IGNORED

3 former Isis members + Chino of Deftones = Palms

usagi

MUSICIANS FROM ISIS AND DEFTONES FORM NEW BAND: PALMS

Los Angeles, Apr. 25, 2012 -- Meet Palms, a newly formed Los Angeles based quartet featuring three former members of ISIS (Aaron Harris, Clifford Meyer and Jeff Caxide) with Deftones' vocalist Chino Moreno.

"Clifford, Jeff and I started Palms a little over a year ago out of a desire to continue making music together after ISIS ended," explained Harris. "Chino joined shortly after and our sound took shape from there. We've worked really hard on this first release and are excited for people to hear it. It's nice to be back behind the drum kit, and with this line up."

"Being a huge ISIS fan I've always dug the moods these dudes convey with their sound," added Moreno. "I am excited to combine my sense of creativity with theirs, and to have fun doing so."

Palms' debut album will be issued by ISIS' former label, Ipecac Recordings, and is slated for a 2012 release with a release date to be announced soon. The album was recorded and mixed by Harris, and produced by Palms.

Palms is Jeff Caxide (bass/keyboards), Aaron Harris (drums), Clifford Meyer (guitar/keyboards) and Chino Moreno (vocals).

source

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Caxide and Clifford Meyer were also together in Red Sparowes, for a different idea of how this might end up sounding.

I never really liked Chino or the Deftones.

Aaron Harris is on my list of brutally underrated drummers, though. He seems to have adopted particular styles on each Isis album that had pretty vast influences on the compositional direction of each album. Oceanic has such a weird but effective hollow, drowned snare sound, and Panopticon to In the Absence of Truth is almost a stylistic 180 in a few places. Panopticon is borderline drum minimalism, and Absence sounds like he has a hardon for Danny Carey (not that he's that good, of course), but they both sort of retain that weird Oceanic tone. I dunno, I've been looking forward to hearing what else he does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUYCn_G8UG0

Should be worth checking out, anyway.

I'm so psyched for this it's not funny. chino has been on fire lately. and busy as balls.

and Isis has been one of my favorites since I stumbled upon oceanic 10 years ago.

I'm a fan of both bands, and yeah like Jules said, Chino's been on fire lately. I'm curious if this will end up sounding more like Deftones material, Team Sleep/Crosses-esque or more like Isis... either one of those would still be some good musc IMO, so I guess we'll wait and see

• 9 months later...
Guest Ron Manager

Might have to check this out. I'm new to ISIS - only have Oceanic, Panopticon and Live VI but oh mah gawd are they all enjoyable.

Its fair to say I should invest more time into Isis. I went through a brief but intense time of listening to them and I should go back again. Nether the less I am still looking forward to this project as I remember the vocals on Isis being the one thing that spoiled some tracks for me (that is just my opinion of course and not a big statement).

• 1 month later...

Archived