Guest zaphod

which is odd because apollo 13, which is the jumping off point for ..to the moon, uses the grissom death as a thematic device.

7 psychopaths was way better than In Bruges (which was really just sort of a black comedy Tarantino knockoff... good introduction to the director but not a great film) this was a great film and it will be remembered as such

Guest zaphod

7 psychopaths was way better than In Bruges (which was really just sort of a black comedy Tarantino knockoff... good introduction to the director but not a great film) this was a great film and it will be remembered as such

wait, what? if anything it's completely the other way around.

Guest isaki

breaking dawn part 2 - why did I watch this?

Because part 1 was a lot worse. I've been told the climax of the movie was far superior to the book - if you can believe that...

You know the whole battle scene Michael Sheen "foresees" - yeah never happens in the book. That South American half-vampire dude who shows up and is like "yeah I'm a hybrid and derp derp" and Michael Sheen and the other bad vamps are like "oh ok cool" AND THATS IT! THATS HOW THE FUCKING BOOK SERIES ENDS!!! LOL So thanks the screenwriter who decided to add that battle scene and twist about it being a mere vision or whatever. I would of been pissed after trudging through that film just for some dude to say 3 lines.

Fucking Twilight - well here's my perhaps insightful and ridiculous perspective I'll keep this short. My wife reads a lot and flys through a variety of books ranging from classics to what she deems "silly dumb reads." She likes series a lot in particular. Way back in 2006 a friend of hers recommended Twilight. She liked the first one a lot for reasons beyond the plot - the setting in rural Washington was pleasant, there's a lot of cool Native American imagery and subplots not covered in the movies, etc.

Anyway, by the time the movie was made and the retarded fandom ensued in 2008 she had read the whole series. She liked the second. Third was meh. Fourth she didn't like the way it ended. By that point our friend who actually introduced it to her was already getting tired of the series. Both of them thought way less of people who "loved" the series because the actually plot and characters are shallow, shitty people by the end of the fourth book. At this point they both find the whole romantic plot a offensive - the whole relationship is unhealthy - it's disturbing people consider it a romance novel at all, let alone one to admire (many who do like the books are Conservative Christians - go figure). Nonetheless we gave the movies a shot. Part of the reason we went to see the 2nd movie after the dreadfully bad 1st one was because - I'm not trolling when I say this - it was better in every aspect than the 1st (the OST is oddly really good). So we're like "ok, maybe these will get better." Well...they don't. 3rd was entertaining kinda. 4th - geez. We actually watched the last ones with the intent of laughing at plot. Locally comedians screen and mock the films (It's a running series called "Master Pancake Theater" in Austin akin to MST3K) and now we're looking forward to seeing the last movies ripped apart.

I guess my point it is this - the whole franchise and it's success is truly baffling - and ironically a lot of people who ended up deriding it were fans initially, they just never talk about it.

well. I have nothing to input on that, as I've never read the books. but what you mentioned in the spoiler sounds terrible... but yeah, this part 2 was OK... but nothing special imo. the movie was very nice to look at in HD though. and the casting was good. it's just... . not my cup of tea, I guess.

which is odd because apollo 13, which is the jumping off point for ..to the moon, uses the grissom death as a thematic device.

yeah I remember I saw Apollo 13 in theaters with a girl I had a crush on (cue old man music). Can't remember if it was better or worse than the To the Moon stuff. I do remember some scene where they're guiding their capsule by line of sight or some such. They have a similar scene of taking their bearings based on star position in To The Moon. It's stuff like that that really blows my mind. In the middle of space relying on (seemingly) ancient mariner type tricks and human eyeballing. Talk about balls.

agree, In Bruges was a grower, and the banter was great (career best from Colin Farrell?). 7 Psychopaths not so much.

Guest Shit Attack

tree of life - everything that sucked + was phoney about to the wonder worked for me in this one other than the cgi dinosaurs bullshit + the fact it was too long. The cinematography is great, theres actually a decent story/ background for nice visuals, the choppy editing didnt just seem like a way to make it seem interesting when it wasnt, the characters/voice over models actually seem like real people blah blah. this one actually was deep whereas the other one was trying and failing to be. also it didnt have bent assfleck creeping around in it .- 7.5/10

Guest No Pomo

The Last Detail (1973)
GREAT

Somewhere (2010)
Pretty cool - slow - ending was eh

Easy Rider (1969)
Classic - Bad Ass

Less Than Zero (1987)
Lol @ RDJ being a total crack head suckin diks

The Master (2012)
YES!

Final Destination 5. I didn't hate it. lol/intricate death scenes

Edited by Gocab

Guest Mirezzi

*rap

Still have no idea what movies you like. Don't beat around the bush

You're welcome to search the thread I started in 2009 for all of my contributions. I think they make for a nice Sunday morning read.

Edited by The Overlook

M is by far the worst, so so shit. S is also complete shit and so is the spider one.

Ti West appears to be the weakest link as always. M is For miscarriage was an abortion of a segment. . Ti West is a straight to DVD kinda guy. His segment on V/H/S was the worst by far too.... dont let him near any more of these anthology films. God knows what he would have done to Twilight Zone: The Movie, lol. The spider one was bad, as was the the F is for Fart one, and that surfboard one.

Might go see this new Malick one, i sure need something different. A lot of these recent award winning movies have been kinda average. i liked Argo but are we really invested enough in these 6 diplomats to care whether they live or die? A couple of them seemed like assholes. Are we given enough on Affleck's characters personal background to know what kinda guy he is and why pulling these guys out of Iran is so important to him?

In Silver Linings i was impressed by the acting and high energy in the scenes, it was pretty good overall but not oscar worthy. If you are gonna nominate films like this then lets see The Bourne Legacy, Skyfall and Berberian Sound Studio nominated. Not The Artist.

Excuse the boorishness, i should have put this in that Oscars thread thing that someone started.

Edited by Schlitze

*rap

Still have no idea what movies you like. Don't beat around the bush

You're welcome to search the thread I started in 2009 for all of my contributions. I think they make for a nice Sunday morning read.

yes, of course, 5000 pages.... :facepalm:

lumpenprol, on 01 Mar 2013 - 01:47, said:

zaphod, on 28 Feb 2013 - 23:10, said:

yeah I remember I saw Apollo 13 in theaters with a girl I had a crush on (cue old man music). Can't remember if it was better or worse than the To the Moon stuff. I do remember some scene where they're guiding their capsule by line of sight or some such. They have a similar scene of taking their bearings based on star position in To The Moon. It's stuff like that that really blows my mind. In the middle of space relying on (seemingly) ancient mariner type tricks and human eyeballing. Talk about balls.

zaphod, on 01 Mar 2013 - 00:43, said:

>

vamos scorcho, on 01 Mar 2013 - 00:14, said:

agree, In Bruges was a grower, and the banter was great (career best from Colin Farrell?). 7 Psychopaths not so much.

I made that comment with the specific purpose of provoking response. Because I know that's what its critics have been saying. I believe they are totally wrong. In Bruges was a good movie, I agree, a grower. But it has nothing to say, it's more or less just a "first film." It's not a great film, it's a very good movie but it's still just Tarantinoesque.

This is way beyond Tarantino, it had flair, and actually had something to say. In fact, I would say the whole film was a harsh criticism of Tarantino as a director. It's a critique of Hollywood a la the Player. I find it disconcerting that more people haven't seen this, but also unsurprising given that most people these days fail to consider social critique when watching a film. If all you care about is dialogue, characterization, etc... then Seven Psychopaths is less than In Bruges. If you are considering the whole picture, it is superior. The film was not really that funny apart from when its criticism landed with direct placement. It was a moralizing film meant to provoke hatred in the viewer for its targets. The final 20 minutes of the film were extremely emotional for me and I find that if this was not your experience watching the film, then you were not watching it properly. In fact, I would go so far as to say that the narrative mechanism used at the end bordered on genius. The whole thing is a sort of mini-masterpiece, secluded in its own world. I'm not calling myself a "fan" of the director but its very possible that future films could go in the "right" direction (further down the art-path of Seven Psychopaths), instead of the "wrong" one (fun dialogue, entertainment, black comedy etc).

All that said, the acting from Rockwell was fantastic, as well as from Walken. I wouldn't call it "great" as a film, but I must say I strongly prefer it to In Bruges and most anything else. It was sold as a "Tarantino funtime" by the critics and by Youtube but in reality it's an art film of sorts, kind of like Jarmusch but with all that pseudo-octane of a Tarantino film to reel you in.

Edited by vamos scorcho

Seen Animal Kingdom, cant remember it too well so perhaps again.

Will Upside Down make me a bit angry at how bad it is? Cause that might keep me awake. Stayed up all night so dont want to fall asleep and mess up schedule. I was thinking more horror films related. Was looking at that scare me zaphod thread. I watched Lost Highway for first time last night and that was pretty nice.

Will Upside Down make me a bit angry at how bad it is? Cause that might keep me awake. Stayed up all night so dont want to fall asleep and mess up schedule. I was thinking more horror films related. Was looking at that scare me zaphod thread. I watched Lost Highway for first time last night and that was pretty nice.

at the same time it gets you angry it also gets you wondering, my head didn't stop for a minute during that film, and when it ended, i had no idea what the story was about... well i had, it's so simple that you get it on the synopsis but oh well...

or you might try, the man from earth or nine lives of tomas katz...

Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

I'd give Berberian another shot with Strickland's director's commenterary in 5.1 Dolby.

Guest RadarJammer

try this one http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0436374/?ref_=sr_3

and this one http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0844457/?ref_=sr_1

Edited by RadarJammer

Guest zaphod

tiny furniture - made it ten minutes, tapped out. i'm not equipped emotionally or intellectually for this kind of pain.