IGNORED

Vaporwave

Nebraska

how bout dis

music for your plants usb card release:

http://humanity.zoologyrecords.com/

This is one of the first things from this genre/scene/whatever that got me excited.

Any more recommendations for stuff that isn't just re-edited or filtered old material? (because seriously, why not just listen to the actual 90s Japanese VHS commercial tunes directly?)

I'm already checking out what else this Zoology label has to offer.

you've seen BLANK BANSHEE right?

Really liking that Lifestyle thing.

it's a lifestyle case too. for extreme browsing.

----

re: the hifi vaporwave

basically the moral is: it's okay to try a little bit harder when making this stuff. some people aren't on massive doses of depression meds, or they are and that's the thing.

Edited by sheatheman

so basically vaporwave is shit music with shit visuals?

vaporwave today is to the 90s what boc in 1998 was to the late 70s - not nostalgic art, but art about nostalgia. The distorting effect of memory, the feeling of getting older, the reevaluation of childhood perception.

VWave often uses 80s corporate culture or 90s everyone's a winner! ideology as jumping off points, but to me it's just as much a commentary on modern web2.0 consumer culture as it is about any of that old stuff. It's another example of electronic music's unappreciated ability to act as selfless, vaguely anarchistic social satire.

also it's kinduva rejection of the 00s analogue revival, with its punk sense of "screw hardware, screw theory, screw recognition, everybody grab something & start making noise"

Edited by Cryptowen

i guess it's punk only in the sense that it's so homogenous it's hard to tell any of the artists apart. Needs more of an anarchist real 'fuck you' punk ethos in my opinion before it becomes something genuinely interesting

i guess it's punk only in the sense that it's so homogenous it's hard to tell any of the artists apart. Needs more of an anarchist real 'fuck you' punk ethos in my opinion before it becomes something genuinely interesting

yeah i can agree with that. i dig a lot of it aesthetically, but like much of whatchu might call hipster culture there's this distinct sense of awareness without action, a kind of "ehh well what can ya do eh wot wot" that lacks an explicit emotional core or aggressiveness.

Basically that's my issue with electronic music in general - it can be unique & beautiful & otherworldy, but all too often there's this aloof disdain for the human experience, like it's afraid to connect with life in a direct way

Basically that's my issue with electronic music in general - it can be unique & beautiful & otherworldy, but all too often there's this aloof disdain for the human experience, like it's afraid to connect with life in a direct way

nail meet head. Yes couldn't agree more. This was something that most commonly found in 'industrial' music and experimental music of the late 70s until the mid 90s and then somewhere along the line people got afraid to place any kind of ethos at the forefront of the music. Now the best we have are people like Vatican Shadow who puts terrorist imagery all over his records for no other fucking reason than besides it looking cool and 'dark'. Muslimgauze was the real deal, he had very controversial beliefs and made a point to scream them from the rooftops of every release he did. We need 100 more musicians like that in the scene

I feel like Oneohtrix Point never is trying to put more of his human experience into his music and the videos and stuff, and i think it works.

I was a tad disappointed that Autechre seems to have abandoned some of their political philosophies in general in terms of relating back to their music. The way they sounded on the AAA chat i can't see the 2014 Autechre doing something like the Anti EP now.

Edited by John Ehrlichman

Muslimgauze was the real deal

ah yeh

In part due to his massive oeuvre, I tend to think of Muslimgauze less as an electronic musician, and more as a political outsider type who happened to use our kit. His sound is more professional than that of the wesley willis/jandek crowd, but that's merely a bi-product of his chosen tools imo

With industrial music you had a very clear reason for the depersonalization, & some genres still earnestly explore that angle to this day. But other stuff...i dunno, the "jokey disinterested geek who makes killer tunes" persona was fun in 1994, but c'mahhhnnnn

Maybe that's part of the reason I like OPN so much? Like, some people round these parts roll their eyes at his interviews full of big words & philosopher shout-outs, but I enjoy the fact that he has very clear ideas about what he's doing with music, & doesn't feel the need to front like he's another bearded synth-wizard making sound for sound's sake.

also it's kinduva rejection of the 00s analogue revival, with its punk sense of "screw hardware, screw theory, screw recognition, everybody grab something & start making noise"

yes... kinda makes me think of the punk rockness of new order and pet shop boys and other similar groups using digital synths, cuz it was cheaper and more available, and that quintessential sound came outta that.. it's like fuck it, let's use this shitty yamaha dx9 cuz it's within our reach, rather than some rare $10,000 modular.. and ya know what? wouldnt even want it ANYWAY lol

That Cisco stuff!

yeeeeessss!

Edited by Lane Visitor

P.S. Anyone a fan of Ailanthus Recordings (Internet Club, Lindsheaven, Luxury Elite)? They've actually done a wide variety of artists with different styles not just vaporwave... pretty cool stuff.. digging the new Curt Crackrach (not quite vwave but groovy- i think all original), and Coastal Nostalgia (straight plundering i believe, but soo good as more of a curator/theme thing)...

http://ailanthusrecordings.bandcamp.com/

http://ailanthusrecordings.bandcamp.com/album/single-room-occupant

http://ailanthusrecordings.bandcamp.com/album/coastal-nostalgia

Edited by Lane Visitor

i like sound for sounds sake, i mean someone can be a complete cunt that i don't want to personally have anything to do with let alone know their philosophy about fucking anything, but they might be a great chef. This philosophy bullshit effected the visual arts to the point that it didn't matter what the painting looked like as long as the accompanying message was compelling in some pointless way that appealed to art nobs, or the 'artists' was a character. Don't follow the same path to immolation for music, pretty please.

Now i get that this isn't entirely what you mean, but this is watmm so i'm going for it.

it didn't matter what the painting looked like as long as the accompanying message was compelling in some pointless way that appealed to art nobs, or the 'artists' was a character.

i dunno, most of the abstract art i encounter appeals to me on a design level even if I have no idea what the ulterior motive is. There's definitely some naked-chinese-man-rolling-in-chefboyardee-screamingcore to be found, but at the same time I think there's this "UGH STUPID ENGLISH MAJORS, THE CURTAIN WAS BLUE, END OF STORY" mindset where folks don't want to look past the surface, or they act like there's no other angles to play at besides representational realism.

aesthetically enjoyable art & things that get my brain firing ideas about the universe tend to go hand in hand, but that might just be me constantly applying my own experience to everything

so basically vaporwave is shit music with shit visuals?

vaporwave today is to the 90s what boc in 1998 was to the late 70s - not nostalgic art, but art about nostalgia. The distorting effect of memory, the feeling of getting older, the reevaluation of childhood perception.

That's what excited my about chillwave/hypnagogic pop/glo-fi/etc and then about vaporwave after that. For me BoC wasn't as direct in that sense. I've used this metaphor before, but listening to BoC is like stumbling upon all the old stuff I found at my grandparents house, old library books, or all the things my parents played (music, vhs tapes, etc) that I enjoyed in a second-hand way.

The stuff that really, really speaks to me is usually more nostalgic in a vague or subtle sense, or avoids the common tropes of vaporwave/chillwave. That's partially why witch-house so often missed the mark, it was so self-constrained. I suppose that's why I like OPN so much, and 1991 last year.

That Cisco stuff!

Some vaporwave is late 70s music though. Fleetwood Mac - Rumors basically set the precedent for session musicians for about 15 years.

Fleetwood Mac is easily the most referenced album I've seen on audiophile forums, once they actually talk about what they listen to. They and Steely Dan made what are considered some of the best recorded albums of all time.

*cisco vid*

Internet Club sampled this as Monument XIII for his album "Honestly".

Future bass can sound pretty punk; it can have that mad-at-the-system anti-war political vibe.

Also read the description on this: http://fadetomind.net/music/eps/fatima-al-qadiri-desert-strike/

My point is that you could take a lot of music from the late 70s and turn it into vaporwave, that vaporwave depends on a studio aesthetic more than it does a decade.

It's an aural shrine to the silent efforts of audio engineers and their side projects, and that is a phenomenon that spans decades and will probably endure.

Also, Ghettoville has a lot of vaporwave tracks.

Edited by sheatheman