IGNORED

Vaporwave

Nebraska

hey i asked this in the lofi hip hop thread but it's not terribly active so i'd like to know if anyone here has an answer:

yo i'm wondering if anyone in here would know of any music that sounds like actress - ghettoville or james ferraro's suki girlz tape

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cG4ZXxEhOI

Suki Girlz sounds like nothing else doesn't it? It's my favorite release of his, tied only with Last American Hero / Adrenaline's End.

hey i asked this in the lofi hip hop thread but it's not terribly active so i'd like to know if anyone here has an answer:

yo i'm wondering if anyone in here would know of any music that sounds like actress - ghettoville or james ferraro's suki girlz tape

Suki Girlz sounds like nothing else doesn't it? It's my favorite release of his, tied only with Last American Hero / Adrenaline's End.

I lurk hard on this thread but I gotta come out thank you for posting suki girlz. Shit is awesome and I can't believe I never heard about this album.

It's true, there's really nothing else like it. Tropical/cloudy vaportrap like Cobalt Road & STΛQQ ƟVERFLƟ - Biosphere comes close, but doesn't quite capture the lo-fi murkiness of Ferraro.

just discovered this guy today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0rkw0vRWm0&t=6s

Percival Pembroke is great, esp that album Concurrent 386 and A Course in the Theory of Drones. Arpeggiagorworld++ too,though that has a sort of different sound

Edited by wobbegongs

• 2 weeks later...

Found this really good vaporwave resource and review site called sunbleach.net - nice balance of new stuff and reviews on classic and overlooked albums. Great guide on guides (lol meta) here.

This one, Ambient Exotica.com, is good too but less active lately.

santa fe shooter was apparently real into vaporwave

not particularly, looks like he was as casually into it as synthwave, "fashwave" and a plethora of other edgelord teenage bullshit - he was into "fashwave" some microgenre that is one of many alt-right appropriations of something non-political like synthwave music, and something lazy journalists will quickly post about without really giving a proper context

Edited by joshuatx

Man, Suki Girlz. That album was the soundtrack to my summer in 2015. I only discovered the bebetunes thing around January this year, also great.

Anyone aware of the drama going on with the OESB label atm? Myself and another watmmer spoke to Ferraro about it recently. He's sending me something soon (hopefully) as I never received my Human Story 3 tape.

Anyone aware of the drama going on with the OESB label atm? 

The fact that the guy who runs it is a scammer who happily takes cash without sending stuff out? It's been almost 18 months since pre-orders for HKE's Dragon Soul went up and I'm pretty sure none have been shipped yet. Supposedly there were delays in vinyl manufacture but the tapes haven't even been sent, and the label's released other record since then. Including the Floral Shoppe LP which a lot of people haven't received. Supposedly a lot of people never received Human Story 3. I was warned off buying from OESB a couple of years ago with tales of them not shipping stuff out in the past but decided to ignore the warning, wish I hadn't. Someone told me the label's PayPal got shut down because it received too many claims for refunds. The guy who runs it also runs HVRF and outright refuses to remove albums from the label when requested by the artist (he made some transphobic comments I wasn't comfortable with so asked not to be associated with the label and have my two releases removed - he refused and said if I made a claim to have the albums removed he'd go out of his way to promote the albums and host them elsewhere, before also going on a rant about trans women being 'men playing dress up', so y'know, fuck that guy)

In other vapordrama news, PZA recently got found out for the second time for basically taking other people's songs, slowing them down by about 2%, and then releasing them as his own. He's been taking tracks he finds on SoundCloud by obscure artists and a bunch of synthwave people too so it's not like he's even ripping rich people. Nmesh called him out on it and PZA went off on one about Nmesh being jealous of him. Crazy scene.

Edited by purlieu

Yeah, the whole point of vaporwave is recontextualisation. PZA is an idiot. 

Was it Haircuts for Men who just took IZ-US and slowed it down by 5% and released it on vinyl? Someone posted about it in the Aphex sub-forum and loads of people who didn't know about vaporwave were basically introduced to the style because of that. It just damages the entire scene.

Yeah, the whole point of vaporwave is recontextualisation. PZA is an idiot. 

Was it Haircuts for Men who just took IZ-US and slowed it down by 5% and released it on vinyl? Someone posted about it in the Aphex sub-forum and loads of people who didn't know about vaporwave were basically introduced to the style because of that. It just damages the entire scene.

I thought of that when I saw the PZA drama. Has Haircuts For Me been as douchey online? I hate to say it because technically the IZ-US ripoff is as lazy but I think PZA's attitude and choice of theft sources has just been far more egregious. Props to NMESH for calling him out.

Vaporwave has always and will always be an enigma to some people, brilliance to others and a joke to the rest. Nobody needs to "get it". It doesn't even need any listeners to survive.

What some guy named PZA does or doesn't do won't affect that in the slightest imo. (That's not to say I don't think he's a lazy brat or whatever).

Vaporwave is invisible, invincible, forever irrelevant, yet always trending. It is dead and alive.

Edited by Lane Visitor

But yeah for all non pretentious purposes dude is lame for ripping off others. Waiting for his irrefutable argument that ripping off other vw artists is more vaporwave than vaporwave / anti-art / meta / future ala hardvapour irony. Lol

Edited by Lane Visitor

Oh, I’ve been enjoying some Haircuts for Men recently. That’s too bad that some of it is lazy — didn’t know that.

to be fair it's the one song that's iffy and it's a bit crazy it's been pressed to vinyl - the fact that it's not even chopped up or looped makes it stand out - rest of his stuff seemed "legit"

PZA on the other hand has done it multiple times, has been a dick about it when called out, AND sampled contemporary producers - so no sample hunting through old or obscure stuff - quite petty IMO

a lot of reputable vaporwave artists do some arguably lazy stuff - pretty sure telepath throws slowed asian pop ballads through effects (barberpoll flanger) calls it a day but the end product speaks for itself

There's definitely a fair bit of chopping up and looping in most of telepath's stuff, and yeah, the end result is always dreamy and woozy and a world away from the stuff he sampled.

vaporwave has become a meme in so many ways. Anything with dated computer graphics or, indeed, blue and pink, is often categorised as vaporwave. I dunno if it still happens, but for a while it was actually one of those general buzzwords kids used as Instagram hashtags, just tagging everything with it for no real apparent reason.