!

Edited by Disappearer

On 8/9/2019 at 2:40 PM, Disappearer said:

In return, here's something currently happening in London that could definitely be interesting for the WATMMer...
https://sweetharmony.saatchigallery.com/
Should be fun, no?

Bugger, finishes the week before I get into town.  Looks good though for sure.

7 hours ago, usagi said:

I hear there are some really nice synagogues in town.

Well sure, if you are Jewish or just like looking at nice architecture, there are some good examples in London.

?‍♂️

Edited by Soloman Tump
formatting

1 hour ago, Soloman Tump said:
8 hours ago, usagi said:

I hear there are some really nice synagogues in town.

Well sure, if you are Jewish or just like looking at nice architecture, there are some good examples in London.

just pointing it out to @cichlisuite

Thanks usagi. lol. I've seen a synagogue or two while in London. Also while I visited Krakow and Warsaw. Very nice actually. Also a couple of jewish art centers. I just don't like eugene. That's all.

• Haha 1

Had a blast.  Oval @ Cafe Oto was fun while I think it was such a great chance to catch what was essentially a rave while in England, managed to check "Sweet Harmony" during the same day too.  Both Altern-8 and Ceephax rocked the house, Pickle Factory has a pretty good sound system too . Checked most of the essential record shops (Sounds of the Universe, Phonica, Rough Trade and Sister Ray), strangely it was Sister Ray I liked the most, got me FSOL's "My Kingdom" 12''. Thanks everyone for the recommendations, thank you London!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Disappearer said:

Had a blast.  Oval @ Cafe Oto was fun while I think it was such a great chance to catch what was essentially a rave while in England, managed to check "Sweet Harmony" during the same day too.  Both Altern-8 and Ceephax rocked the house, Pickle Factory has a pretty good sound system too . Checked most of the essential record shops (Sounds of the Universe, Phonica, Rough Trade and Sister Ray), strangely it was Sister Ray I liked the most, got me FSOL's "My Kingdom" 12''. Thanks everyone for the recommendations, thank you London!

berwick street, especially 'sister ray' & 'ambient soho' (now defunct, was across the road from the original SR shop on berwick street) was somewhere that was a primary spot for music in the 90's. you could be sure you'd pick up lots of electronica in there, and it particularly seemed to dominate mail order via the NME during the decade also; think they had a relationship with labels, especially WARP, and they'd get the lion's share of releases like AFX 'hangable auto bulb' because of this. reading those adverts was very often the best way of knowing what stuff was new, because they crammed so many little titles in their list, and the ad took up a fair space on a page. got lots of stuff there very cheaply that was essentially past releases left hanging around for years, then suddenly disappeared and became valuable - lots of rephlex stuff, or things like GAK. the shop it seems to occupy now had a far larger range of electronic stuff back then, and it's where i picked up more 12"s than i could find in SR. found those early 'photek" releases in there. was very well stocked and staffed. reliable, always on the ball.

• Like 1

all booked

I've been to only a few exhibitions over the years but they have all been simply magnificent. William Blake (mind blowing) Henry Moore (brilliant) Turner, Monet and Whistler (brilliant) Pink Floyd (brilliant). Let's hope the Kubrick one is equally as good. I'm still kicking myself I never made it to Francis Bacon and I think maybe Andy Warhol was on a few years ago (blame missing them on class-A substance fuelled lows).

Berkshire Bumpkin in London this Thursday. Hoof it!

On 8/19/2019 at 9:23 AM, logboy said:

berwick street, especially 'sister ray' & 'ambient soho' (now defunct, was across the road from the original SR shop on berwick street) was somewhere that was a primary spot for music in the 90's. you could be sure you'd pick up lots of electronica in there, and it particularly seemed to dominate mail order via the NME during the decade also; think they had a relationship with labels, especially WARP, and they'd get the lion's share of releases like AFX 'hangable auto bulb' because of this. reading those adverts was very often the best way of knowing what stuff was new, because they crammed so many little titles in their list, and the ad took up a fair space on a page. got lots of stuff there very cheaply that was essentially past releases left hanging around for years, then suddenly disappeared and became valuable - lots of rephlex stuff, or things like GAK. the shop it seems to occupy now had a far larger range of electronic stuff back then, and it's where i picked up more 12"s than i could find in SR. found those early 'photek" releases in there. was very well stocked and staffed. reliable, always on the ball.

I used to love hanging out at Ambient Soho.  And the "old" Sister Ray was the tits.  Built my Rephlex collection a lot shopping there.

The Kubrick exhibition was very good. The Shining section wasn't much and disappointing but 2001 A Space Odyssey section was all killer no filler. 

Edited by beer badger
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, scumtron said:

Yo peeps! Going to London in april, and have already checked out Last.FM events and songkick. Any other concert/clubbing websites recommended?

https://www.residentadvisor.net/events/uk/london/month/2020-04-01

Depending on when in April, you may be around for the Re:Textured events

Edited by Soloman Tump
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, scumtron said:

Yo peeps! Going to London in april, and have already checked out Last.FM events and songkick. Any other concert/clubbing websites recommended?

Bandsintown is a great app when traveling, tells you all the happenings wherever you are:

https://www.bandsintown.com/en

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Soloman Tump said:

https://www.residentadvisor.net/events/uk/london/month/2020-04-01

Depending on when in April, you may be around for the Re:Textured events

Looks like a nice event, but I'll be going 22-26th. I'm going to see William Basinski april 22nd, which is not listed at the RA calendar, btw. Looks like a nice exhibition at the design museum in april as well: https://designmuseum.org/exhibitions/electronic

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

I'm visiting London for the first time next week so I'm going through this thread but if anyone has any other suggestions please send them my way. Since the dollar is strong I'm hoping to eat, drink, and shop like a sausage-fingered King.

• Like 1

Been to London three times now. The Brits love to shit on their own capital but it's genuinely a great place imo. A great blend of new and old, I find that there is always something new to do or discover whenever I go.

• Like 1