IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

I'm 80% through Bioshock and pretty disappointed for the most part. I just keep shaking my head at how amazing looking the world is, how fun and deep the story is, yet the gameplay is FUCKING DULL. Kill a few splicers, run around avoiding turrets and cameras, or worse, "hacking" them. Once in awhile, you kill a Big Daddy and save a little girl. The plasmids are mostly retarded, underpowered, or gimmicky. Not once in the game have I discovered a new ability and thought, "Oh fuck, this is a game changer."

Gonna finish it, most likely, but wow what a waste of great art and atmosphere. I've never played a game where the gameplay was so utterly at odds with the storyline. The "hacking" mechanic alone is the most annoying and tedious element of the game. You can hack vending machines, health thingies, u-make-it machines, cameras, turrets, bla bla bla bla bla.

ZZZZZZZZZZZ.

I wanted so badly to love this game. Now I'm stuck sort of just...tolerating it.

Sums it up perfectly - except for the ending. It's worth finishing just to see how a storyline can go from majestic to shite in about half an hour of gameplay.

That is to say, the gameplay does converge with the storyline eventually but not in a good way.

Edited by Iain C

Guest Mirezzi

Bah, glad to see I'm not the only one.

Also, speaking of outstanding gameplay. I saw the conversation on the previous page about RE4, which happens to be one of the best video games ever made. The story is silly to the point of being almost Verhoevian, but the gameplay is nearly perfect.

Well for me Bioshocks story, and graphics were enough to have me ignore the gameplay (which I thought was ok for an FPS with some original touches). Everyone has different priorities when determining if a game is good or not. I personally cannot play a game if the graphics look like shit (usually). Which is why I'm glad I played Morrowind before Oblivion came out because once Oblivion came out I could not go back to Morrowind (no matter how hard I tried)despite its suburb story and gameplay the visuals just looked old and tired in comparison.

I've heard so many good things from all who have played RE4 but have yet to pull myself to actually play it. Lack of enthusiasm.

Also this is looking pretty interesting.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/01/25/voxelfarm-realtime-is-minecraft-in-a-gorgeously-realistic-procedurally-generated-world/

Edited by ZiggomaticV17

Guest Mirezzi

Bioshock has plenty of great qualities, it's just a shame that the gameplay and level design is about as creative as Duke Nukem 3D.

Yes, the levels themselves are absolutely gorgeous, but they do become a bit repetitive and from a map design perspective, duller than hammered shit. Corridor after corridor after corridor.

I recently finished bioshock as well, and was pretty underwhelmed. I did like the twist, but not what followed. I was bored to tears by the end, because apparently I have OCD and hacked every hackable item. Fuck that mini-game.

Guest Mirezzi

I recently finished bioshock as well, and was pretty underwhelmed. I did like the twist, but not what followed. I was bored to tears by the end, because apparently I have OCD and hacked every hackable item. Fuck that mini-game.

FUCKING FUCK, exactly. As much as I should not give a shit about the hackable things, I still end up hacking each and every goddamn thing! I have a full wallet, full ammo, 9/9 health and evo, yet I can't stop myself from hacking every thing, opening every safe, constantly stopping to Save/Reload when I fail to hack, etc.

Yes, I own my OCD here, but jesus christ, what a stupid fucking gameplay mechanic.

The more I think about Bioshock, the more I think it's just a shit game. Almost every idea that was brought up in a meeting during its development has been implemented, but poorly.

"Ohhh, you can take photos of things? Excellent, let's add it!"

"But how will it work?"

"Who gives a shit? You can take photos. Let's add it!"

"Why would you take photos?"

"Ummm, call it 'research' and give yourself a bonus."

Every gameplay mechanic is built around power ups and addons. It's just completely thoughtless.

Guest Mirezzi

I think the problem with the hacking everything, etc. is a natural byproduct of infinite saves. I know checkpoints are tedious, but they encourage people to just fucking get through a game and stop trying to be perfect.

I can't tell you how many times I've reloaded Bioshock to kill a Big Daddy with minimal ammo or sustained damage. Then again, part of the reason I do that is because the weapons and shit in the game are pretty underpowered.

Can someone recommend me more games like Journey? Something where you're exploring an amazing world or something with really great art direction that isn't just killkillkillkillkillkill based gameplay? Or Anyang that's really unique? I'm thinking games like the Neverhood, Machinarium, etc (but preferably without the point-and-click aspect.) they can be flash games, independent games, ps1 games, pc games or Xbox I really don't care.

Or anything that is the video game equivalent to Selected Ambient Works Vol II

Edited by drukqs

Guest Mirezzi

Ni No Kuni looks amazing, but will I feel like a creepy old man channeling his inner 12 year-old girl while playing it? That's the $1M question.

Guest Aserinsky

Can someone recommend me more games like Journey? Something where you're exploring an amazing world or something with really great art direction that isn't just killkillkillkillkillkill based gameplay? Or Anyang that's really unique? I'm thinking games like the Neverhood, Machinarium, etc (but preferably without the point-and-click aspect.) they can be flash games, independent games, ps1 games, pc games or Xbox I really don't care.

Or anything that is the video game equivalent to Selected Ambient Works Vol II

Can't leave this thread without recommending Yume Nikki. If you're interested playing it do yourself a favour and just download the game rather than just read up on it. It'll be much more rewarding (if you like the game that is).

Also the games that mcbpete recommended are pretty spot on, Memory of a Broken Dimension looks amazing! Very reminiscent of Devil's Tuning Fork.

I feel like Bioshock 2 greatly improved upon the weapon/plasmid balancing issues, but I guess it wouldn't make much of a difference if you were overall unimpressed with the original.

i think mirezzi is being a little hard on bioshock.

started playing dear esther. i like the atmosphere and idea and it reminds me of myst, but the lack of interaction with the environment is sort of perplexing and ultimately pretty dull.

Guest Mirezzi

Probably. I think it's more an issue of what I think was possible versus what they've done.

There are some nights I'll play it for an hour or two and enjoy it and now that I'm in the late stages of the game, I feel underwhelmed by the overall experience. Like, where's the fucking beef?

When you're 80% through a game, you'd think the gameplay would be a bit more varied than the same rinse-and-repeat shoot baddies and collect candy bars bullshit.

Ni No Kuni looks amazing, but will I feel like a creepy old man channeling his inner 12 year-old girl while playing it? That's the $1M question.

Absolutely not.......... you'll feel like a 12 year-old boy. In a good sense though.

I'll say it's not for everyone as many people are too into a bad-ass main character. This game stars a well mannered, pure-hearted boy. The game carries a very bright atmosphere. So if that's not your cup of tea, avoid it. If it is, however, then go get it right now and start a new game.

There are some nights I'll play it for an hour or two and enjoy it and now that I'm in the late stages of the game, I feel underwhelmed by the overall experience. Like, where's the fucking beef?

i feel this way about 90% of games though.

Guest Mirezzi

i feel this way about 90% of games though.

Wow, that was weird. You didn't quote me so I was totally confused for a second. "I know we agree often, but wow. I said the exact same thing."

Absolutely not.......... you'll feel like a 12 year-old boy. In a good sense though.

I'll say it's not for everyone as many people are too into a bad-ass main character. This game stars a well mannered, pure-hearted boy. The game carries a very bright atmosphere. So if that's not your cup of tea, avoid it. If it is, however, then go get it right now and start a new game.

I'm kinda sold. I've been feeling a bit bludgeoned with all the depressing atmospheres in video games. I'm all for taking your jungian shadow for a walk, but something a bit airy and light would be nice once in awhile, too.

i think mirezzi is being a little hard on bioshock.

started playing dear esther. i like the atmosphere and idea and it reminds me of myst, but the lack of interaction with the environment is sort of perplexing and ultimately pretty dull.

Yea, I enjoyed it for what it was, but it felt like they were wasting all that atmosphere. It was just begging for some sort of mystery to be solved.

I liked Dear Esther. I'm still not sure if the main character is you, the guy talking to you, or that guy but he's already dead, or are you also about to be dead, or are you reliving his past? Are you Esther, presumably the narrator (Jacobson)'s wife? And are you maybe... in a coma? It seems like there's maybe another couple in the story at times, but I think Donnelly = Esther, so maybe not. It's like they had a mystery and just seriously refused to let it be solved. It's so full of symbology it's hard to know where it's supposed to start and stop... maybe the caves are your "inner self"? I mean, yeah, the lack of interaction was kinda disappointing, but my mind was still tickled.

Also, those white lines on the cliff - you know the ones I mean - what did you gather they were?

Edited by luke viia

Guest Mirezzi

I need to try harder to get through Mass Effect. I tried twice on console and quit because of my inability to stomach an FPS game on a console.

Then I tried it on PC, but was bored by the first hour or so of the game.

I need to try harder to get through Mass Effect. I tried twice on console and quit because of my inability to stomach an FPS game on a console.

Then I tried it on PC, but was bored by the first hour or so of the game.

I too cannot finish Mass Effect. I own both 1 and 2 and neither compelled me to stay with it till the end.

I liked Dear Esther. I'm still not sure if the main character is you, the guy talking to you, or that guy but he's already dead, or are you also about to be dead, or are you reliving his past? Are you Esther, presumably the narrator (Jacobson)'s wife? And are you maybe... in a coma? It seems like there's maybe another couple in the story at times, but I think Donnelly = Esther, so maybe not. It's like they had a mystery and just seriously refused to let it be solved. It's so full of symbology it's hard to know where it's supposed to start and stop... maybe the caves are your "inner self"? I mean, yeah, the lack of interaction was kinda disappointing, but my mind was still tickled.

Also, those white lines on the cliff - you know the ones I mean - what did you gather they were?

There's a lot of ambiguity in the narration. I thought it was too cryptic as well. I couldn't keep up with who was who. Here's a reasonable explanation I've stolen from a guy on Eurogamer:

Esther was the narrator's partner. She died in a car crash on the motorway.

The other car was driven by a man named Paul. He'd had alcohol prior to

his journey, but not enough to get him over the limit. It's also

speculated that a fault in the electronics of the braking system in his

car.

The narrator knows of this deserted island in the Hebrides. He withdraws and visits it constantly.

A book found in a library written by a man named Donnelly gives the

history of the island. As you may imagine, it's not the most interesting

read. The narrator occasionally refers to the last person to inhabit

the island, a Scandinavian named Jacobson who herded goats there, who

died of syphilis.

The chemical symbol for alcohol; the circuit diagram for a car braking

system; a neuron; some text about Paul on the road to Damascus. These

are the graffiti that litter the island, daubed in luminous paint, that

the narrator has plastered all over the island on his many prior visits.

In his grief, so acute that he's become a bit crazy - and crazily

creative, making bizarre mental connections in his prose - he tries

again and again to draw these diagrams in order to make sense of

Esther's death or perhaps see something underneath them that will

magically undo the mistake that the universe made.

The narrator wrote Esther letters, I think before she died, indicating

that they were apart for some time. He never delivered them, and now

they are folded paper boats drifting off a jetty on the island.

We join the narrator, still writing letters to Esther in his head, on his final trip to the island.

It's also probable that the narration becomes more wild near the end because your character hurt his leg and is on a lot of painkillers.

Edited by Ego