IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

I'll continue playing it for now until a time comes that it starts to bore me. ME3 was just released on PS+ so I may give that a go. Finished Outland too recently. Really good game but it could have got a bit harder I thought.

Guest Iain C

I've been looking for a good simulator-type game to play for a while now. Something gentle and soothing you can play with some good music and a long rollie. I'd toyed with the idea of picking up Train Simulator 2013 (or perhaps its standalone expansion, London-Faversham High Speed) but then RPS posted this brilliant article about Euro Truck Simulator 2:

ets5.jpg

I’m infatuated with this game. It’s a twilight experience, something to tide me toward sleep after a day of looking at the internet, a simulated escape into another kind of work and another way of living. I haven’t formed a company with its own employees and I have no idea how deep that side of the game is. I don’t even pick the best jobs available because I’ve imposed my own limits, always taking cargo from the last city I visited so that my journeys across the continent happen in a strange sort of realtime without the un-truckerly magic of transportation.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/13/night-drive-euro-truck-simulator-2/

I need to get in on this. Tonight.

I've always had an interest in those niche games - Never bought one mind, but yeah they look chilled as fuck. You have to check this Lets Play - it's bloody hilarious (especially part 2):

Guest Iain C

I've always had an interest in those niche games - Never bought one mind, but yeah they look chilled as fuck. You have to check this Lets Play - it's bloody hilarious (especially part 2):

My God... this exists. I hope you lose points in passenger mode for making eye contact.

If Crysis 3 is any way near as bad as Crysis 2, then stay the fuck away from it. And from what I've seen of it, it looks identical to Crysis 2 (other than the only slightly new looking setting).

Crysis 2 ranks as one of the most boring shooters I've ever played, couldn't even finish it. The shooting was so unsatisfying, the guns had absolutely no kick to them, and they felt way too underpowered. and the AI was boring and predictable. That's like the two most important things to nail in a shooter (gun controls and AI). And don't even get me started on the story, and the shitty pacing.

Sure it looked amazing graphically, but the art-direction was so boring and generic, that the graphics didn't really matter in the end.

Edited by Ceerial

I've been looking for a good simulator-type game to play for a while now. Something gentle and soothing you can play with some good music and a long rollie. I'd toyed with the idea of picking up Train Simulator 2013 (or perhaps its standalone expansion, London-Faversham High Speed) but then RPS posted this brilliant article about Euro Truck Simulator 2:

ets5.jpg

I’m infatuated with this game. It’s a twilight experience, something to tide me toward sleep after a day of looking at the internet, a simulated escape into another kind of work and another way of living. I haven’t formed a company with its own employees and I have no idea how deep that side of the game is. I don’t even pick the best jobs available because I’ve imposed my own limits, always taking cargo from the last city I visited so that my journeys across the continent happen in a strange sort of realtime without the un-truckerly magic of transportation.

I haven't done any gaming in three days. I'm burnt out on Borderlands 2, maxed out on gear and quests in Fallout: New Vegas, left off on a UFO landing mission in XCOM: EU where there were about ten aliens within view at the same time, and have doubts whether I want to buy Far Cry 3.

Already pre-ordered Bioshock: Infinite, and it'll be available soon. But once I've played that one enough over the next couple of months, I wonder if I should call it quits on gaming for good. I've spent too much of my life on games.

Been playing Ridiculous Fishing - a Tale of Redemption on my iPhone. Fun!

Also, I started playing Red Dead Redemption again about a month ago and I'm still playing it. Best fucking game. Ever.

I could never really get into Red Dead. From all the praise of it I should probably give it another go.

If you like GTA and wild west time era, you'll like Red Dead. I wasn't a fan of either.

I could never really get into Red Dead. From all the praise of it I should probably give it another go.

If you like GTA and wild west time era, you'll like Red Dead. I wasn't a fan of either.

It's hard to compare GTA to Red Dead Redemption. I mean, sure they are both made by the same company (kinda) and they're both open world games, but Red Dead Redemption is a lot slower game than GTA. RDR never really tempts you to go nuts and shoot everything around you. Quite the contrary actually. The few times I've mistaken a good guy for a bad guy have made me feel terrible.

Another thing is that the story in RDR is a lot more dry than GTA - in a positive way. The characters are all pretty damn cynical, which fits perfectly with the grim world they live in, and the characters are all pretty memorable. Sure, there are memorable characters in GTA, but most of your memories about GTA will be about that one time you ran over 10 people on Time Square or something like that.

Play it for the characters, the story, and the wonderful ending which I think is one of the best endings ever to a video game. The shooting RDR is pretty fucking awesome as well.

Guest Pennywise

It is still kind of Gta In a western era though. The missions are similar, its just you're doing it with a horse and an old rifle. I loved it though and I see what you mean.

I checked this out earlier today.

It's pretty fun. Not every day I find a Iphone game that's actually enjoyable.

I checked this out earlier today.

It's pretty fun. Not every day I find a Iphone game that's actually enjoyable.

Play Year Walk ;D

ets5.jpg

i know this will make me sound like (and manifest as) a complete prick but this seems a bit "skyrim"-ish with the hype

the game doesn't look that great. the crashes are phony and there aren't any pedestrians.

then again its good that people are hyping a sim. maybe that will get more companies to invest time into it. I would love a really good simulator. the best games will be more like sims. the best games will be more like simulators!

a favorite I have recently is Kerbal Space Program. definitely check it out if you haven't already. you build a rocket and launch it and try to land on the moon. it's absolutely fantastic. grade a shit. so much potential for chaos and unique things. thats what a simulator should do i think. this truck simulator looks nice but it doesn't look like there is much potential for chaos.