IGNORED

Vaporwave

Nebraska

I spoke with Donovan Hikaru.. and he's totally down to do a track for this, sounds super fun!

note: his will be original as he doesn't sample (although his very rare "Donovan Hikaru San Francisco Office" alias will sample once in a blue moon)

.. if that's ok? or does it all need to be plunderphonics?

One more thought for 12/24hrs from me (commute then night classes then sleep after this post)...

I figure we set this up as a compilation akin to, I dunno a Pure Moods or new age or ripoff 90s dance music release. I'd be like, self-self-self-aware. Someone could type a cheesy corporate spammy intro about how these are the "next big vaporwave artists"

I'd help prevent "ripoff" decorators (I think) and enhance the premise overall of the music featured - people who already like vaporwave should like it then, right?

sounds good to me, it might be funny to do it all as the same artist like a fake 80s quasi new-age corporate guy but we all make the songs for it (sort of like the opposite of the EDM compilations by jodey kendrick) , the kit-list would also be important as it needs A LOT of bad romplers and shitty late 80s digital synths

hahahaha yes!

Sampling versus original is irrelevant to me. I don't want this to be too limiting on the music end, but aesthetically consistent. By that I mean mostly 90s (late 80s to early 00s) muzak and smooth jazz, effective audio manipulation or arrangements, throwaway corporate visuals of vaporware and flash-in-the-pan tech. John, I think that idea of same name for the album, but with different producers (using same kits too) is great and clever, but a bit restrictive and too anonymous. Also, I think we could maintain a degree of individuality by having the "compilation" concept, so we don't all become too constricted style wise (I'll explain this in detail later)

I had in mind this being an intro for some of us already making music (like Donovan Hikaru) BUT everyone seems down with new, one-off aliases so that seems like a good template. Hell, I'd make a discogs for this thing and link to other existing projects eventually anyway. I dunno, this is something to agree on - I don't want some bolshevik/menshevik split within vaporwave ideology :emotawesomepm9:

I'll compile a list of users from this thread and get the pms going by this afternoon. I think everyone who has been conversing from the start is still around (nopomo kind of disappeared though). There's enough of us here on this thread to make a comp, so I agree we should make it secretive between us. (That said, I also received an email from coolsville overnight :cool: ) By default I figured Jasondonervan could do the cover art...would you?
I wrote a pretty long outline but I'll save it for the pm. Also, is there a good alternative to pms on watmm for us to talk/collaborate?
Edited by joshuatx

Oh, this is very good. I hum/whistle that stuff all the time.

There was this place by my old house called Enjoy

The owner, Cinda, knew what the vibe of a small cafe was supposed to be. She had all these Malcom X books on the shelves (large black population there), and she knew all about Solo Jazz. Her food was a slightly better, more spritzerized version of the food from the Seinfeld restaurant. She played the real music too.

pm sent, back to the thread

some good proto-vaporwave fodder i found in my tape crate-digging, can't wait to play with pitch control with this:

omg thats good.

this is exactly the kinda stuff i have in mind too.

Edited by Lane Visitor

I spoke with Donovan Hikaru.. and he's totally down to do a track for this, sounds super fun!

note: his will be original as he doesn't sample (although his very rare "Donovan Hikaru San Francisco Office" alias will sample once in a blue moon)

.. if that's ok? or does it all need to be plunderphonics?

One more thought for 12/24hrs from me (commute then night classes then sleep after this post)...

I figure we set this up as a compilation akin to, I dunno a Pure Moods or new age or ripoff 90s dance music release. I'd be like, self-self-self-aware. Someone could type a cheesy corporate spammy intro about how these are the "next big vaporwave artists"

I'd help prevent "ripoff" decorators (I think) and enhance the premise overall of the music featured - people who already like vaporwave should like it then, right?

sounds good to me, it might be funny to do it all as the same artist like a fake 80s quasi new-age corporate guy but we all make the songs for it (sort of like the opposite of the EDM compilations by jodey kendrick) , the kit-list would also be important as it needs A LOT of bad romplers and shitty late 80s digital synths

hahahaha yes!

Sampling versus original is irrelevant to me. I don't want this to be too limiting on the music end, but aesthetically consistent. By that I mean mostly 90s (late 80s to early 00s) muzak and smooth jazz, effective audio manipulation or arrangements, throwaway corporate visuals of vaporware and flash-in-the-pan tech. John, I think that idea of same name for the album, but with different producers (using same kits too) is great and clever, but a bit restrictive and too anonymous. Also, I think we could maintain a degree of individuality by having the "compilation" concept, so we don't all become too constricted style wise (I'll explain this in detail later)

I had in mind this being an intro for some of us already making music (like Donovan Hikaru) BUT everyone seems down with new, one-off aliases so that seems like a good template. Hell, I'd make a discogs for this thing and link to other existing projects eventually anyway. I dunno, this is something to agree on - I don't want some bolshevik/menshevik split within vaporwave ideology :emotawesomepm9:

I'll compile a list of users from this thread and get the pms going by this afternoon. I think everyone who has been conversing from the start is still around (nopomo kind of disappeared though). There's enough of us here on this thread to make a comp, so I agree we should make it secretive between us. (That said, I also received an email from coolsville overnight :cool: ) By default I figured Jasondonervan could do the cover art...would you?
I wrote a pretty long outline but I'll save it for the pm. Also, is there a good alternative to pms on watmm for us to talk/collaborate?

i want in